By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One word to describe the PS4X1WU era and its Game of the Generation (GotG)

KLAMarine said:

I'm not saying Destiny was the best game of the 8th gen, all I'm saying is it was the most noteworthy with its release timing and big names backing it: Activision and Bungie, the latter of which had never developed a prominent sci-fi shooter for the PS platform.

GotG is not always a form of praise. For me, Destiny is worthy of the GotG label for how disappointing it was despite its great promise.

ET is potential candidate of being a Game of its Respective Generation because of its impact on the industry at its time. Notorious lack of quality that hurts an industry can make you a GotG.

What???  I..  I..  

For the life of me I cannot understand your reasoning here.

Btw, I dont think Destiny was nearly as dissapointing as No Mans Sky, Watch Dogs and Mass Effect 3.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
KLAMarine said:

...Loot?...

For me, GotG is not about a game being good or bad. It's more about 'noteworthiness'. See OP for vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=214574

But... What exactly made Destiny so noteworthy to you?

A number of things:

Activi$$$ion and Bungie of Halo fame were collaborating to make a game. Bungie was making a sci-fi shooter for PlayStation after years of exclusively developing for XBox. One of the most expensive games developed for the 8th gen, perhaps the most expensive. Even had some celebrities providing voicework, most prominently Peter Dinklage.

chakkra said:
KLAMarine said:

I'm not saying Destiny was the best game of the 8th gen, all I'm saying is it was the most noteworthy with its release timing and big names backing it: Activision and Bungie, the latter of which had never developed a prominent sci-fi shooter for the PS platform.

GotG is not always a form of praise. For me, Destiny is worthy of the GotG label for how disappointing it was despite its great promise.

ET is potential candidate of being a Game of its Respective Generation because of its impact on the industry at its time. Notorious lack of quality that hurts an industry can make you a GotG.

What???  I..  I..  

For the life of me I cannot understand your reasoning here.

GotG is a tough label to pin down, I will agree especially for 8th gen. For me, a GotG can qualify via a number of things: industry impact like how CoD pretty much ruled most of the 7th gen and influenced so many other games to come. Halo put XBox on the map, Super Mario Brothers helped to revitalize the video game industry in the US, Sonic put Sega on the map and provided Nintendo its first serious competition, SM64 showed the world how to do 3d gaming and brought thumbsticks back to controllers for good.

chakkra said:

Btw, I dont think Destiny was nearly as dissapointing as No Mans Sky, Watch Dogs and Mass Effect 3.

Watch Dogs was definitely in the running for me as GotG but Watch Dogs didn't have Bungie or Activision $$$. Neither did NMS. ME3 was a 7th gen game.

My current, biased perception of the 8th gen is one of disappointment so I feel GotG needs to reflect the disappointment that was to come during the 8th gen...

Then again, perhaps PT should have been GotG?.. Hmm...

This is why I made this thread: I wanna know what others think. What does everyone else think? What do you think? What's your GotG and I don't mean which was your favorite or which you enjoyed the most but rather which was most noteworthy, most significant, most representative of the 8th gen?

Dumpster fire. Wait... no, that's two words.

Embarrassing. (With the exception of PlayStation on certain fronts.)