By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blade Runner 2049 has disappointing opening weekend of $32-35 million

Volterra_90 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yes, its sad the amount of people that still don't see this

They'll see. I think he's growing in recognition, and people are already starting to see what an awesome director he is. I mean, look at 2049. If someone doesn't appreciate the direction in this film, it has really no taste/knowledge about cinema. No offense intended, but the direction is, in this case, objetively brilliant. 

Can't wait what he'll do with Dune. If it happens, that could be pretty epic.

After seeing the masterclass of direction he made with sci fi movies like Arrival and 2049 I'm sure there's no better director on Earth to make Dune. Problem is, if BR2049 fails that might put the project in danger cause, just like with Blade Runner, Dune is not something most normies would get crazy about and is gonna be a huge and really expensive project, needs a big audience.

Around the Network

Ryan Gosling is a huge star..

seems to be doing alright though tbh, far to early for 'buzzword' headlines

2018 Hit List: Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit, Dreams, Spider-Man, God Of War, Days Gone, Medievil, Tomb Raider 3, RDR2 

sethnintendo said:
Smartie900 said:

San Andreas, The Fast and the Furious, Jumanji 2, Moana, etc. all had him blatantly advertised as one of the main selling points of the movie. He can absolutely bring people into seats.

Whoa slow down there buddy.  Your listing too many gems.  I did like the movie where he went around with a baseball bat though.

Which movie was that? That sounds pretty funny. 

Weekend estimates have been lowered to $31.5 million from initial predictions of $45 - $50 million according to Variety.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-blade-runner-2049-opening-weekend-1202583660/

Goodnightmoon said:
Volterra_90 said:

They'll see. I think he's growing in recognition, and people are already starting to see what an awesome director he is. I mean, look at 2049. If someone doesn't appreciate the direction in this film, it has really no taste/knowledge about cinema. No offense intended, but the direction is, in this case, objetively brilliant. 

Can't wait what he'll do with Dune. If it happens, that could be pretty epic.

After seeing the masterclass of direction he made with sci fi movies like Arrival and 2049 I'm sure there's no better director on Earth to make Dune. Problem is, if BR2049 fails that might put the project in danger cause, just like with Blade Runner, Dune is not something most normies would get crazy about and is gonna be a huge and really expensive project, needs a big audience.

Yeah, I honestly think there are only two directors in the world who'd make a real good Dune. Nolan is the other one. But after seeing 2049, I think Villeneuve is the optimal choice. And, if we want Dune to happen, is our turn to spread the world and say how awesome 2049 is. Is outside the norm? Well, for sure. But it's an experience you won't have with almost nothing nowadays. I'm just sad that I couldn't see it on IMAX, because I saw in in a Dolby Atmos room (which is not usual where I live, sadly), and it was pretty awesome. 2049 sound design is something else.

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:
Weekend estimates have been lowered to $31.5 million from initial predictions of $45 - $50 million according to Variety.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-blade-runner-2049-opening-weekend-1202583660/

Word of mouth and Europe's better taste for cinema will save it. At least I hope so.

Goodnightmoon said:
Smartie900 said:

Word of mouth and Europe's better taste for cinema will save it. At least I hope so.

Europe and China will save it :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I think its biggest problem is that it is a sequel to a 35 year old movie that didn't really need a sequel. I mean, you are basically marketing a new property at this point.

Will I see it? Sure. Probably not in theaters though.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Madword said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Europe and China will save it :)

Oh is gonna be released on China? That's a market i still don't understand but i hope it does well there, it could make a huge difference if it clicks with chinese audiences.

An estimated $81 million worldwide over its three-day opening.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bladerunnersequel.htm