By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

I think we can say in the USA switch is doing very well, especially considering its price. But if the PS4 is close, I think we can also say that its doing very well considering its 4 odd years old.

So what I am saying is both Switch and PS4 are killing it, the less said about Xbox probably the better. The XBX will see an upturn for at least November, but will the XBX turn out to be the new console for MS or just a Pro and a console that adds to sales, if its the latter they have massive problems because the XBS is not doing that great right now.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Madword said:
I think we can say in the USA switch is doing very well, especially considering its price. But if the PS4 is close, I think we can also say that its doing very well considering its 4 odd years old.

So what I am saying is both Switch and PS4 are killing it, the less said about Xbox probably the better. The XBX will see an upturn for at least November, but will the XBX turn out to be the new console for MS or just a Pro and a console that adds to sales, if its the latter they have massive problems because the XBS is not doing that great right now.

This has consistently been it's best year thus far.  So it's not just doing well "considering."  It's doing really well. 

Shadow1980 said:
DaveTheMinion13 said:

According to NPD Wii U was doing better its first 6 months than the ps3 and 360 did in theirs

Not even close. While the Wii U had a better launch, that initial Nov.-April period still favored the PS3 & 360. For the first six months, the 360 sold 1505k, the PS3 sold 1270k, and the Wii U sold only 1110k. If you exclude that launch holiday, it was even worse:

Love your work. Can you do a x1 vs switch vs ps4 first 12 month comparison (even if its unfair for switch

Shadow1980 said:

I can do that. I'll align them by calendar month, not launch month. And I'll throw the 3DS in for good measure:

PS4 had an awesome first September, I assume due to Destiny. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I just wanna say RIP NeoGAF, a big source for threads like these

Around the Network
poklane said:

Mostly for leaks, but Mat (or NPD itself?) is being more open lately. They uploaded a video for last months NPD, and I think we'll get another one for September. Here are the channel and video in question.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
poklane said:

Mostly for leaks, but Mat (or NPD itself?) is being more open lately. They uploaded a video for last months NPD, and I think we'll get another one for September. Here are the channel and video in question.

True, but GAF's prediction threads were basically the only way we've been able to pluck at specific numbers in 2017. If there aren't any leakers coming to this site any longer, we're likely only going to have console placements from here on out. 

Ariakon said:
Slarvax said:

True, but GAF's prediction threads were basically the only way we've been able to pluck at specific numbers in 2017. If there aren't any leakers coming to this site any longer, we're likely only going to have console placements from here on out. 

True, true. I forgot their prediction threads.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

Slarvax said:
poklane said:

I will add that Matt is very open on Twitter. Disagree with him from time to time (esspecially on the whole lootbox thing), but he is easy to talk to and will have a discussion. Alright guy

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Twitter thread with lots of data.

Video with probably same data: 

Edit: Here we go. From Venturebeat:

• Total: $1.21 billion (up 39 percent from $872 million in September 2016)
  • Hardware: $316 million (up 34 percent from $235 million)
  • Console software: $726 million (up 52 percent from $477 million)
  • PC software: $18 million (down 20 percent from $22 million)
  • Accessories: $150 million (up 9 percent from $138 million)
Top 20
  1. Destiny 2*
  2. NBA 2K18
  3. Madden NFL 18
  4. FIFA 18
  5. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle**
  6. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. NHL 18
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  11. Mario Kart 8**
  12. Metroid: Samus Returns**
  13. Pokken Tournament DX**
  14. Overwatch*
  15. Ark: Survival Evolved**
  16. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  17. NBA Live 18
  18. Splatoon 2**
  19. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  20. Minecraft

* No Battle.net sales
** No digital sales