By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video game companies reach agreement to end voice actor strike

vivster said:

Aeolus451 said:

Exactly. I wonder how many gamers skip the voice acted part after they read the subtitle. I do most of the time. They could just find some people with nice voices and just give them a couple hundred to say some lines. It can be edited later. 

Maybe the fact that those studios couldn't just find other voice actors underlines their importance? Why is it a bad thing to demand to be treated as much as you're worth?

Exactly I mean from what I've read the voice actors request weren't outragoues and  wasn't solely  about money  either but health and saftey issues that would effect their abiltiy to work.

This is part of something I read from a similar article:

SAG-AFTRA had previously decried vocal stress issues such as "fainting in sessions, tasting blood, vomiting, losing their voice for a day up to several weeks, and permanently losing their vocal range."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/video-game-voice-actor-strike-might-finally-be-over/

Since I love games with a strong story the voice acting in  it is important to me and I always make it a point to listen to every voice acted part in a game I think trying to use a program to do voice acting   would be a complete mess as it would come across as stiff and lifeless.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Aeolus451 said:

Exactly. I wonder how many gamers skip the voice acted part after they read the subtitle. I do most of the time. They could just find some people with nice voices and just give them a couple hundred to say some lines. It can be edited later. 

Maybe the fact that those studios couldn't just find other voice actors underlines their importance? Why is it a bad thing to demand to be treated as much as you're worth?

Considering how much games like Zelda that have no voice actors sell and many games with VA bomb, how exactly do you gauge how much worthy is the work of each VA? Can you count how many copies were sold because of that person work and how much of the cut he would deserve?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
vivster said:

Considering how much games like Zelda that have no voice actors sell and many games with VA bomb, how exactly do you gauge how much worthy is the work of each VA? Can you count how many copies were sold because of that person work and how much of the cut he would deserve?

And there are so many games with voice actors that sell just as well like  The Last Of Us with Joel and Ellie, Uncharted with Nathan Drake ,Horizon Zero Dawn with Aloy or Telltales Walking Dead with Clementine and Lee  and I couldn't imagine any of these games doing as well with out the amazing voice work that was put into them. Plus you can't act like there haven't been games without voice actors that haven't bombed.

I mean a lot of people who played the walking dead season 1  were so emotinally  connected to Lee and Clem  that they admited to tearing  up at the end and a lot of that was due to the performances  of Dave Fennoy and Melissa Hutchison I couldn't imagine a zelda scenario working for that game. The same goes for the relationship with Joel and Ellie  in The Last Of Us the voice acting there really helped the player to become attached to the characters and again a zelda like approach couldn't work there.

Seems like they had to desperately settle for something. I haven't seen any decline in the quality of VA since the strike started anyway.

GhostlyTheGhost said:
DonFerrari said:

And there are so many games with voice actors that sell just as well like  The Last Of Us with Joel and Ellie, Uncharted with Nathan Drake ,Horizon Zero Dawn with Aloy or Telltales Walking Dead with Clementine and Lee  and I couldn't imagine any of these games doing as well with out the amazing voice work that was put into them. Plus you can't act like there haven't been games without voice actors that haven't bombed.

I mean a lot of people who played the walking dead season 1  were so emotinally  connected to Lee and Clem  that they admited to tearing  up at the end and a lot of that was due to the performances  of Dave Fennoy and Melissa Hutchison I couldn't imagine a zelda scenario working for that game. The same goes for the relationship with Joel and Ellie  in The Last Of Us the voice acting there really helped the player to become attached to the characters and again a zelda like approach couldn't work there.

I'm not admiting or denying. I'm saying how can you put how much each of them is really worth if you can't really assess how many people bought the game because that person was doing the voice of that char.

Sure you can have the top voices (as I said 3 to 10 depending on the game) being more worth and receiving more (they already are) and several of the others could be subbed by some of the coders.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
vivster said:

Aeolus451 said:

They're not worth much. It's just repeating lines into a mic. New ones can be found and trained to do it or a program could be created if it really came down to it. If the voice actors keep pushing, they'll be replaced.

Aeolus451 said:
vivster said:

They're not worth much. It's just repeating lines into a mic. New ones can be found and trained to do it or a program could be created if it really came down to it. If the voice actors keep pushing, they'll be replaced.

You keep pushing that narrative but where is your evidence? If it's so easy to just replace voice actors why aren't companies acting on that? Why did this blow up in the first place? These voice actors have been "pushing it" for 2 years now. And instead of just drawing consequences and booting their asses, an agreement was reached that highly favors the voice actors. Why would companies do that if voice actors are as easily replaceable as you say?

What you're saying goes completely against the reality that is happening.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Aeolus451 said:

You keep pushing that narrative but where is your evidence? If it's so easy to just replace voice actors why aren't companies acting on that? Why did this blow up in the first place? These voice actors have been "pushing it" for 2 years now. And instead of just drawing consequences and booting their asses, an agreement was reached that highly favors the voice actors. Why would companies do that if voice actors are as easily replaceable as you say?

What you're saying goes completely against the reality that is happening.

Why do I need show any evidence for my opinion when you get to sit there on your high horse without having to explain why we need those particular voice actors when they can just get new ones? It's voice acting not actual acting. It's just saying lines into a mic by yourself or with a few other people. 

I think that the companies were trying to be nice and perhaps avoid potential negative PR. Trust me, if it's pushed too much it will be automated or replaced by people who are willing to work for alot cheaper.  Voice acting in gaming is no where near as important as it is in disney content/cartoons and dubbed anime. There's alot of gamers who want games to be less like movies and that means less dialog between characters/cut scenes. 

Same people showing up in a thread about Voice actors, with them calling them garbage and not needed, what else is new

Thank god those people aren't in charge or running in any part of the industry and thank god VA's have the balls to stand up for themselves, unlike that other group, that is seemingly pitted against VA's whenever a thread like this shows up.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The lack of appreciation for the craft continues to depress. I encourage any who think 'just anyone' can voice act for games or any other medium watch a documentary or two on the profession. Programs, lol. The best AI's in the world still can't speak convincingly on their own.