By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Xbox One X will be an absolute disaster

NATO said:
The fact that the PS4 pro, even before the Xbox One X announcement, wasn't exactly flying off of shelves should tell you all you need to know.

Pretty much this.

Around the Network
ThisGuyFooks said:
Zach808 said:

I'm talking about all the kids who ask for the X for Christmas, then the parents end up getting the S because it sounds like X and because it's a lot cheaper.

MOTHER AT GAMESTOP

Mom: I want to know the difference between the Xbox One S and Xbox One X, because my son is asking me for one but i already bought him the S not so long ago.

Gamestop Employee: Uhm, well...the difference is that it displays the games at 4K.

Mom: Fourkay?

Gamestop Employee: 4K mam, it means that the image is sharper on your TV.

Mom: And...that is all? Does it have new games or something?

Gamestop Employee: Well, no. Both the S and X share the same library of games.

Mom: Timmy, 500$ is sounding like too much money for almost the same thing that you have.

Timmy: But mom!!!! 

Mom: Enough Tim, pick something else. Forget about the One X.

The Xbox one x isn't for little kids, it's for the hardcore console gamers or someone who wants a device to go with their 4k t.v. The biggest games which are multiplatform are going to run, look and play better on the Xbox one x. That will attract the hardcore gamers to purchase the system. We also have to remember hardcore gamers may not be the majority, but they buy the most games for their consoles compare to casual gamers. And at the end of the day, selling software means a lot more for these companies than selling consoles.

NATO said:
The fact that the PS4 pro, even before the Xbox One X announcement, wasn't exactly flying off of shelves should tell you all you need to know.

If I recall correctly, the Pro did much better than Sony was anticipating.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I dont know if it will be a disaster, but i will say until they have competitive triple market penetration like sony and to a lesser degree nintendo they will be doomed to mediocre hardware/software sales compared to those companies. Even more so with sony who has that aspect of the industry consistently on lock for 20+ years.

I think it'll do well with the hardcore Xbox fans who want to move up (just like the ps4 users who moved up to the pro) and I'm sure it'll be important to the extreme fans who'll want to trump the my version is the best version narrative. But MS are still quite a poor games company and you look at 2017 and 2018 line ups and yet again Sony (and Nintendo) are kicking their butts. Sony have so many games I think it could be very embarrassing. Just the breadth and width and thats where MS just don't get it.

It's all about timing. 3rd party best versions was very important at the start of a gen when both MS and Sony didn't have much content to push to gamers. So people looked at performance and cost, and Sony had MS beat in both. But as we move forward with consoles potentially being backwards compatible and people building up their catalogues, MS needs to push a were king of gaming narrative and they just don't seem that bothered or at least not that serious about it. So 3rd party best is going to bring the hardcore Xbox across and potentially some users who moved away from MS at the start of the gen, but the rest will continue to look at price and content, and when they see an expensive new console from MS, its just not going to push the users to it.

I expect MS to beat Sony potentially in November but less than 100k if that, and that all depends on Sony's bundles/pricing. Sony will beat MS in total sales for 2017 and will do the same in 2018.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

sethnintendo said:

Yet they are gradually moving themselves to PC only.  We all know consoles these days are just cheap PCs.  I see no future for Micorosoft in the conosle market.  They already confirmed that with how much dedication they showed with publishing games for their consoles.  They showed as much support as Sony showed with the Vita.

If you think Microsoft is ever going to be relevent in the PC gaming market... Then you haven't been paying attention for the last 20 years.
They aren't going to abandon Xbox when they are unable to make any kind of movement in the PC space.

They are only relevant in the PC gaming market because there is no other alternative.  Linux sucks because more than half the games on Steam still aren't available in Linux form.  Apple sucks because they are Apple.  So what is left?  Microsoft

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Oh it's called hi-res sound now. I had a demonstration DVD when that just came out with lossles 96khz music, sounded great, that's getting close to 20 years ago. Btw if you love good quality sound, get Akira 25th anniversary edition. The 192khz/24bit Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is phenomenal. (runs close to 6mbps for sound alone) Dolby atmos is pedestrian 48khz though.

I doubt consoles will take advantage of hi res audio. The ps3 already supported upto 7.1 192/24 audio, not a single game until now has gone beyond the standard 48khz and still use lossy compressed samples.

I looked up hi-res audio, what a mess of fragmented services and formats. I'm more into movie sound, it's a shame 4K blu-ray still has the exact same audio as standard blu-ray. Still waiting on that 96khz to become standard. The first amp I bought that supported 96khz is actually 20 years old already :/

My AMP supports 192khz @ 48bit.
How much of that is marketing fluff, no idea.

The Original Xbox actually had super beastly Audio capabilities for the time, 48khz, 5.1 3D positional and a ton of Audio effects all done on the hardware audio block... Could be argued that the Xbox 360 was actually a regression in many aspects to it's Audio implementation.
Once nVidia abandoned Soundstorm (That the original Xbox uses) and Creative demolished Aureal A3D it seemed like Audio stagntated for the longest time.

Next gen consoles we might see a significant jump as physics based audio might become a thing, keen to see that transition, Audio has been neglected for a long time, not just in the console space, but PC as well.

Yeah I was quite disappointed when the 360 only supported lossy 384kbps Dolby digital or stereo pcm. The original XBox might have had to capabilities yet I remember picking up Fahrenheit on the ps2 for the lossless dolby pro-logic surround sound over optical instead of lossy dolby digital. It doesn't matter what the console can do internally if you can't get it out of the system :/

Some games on the ps3 and I think KZ SF too on ps4 that let you specify your speaker setup and placement. That's good enough, no need to go full dolby atmos. KZ SF also realistically propegated the audio through the level instead of the standard filters. Unfortunately no other game seems to have picked that up. Perhaps VR will revive interest in that at some point as more realistic audio will help with immersion.

I guess the move to digital downloads has been partly responsible for holding audio back as well. Lossy compressed 48khz/16bit samples reduce file size which audio adds a lot too. Real time audio creation could help with that, instead of using specific samples for everything. Is that what you mean by physics based audio? Anyway it drives me nuts when I hear the same stock audio samples in games and tv shows. Is there only one sample in the whole world of a creaky opening door/gate/fence.

Snoopy said:

selling software means a lot more for these companies than selling consoles.

Can't always use this argument though.  Lowest selling systems ever have some of the highest attach rates.

sethnintendo said:
Snoopy said:

selling software means a lot more for these companies than selling consoles.

Can't always use this argument though.  Lowest selling systems ever have some of the highest attach rates.

I need to go find the source, but on the top of my memory, the Ps3 sold just as much if not a little more than the 360. However, the 360 had a much higher attach ratio (almost 2 to 1). It's because of two things. 1. It dominated regions that buy more software for their consoles (North America and U.K.) 2. It also played multiplatform games better so it attracted the hardcore gamers.

That's the other thing, if the Xbox One X just does well in North America and U.K. than the Xbox one X is a success because those regions buy more games for their console than any other regions. Right now Xbox is domination latin America, but it isn't a huge win because they don't buy a lot of games compared to the other regions.

GribbleGrunger said:
I don't think it will be a 'disaster'. Just like Sony, MS will have a target in mind and if they hit it it will be a success.

Did this guy just defend a Microsoft product?!

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).