By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blade Runner 2049 has disappointing opening weekend of $32-35 million

Mordred11 said:

It's honestly shocking to me how so many people are bashing this movie without even having seen it, only using the fact that it has Blade Runner in its title as the basis behind their criticism. Most of them probably don't even know who Denis Villeneuve is, one of the best movie directors working today.

Agreed, the film is definitely not a cash-grab. Hell, it's far from commercial actually. Long movie, really slow-paced, dialogues about morality and human being, it has barely any action... You know, they could use the Blade Runner mark and shit all over it to make a commercial sucessful movie, but they respect the legacy, and did something new. Despite of being Blade Runner, is pretty different from the first one. 

I think Villeneuve & Nolan are the best modern directors. Their skills are unparalelled, and they have a nearly flawless record. What Villeneuve did with Blade Runner is astonishing. It's hard to make a worthy sequel of a cult film, but he did it anyway.

Around the Network

I have to agree; Blade Runner has had really bad marketing and no hype anywhere. Just saw they made a one-episode-anime prequel for it. Didn't even know it was airing this weekend. Rip.

I was intending to see it with my son today, was surprised there wasn't the normal 11 o'clock showing and that made me feel oh they are not putting it on as many screens. Unfortunately ended up having to sort some work stuff out so going next week. Oh well should be quieter then. Shame if it doesn't do well at the cinema as everyone is saying how good it is and that surprises me.

I expect it to do fine Outside USA, where to be fair is becoming less relevant as needing to do well to be successful.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Smartie900 said:
Lawlight said:

Does The Rock bring people in though? He has quite a lot of bombs.

San Andreas, The Fast and the Furious, Jumanji 2, Moana, etc. all had him blatantly advertised as one of the main selling points of the movie. He can absolutely bring people into seats.

Whoa slow down there buddy.  Your listing too many gems.  I did like the movie where he went around with a baseball bat though.

This saddens me. Denis Villeneuve is an incredible director and this was such a worthy successor to such an important film. The original Blade Runner sucked at the Box office too. Hopefully things are different over this film's course in theatres.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

The movie is amazing, one of the best sequels ever mader, I don't think is gonna do badly on the box office worldwide when all its said and done, certainly it doesn't deserve to do bad.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
How is it falling massively short if it is only 5-8 million behind 40 million$? I'm confused ...

Also Ryan Gosling is a huge star, not just Harrison Ford.

Either way, I doubt it's a good movie, I doubt it's original, and I think we need new franchises. I can't say i'm happy it's failed though, just mixed about it.

The movie is completely awesome and directed by one of the best directors alive in the world, no it doesn't deserve to fail at all, quite the opposite

Volterra_90 said:

This movie is one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen. I'd say that it's hard to say which is best, 2049 or the original. It's not the blockbustery type of film some people might think it is. It's slow-paced, based mainly on dialogues. It's really long, clocking at nearly 3 hours. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a massive hit.

Still, the movie is visually astonishing, it tackles really interesting subjects about replicants and the human being, the plot has some pretty nice twists, acting is top notch, the soundtrack is goddamn brilliant... I think that Villeneuve was the right director to the task of bringing Blade Runner alive. It's a must for those who enjoyed the first one. But, as I said, I don't consider this is the type of film that everyone will enjoy. It goes against some norms dictated by the blockbuster type of cinema, and it's a pretty different experience. The original did something similar back in the 80s. They truly respected what Blade Runner means, and I can see how much love they put into this film. Couldn't leave the cinema happier.

Agree, wonderful movie, deserves all the success it can get, we need more blockbusters like this and not the amount of shit we usually get, its rare to see a 150m film of this artistic quality, if it bombs it would send the wrong message to Hollywood and it would be bad for cinema fans. Thankfully looks like is doing better on Europe, we have better taste for cinema :P

Mordred11 said:

It's honestly shocking to me how so many people are bashing this movie without even having seen it, only using the fact that it has Blade Runner in its title as the basis behind their criticism. Most of them probably don't even know who Denis Villeneuve is, one of the best movie directors working today.

Yes, its sad the amount of people that still don't see this

Goodnightmoon said:
Mordred11 said:

Yes, its sad the amount of people that still don't see this

They'll see. I think he's growing in recognition, and people are already starting to see what an awesome director he is. I mean, look at 2049. If someone doesn't appreciate the direction in this film, it has really no taste/knowledge about cinema. No offense intended, but the direction is, in this case, objetively brilliant. 

Can't wait what he'll do with Dune. If it happens, that could be pretty epic.