By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video game companies reach agreement to end voice actor strike

DonFerrari said:

The very important and stressfull work of the VA that do some dozen hours on a game versus coders that put some thousand hours... yes they need a lot of protection and sure besides being paid by the work done they also need extra by number of contracts (while every other business being contracted more frequently is the bonus itself and usually comes with discount on the volume)... and then we'll start hearing more about the rise of cost and etc.

Also on not knowing the project can also help prevent leaks and it isn't as really someone that have to read lines for money needs to know for what they are reading it.

VA's can still make or break gmaes, sure, but I agree that the PROGRAMMERS deserve far more protection then them.

Around the Network

The strike was still going on? Man, that was a long one. Anyway, it's good they reached an agreement. Sounds like it was pretty bad for the VAs, so I hope it's really better now.

TheBraveGallade said:
DonFerrari said:

The very important and stressfull work of the VA that do some dozen hours on a game versus coders that put some thousand hours... yes they need a lot of protection and sure besides being paid by the work done they also need extra by number of contracts (while every other business being contracted more frequently is the bonus itself and usually comes with discount on the volume)... and then we'll start hearing more about the rise of cost and etc.

Also on not knowing the project can also help prevent leaks and it isn't as really someone that have to read lines for money needs to know for what they are reading it.

VA's can still make or break gmaes, sure, but I agree that the PROGRAMMERS deserve far more protection then them.

For the games I like, cinematic experience, VA is very important, but not like most VA in them are really deserving much more than they currently get (doesn't matter the amount, because that was what they were accepting) unless they are capable of delivering more value, in this case they would get more without striking... if they can be "easily" replaced by passerbys that show their work isn't that important (besides 3-10 VA that have main roles in the game)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

poklane said:
Ka-pi96 said:
huh, that was still ongoing? Hadn't heard anything about it for awhile now. Doesn't seem to have affected game releases either...

The recent Life is Strange game was one of the games affected. Ashly Burch didn't reprise her role as Chloe due to the strike.

Yeah when I heard the Ashly Burch wasn't in it it really put me off playing it.  Glad the strikes over and the voice actors  are getting something out of it I think people underestimate the amount of work voice actors put in.

TheBraveGallade said:
DonFerrari said:

Maye some day programmers grow the balls to start a union. Although programming work can easily be shipped to India or China, voice work a bit more difficult. Ofcourse if programmers are smart they create perfect voice synthesizers, no more need for VA! That will have to happen some time anyway, how long can we still go on with pre-recorded questions and answers. Voice actors can then train the AI to sound like them. Basically what the movie The congress is about for voice work. (before it goes all weird)

Around the Network

If I were in one of those companies, I would have told to them that they're fired and hired some other people to do the voice acting or develop a program to do the voices.

Aeolus451 said:
If I were in one of those companies, I would have told to them that they're fired and hired some other people to do the voice acting or develop a program to do the voices.

We should be able to use auto tune to alter people's voice. Just get someone who can speak properly and there you go.

Glad to see it work out. I totally forgot this was even going on.

Snoopy said:
Aeolus451 said:

We should be able to use auto tune to alter people's voice. Just get someone who can speak properly and there you go.

Exactly. I wonder how many gamers skip the voice acted part after they read the subtitle. I do most of the time. They could just find some people with nice voices and just give them a couple hundred to say some lines. It can be edited later. 

Aeolus451 said:
Snoopy said:

Exactly. I wonder how many gamers skip the voice acted part after they read the subtitle. I do most of the time. They could just find some people with nice voices and just give them a couple hundred to say some lines. It can be edited later. 

Maybe the fact that those studios couldn't just find other voice actors underlines their importance? Why is it a bad thing to demand to be treated as much as you're worth?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.