By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry vs FIFA on Switch

Why is there no journey mode?

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Why is there no journey mode?

Because that's Frostbite feature, Switch version is not built on Frostbite engine.

Miyamotoo said:
Darwinianevolution said:
So it's slightly better than the 7th gen version, but well below the 8th gen versions. And it's not as much a custom made version so much as a cleaned up version of old PS360 versions. So what everyone expected, then. It doesn't look like it's worth all the fuzz it generated.

I don see how with better textures, better post-processing, better details, better lighting, better effects and normal mapping, and 1080p resolution can be slightly better than 7th gen version.

Port is somewhere between PS3/Xbox 360 and PS4 version.

Because, even though they improved things graphically, they still left mods out of the game. So it's still way below the 8th gen. Graphics on FIFA are not that much of a burden, soccer doesn't need that much to be playable. Mods, however, do affect the quality of the package greatly. Silly of me not mentioning this in my previous comment.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Miyamotoo said:

I don see how with better textures, better post-processing, better details, better lighting, better effects and normal mapping, and 1080p resolution can be slightly better than 7th gen version.

Port is somewhere between PS3/Xbox 360 and PS4 version.

Because, even though they improved things graphically, they still left mods out of the game. So it's still way below the 8th gen. Graphics on FIFA are not that much of a burden, soccer doesn't need that much to be playable. Mods, however, do affect the quality of the package greatly. Silly of me not mentioning this in my previous comment.

If we talk about gameplay and features, they said its closer to PS3/Xbox 360 versions, while graphically it somewhere between PS3/Xbox360 and PS4. Also about mods, "Aside from missing The Journey, all other key modes are present".

Random_Matt said:
Glad it flopped sales wise, EA keep stitching up the consumer.

I think it would have failed regardless what they did.

Maybe it would have sold a little better if they did a true port using the Frostbite engine. But how would it look and run on Switch? Might be limited to 30 fps.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Glad it flopped sales wise, EA keep stitching up the consumer.

On the Eshop the game is in the top 5 of all regions right now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Graphically for me It is good enough, the missing Journey mode It is also not so important from my point of view. BUT how the hell is It possible that they did not include online play with friends????

Even Puyo Puyo Tetris and Bomberman include online Play with friends!!

JEMC said:
Well, at least it's not a straight port of the PS360 versions, which was never out of the question with EA.

I'm still kinda surprised they didn't just port the last gen version over, given EA's track record on Nintendo platforms.

Miyamotoo said:

So better textures, better details, better post-processing, better lighting, better effects and normal mapping, and 1080p resolution compared to PS3/Xbox360, and there are still some people that think thats Switch is power wise just little above PS3/Xbox360.

At this point I think the vast majority of people have accepted that Switch is signficantly more capable than PS3/360, even if it still falls considerably short of PS4/Xbone. Only a dwindling few still cling to the idea that it's barely or not even stronger than last gen.

dx11332sega said:

more pictures from website 

That Switch guy has seen things. Terrible things.

dx11332sega said:
i heard some youtuber saying switch can 1080p on few games docked im unsure if this is undocked and they made it look like that in handheld mode . maybe they're showing undocked footage? idk what im saying XD

Several Switch games run at 1080p when docked; this, ARMS, (when not in splitscreen anyway) and Mario Kart 8, for example.

The DF article I linked has comparison shots where it shows the game docked (1080p) and undocked. (720p)

Well i can confirm it runs great on switch and looks great too. Wireless play whilst travelling is great fun

The Switch version is ok. It's a very half-assed port, but at least they had the decency to make the menus fast and responsive, unlike 13 on Wii U; that's great in my book. 

Only one detail: it looks too dark, and the DF video really shows it. Take also these screenshots, they are supossed to resemble Wembley at 3:00 PM, but the stadium never looks this dark in real life. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.