By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Former Naughty Dog Employee Says He Was Sexually Harassed

Obviously, if true (and it likely is) there are quite a few heads that need to roll and a corporate cleaning of the Playstation HR department is in order (and likely an executive or two who may have ordered them to offer hush money) but I do have to admit that I find myself a bit wary of the mob mentality I've seen in some of the other forums. While the employee's claim must be taken with the utmost seriousness and seen as sincere, that does not mean that we should not wait for more evidence to emerge before deciding upon what the truth might be. I understand that the court of public opinion is different from the court of law, and that victims who report these cases are far likelier to be telling the truth than not, yet still, especially as an American, I feel that people need to be able to defend themselves fairly from any accusation before they are judged for it. 

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Madword said:

The hours thing is totally unacceptable in a company. Even when I have to pick up a few extra hours because of issues outside my control it knackers me out and also drains the excitement of life. I've done worse crunch 2+ years ago and its horrid, Sony definitely need to sort that out as its just not helpful to a teams success.

As for this case, like anything, there are two sides to a story. Perhaps an incident did happen which is shocking and taken into account with the stupid crunch is unacceptable, or perhaps the employee is one of those employees that has the everything is against them mentality (I've met a few people like that who will always see a weird side to anything).

As for the payoff. I've worked in companies where an employee is doing a poor job and they've been there a long time and sometimes to get rid of them they pay them a specific salary amount to just get them out of the building because they are so negative its bringing down the rest of the team. Though 20k is a lot.

So I guess what I am saying is, who knows what happen, but its going to be interesting to see where this goes from here. If they are lying and it gains news coverage, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony sue.

20k is not a lot in terms of sexual harassment cases.

I meant 20k payoff to just get a poor employee to leave not in terms of sexual harassment.

Again who knows, but who says it was 20k, or 20k was including payoff or bonues, or... now im speculating, but to me rather than tweet it and leave it at that, they should be going to the police. 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

PhatChips said:
Damn. I would've signed for that money

That money is absolutely nothing, besides if he took it he'd seen it as him giving up and letting the sexual harassment be justified in a sense, which I wouldn't do either.

twintail said:
OTBWY said:

And that is why you should read my previous comment. Nobody knows the whole truth.

If it does end up being true though, and ND is guilty of allowing this to happen in their studio, then I would like to see what people (hardcore fans) make of their sacred cow of a studio. This kind of environment is not acceptable, anywhere.

Your very comment was pretty much, if this is true then ND is to blame for letting it happen. That is pretty accusatory for something that may have been an isolated case. 

OTBWY said:
All this is going to be is just ammo for the console war. I have seen it at other places to my amazement. All I want to say is:

- This is could be a isolated issue, we don't know the whole truth.
- If true, then Sony is doing what many other Japanese and even American companies do (which is the real issue).

Either way, it's horrible.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
think-man said:
Was he sexually harassed by another male?

I'm not sure he didn't say but does it really matter?

It would matter to me. 

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Aeolus451 said:
Seems really fishy but could be true. I'll wait on more info before I believe it or not.

Dont know what is fishy about this.

Sooner or later this people will get exposed because the victims are trying to gain courage with the so many cases.

That Hollywood case 

The polygon idiot that got fired

That creepy movie reviwer

Tons of cases in music industry.

Now we wait for naughty dog and sony to comment.

Dont think they'll comment unless its taken to court. Really rather than using social media which to me rings alarm bells, its got to go to court. That's the only way that real justice can take place... I have trust issues about anyone who uses social media to state something this serious to their followers but is unable to go to the police.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I believe every accusation should be taken seriously. Why doubt every person and think they're lying?

If he is lying, then we can simply move on. If he's saying the truth, then it'll be one of many sexual assaults that have been hidden for far too long

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Aeolus451 said:
Seems really fishy but could be true. I'll wait on more info before I believe it or not.

Dont know what is fishy about this.

Sooner or later this people will get exposed because the victims are trying to gain courage with the so many cases.

That Hollywood case 

The polygon idiot that got fired

That creepy movie reviwer

Tons of cases in music industry.

Now we wait for naughty dog and sony to comment.

There's alot of cases where it's false and the person made the accusation for money or to get attention of some sort. I'm always skeptical of this stuff by default. What's weird in this situation is that he was "fired immediately after making the accusation" and was given just 20k as hush money by sony. 

monocle_layton said:
I believe every accusation should be taken seriously. Why doubt every person and think they're lying?

If he is lying, then we can simply move on. If he's saying the truth, then it'll be one of many sexual assaults that have been hidden for far too long

I agree that every accusation should be taken seriously but there's such a thing as due process. You can't just take their word for it and form a lynch mob. It has to be investigated and proven true before you treat a person as guilty. If he's lying about this for whatever reason, he should be sued for defamation/damages and sent to jail for falsifying a report of sexual assualt/rape. 

SegataSanshiro said:
merman said:

outside of this, what else has happened?

Working conditions Henning described. Insane work hours, with little to not break between projects. Some people not even going home for the week. Many of them very stressed out. Poor working conditions overall. Why she now works at EA. They let her have a smaller staff and have more time to work on a project with less hours a week.

So.... just like pretty much every other video game studio on the planet. I've slept under my desk more than one occassion. It's the norm for the industry, not the exception.