By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants more "mature" content on the switch

In the ways that make games unique, Nintendo games are already far more mature than anything on almost any other platform.

Around the Network
RJ_Sizzle said:
p0isonparadise said:

When will they learn?

Wanting mature titles is one thing, but getting these fanbases to jump on board to game exclusively on the Switch is going to be a step down. Yes, you can have a portable console, but you have the purchase of extra memory cards, missing features on ports and a convoluted online setup to look forward to, without even mentioning the performance and graphical downgrades. Considering the Switch will continue to cost more than the other two platforms and do less, they should continue to do what they're doing and keep a diverse lineup going on the strength of the hardware. Chasing all the "big boy" titles to lure gamers away from other platforms where they'll possibly end up a gimped experience isn't wise.

Nintendo needs to focus on themselves. They should ignore third parties and shouldn't bother catering to "hardcore" gamers, they've never been part of Nintendo's success and never will be.

N64, GameCube, and the Wii U is what you get when Nintendo tries to please them. 

Shaunodon said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

No shit But I don't think Nintendo is at that point where they think doing such is important enough, especially for From Software. I doubt they're thinking "Damn, we better make an exclusive Souls game!" 

You don't have to believe it, but I just don't see it happening.

Around 3mil for Bloodborne and what, about 1mil+ for Nioh?

For relatively niche titles of a more 'mature' genre, those numbers are no joke.

I don't see why it'd be so crazy.

Nioh isn't a From Software title ... you basically just admitted to knowing nothing, lol. (By the way, Nioh sold 1 million in two weeks. It's probably at 2 mil)

(oops...sorry about this second part if you read it! haha misread your comment, thought you said the numbers were a joke)

Shaunodon said:

Bayonetta and Xenoblade didn't just fall into their lap. Tends to be how it works.

Bayonetta only got acquisitioned by Nintendo because the company literally wouldn't have been able ot make that game without Nintendo. From Software has the funds and money to do that tenfold. 

I had no idea that Bayonetta was an acquisition. I thought Nintendo had been working well with Sega as a third party for the longest and Nintendo decided to resurface Bayonetta without owning the IP. Either way, its a great fit for Nintendo.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Bayonetta only got acquisitioned by Nintendo because the company literally wouldn't have been able ot make that game without Nintendo. From Software has the funds and money to do that tenfold. 

I had no idea that Bayonetta was an acquisition. I thought Nintendo had been working well with Nintendo as a third party for the longest and Nintendo decided to resurface Bayonetta without owning the IP. Either way, its a great fit for Nintendo.

I was using that word liberally, all we know is that Nintendo funded and published Bayonetta 2. They didn't buy the IP. 

Around the Network
DAXFM said:

how do you explain bloodborne?

What do I have to explain about Bloodborne, honestly? It's not exactly hard to comprehend why Bloodborne was an exclusive to Playstation.

First of all, Playstation is much more aware of the marketplace and Sony has made it their goal to capture niche series in hopes of expanding their audience to consumers who otherwise aren't interested in "normal" games. 

Second of all, Sony has wanted to make a sequel to Demons's Souls since it released. In fact, Sony has admitted that not publishing Demons's Souls in North America was a huge blunder on their part. After that game, all the way back in 2009/10, became a success, they'd always wanted to make exclusive Souls games. But From Software wanted to go multiplat and couldn't use the Demon license.

Third of all, at the time Bloodborne released the Souls series had a 66% ownership attach rate on Sony consoles. This was true for Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and it became even more true as time passed with Dark Souls 3. Sony was also the clear leader in market share which made it easy for From Software to choose exclusivity.

Those are just the most obvious but there are probably other reasons.

Honestly you guys act like Nintendo is Microsoft. They're not. While they have been doing better at reaching out to third parties for exclusives is it a coincidence they did it with the two third parties they had the best relationship with? Bayonetta was a Sega IP and Ubisoft has been loving Nintendo when everyone else was down on them. From Software, if anything, is going to release a (probably crap) port of Dark Souls 3. I don't think an exclusive is likely at all.

DAXFM said:

how do you explain bloodborne?

What do I have to explain about Bloodborne, honestly? It's not exactly hard to comprehend why Bloodborne was an exclusive to Playstation.

First of all, Playstation is much more aware of the marketplace and Sony has made it their goal to capture niche series in hopes of expanding their audience to consumers who otherwise aren't interested in "normal" games. 

Second of all, Sony has wanted to make a sequel to Demons's Souls since it released. In fact, Sony has admitted that not publishing Demons's Souls in North America was a huge blunder on their part. After that game, all the way back in 2009/10, became a success, they'd always wanted to make exclusive Souls games. But From Software wanted to go multiplat and couldn't use the Demon license.

Third of all, at the time Bloodborne released the Souls series had a 66% ownership attach rate on Sony consoles. This was true for Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and it became even more true as time passed with Dark Souls 3. Sony was also the clear leader in market share which made it easy for From Software to choose exclusivity.

Honestly you guys act like Nintendo is Microsoft. They're not. While they have been doing better at reaching out to third parties for exclusives is it a coincidence they did it with the two third parties they had the best relationship with? Bayonetta was a Sega IP and Ubisoft has been loving Nintendo when everyone else was down on them. From Software, if anything, is going to release a (probably crap) port of Dark Souls 3. I don't think an exclusive is likely at all.

The real answer is money. From Software does not give a shit if sony is a leader or has a 200% ownership attach rate on consoles.If Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony gives money to From Software, they will do the best version of Darksouls3 on Switch, a new IP exclusive, Demons souls 7, etc.

DAXFM said:

The real answer is money. From Software does not give a shit if sony is a leader or has a 200% ownership attach rate on consoles.If Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony gives money to From Software, they will do the best version of Darksouls3 on Switch, a new IP exclusive, Demons souls 7, etc.

The real reason is you didn't think out your response at all  

This is only a rumour with no real base on it. And this is quite absurd. It's really known that Nintendo always want their fanbase to grow substantially. But Switch as all of their consoles is aimed to kids. Hardcoregamers are not so into the system as the casuals, adults on the otherside are not so impresed like me. And finally for a console to be mature intended, it has to have solid capabilities in the harware department. Almost like a PC rig, not just portable discrete hardware as a smartphone. Who else would like the Switch? I can tell you for sure not real harcore, just compulsive and not into mature stuff.This topic have non sense.

DAXFM said:

The real reason is you didn't think out your response at all  

:O