By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

This is what likely happens when you create something purely out of commercial interests.

Around the Network

Let this be a warning to devs. dont fuck people over with the first one or you lose more money long term. 

Considering digital sales are starting to become 30-50 percent and the fact last gen versions aren't sold anymore.....makes sense. It probably sold around the same

Preston Scott

twintail said:
Digital sales are probably higher than the original at launch. And PC version is coming.

So no real problem.

my hopes and dreams are shattered

Good, this is what happens if you cant deliver 60fps to even the XBox One X or PS4 Pro which was demanded even before these new consoles came out.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
jason1637 said:

Battle.net is really popular thpugh. Overwatch, Hero's of the Storm are successful and they are Battle.net exclusives. 

Ok, I'll change my quote though :

" It's not gonna be as succesful as it could be if it was on Steam, maybe not a flop,but I don't see sucess there either + it's coming out way after the initial release on consoles + It's gonna compete against other high profile AAA  coming out during that week, so the spotlight ain't gonna shine on it, which means less visibility = less potential of sales. "

Unlike uplay and origin, the majority of steam users have little to no issue with using battle.net launcher for some games.

Combine that with the fact the game is notably cheaper for pc and your argument doesn't hold up, a *LARGE* number of people already use battle.net for games like starcraft, overwatch, WoW, Hearthstone and Diablo, I doubt there a many people out there on PC that want to play destiny 2 but will pass on it to avoid using battle.net.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMD-6rxW4AAJBce?format=jpg
That's Ubisofts chart from 2014-2017 game revenue. So it's obvious that digital sales have gone us dramatically in the last 3 years I'd say even more so for destiny. The reason being it released on 360 and PS3 so that brought its digital down further. Going off this chart it's likely that after including digital d2 is down about 25% on D1 but after u account for increased profits for digital and micro transactions increase its highly likely that d2 has made just as much money if not more than d1. I think that's especially impressive considering destinys huge letdown and d2 still not out on pc(could be huge there, like overwatch).

Lol i must disclose thought that I am currently a stockholder in acti-blizzard so I may be biased.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Blood_Tears said:
These comparisons are pretty lame now as retail doesn't matter as much as it did over 3 years ago. AAA titles like this can have 40%+ digital attach rate and it's on two very popular digital platforms with PC still to go. It might sell less than Destiny 1 overall but it will still sell a boatload regardless. Zhuge already commented in the other thread stating with digital Destiny takes number 1 this month over NBA.

Show me one AAA title that had this attach rate. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-03-more-than-50-percent-of-destiny-2-console-sales-were-digital-downloads

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=232695&page=1

Seems like it's down that much because more people are buying digitally.

jason1637 said:
Digital and people are waiting for the PC version.