By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yooka-Layle Switch Version Progress Update, a short video showing the Switch Version

I completely forgot about this game. No interest in it at this point. Too many great games coming for me to squeeze this into the budget.

Games are fun.

Around the Network

I take it we're not gonna see this game until sometime next year. What a missed opportunity, there's gonna be plenty of better platformers by that point (yes I still have faith in Sonic Forces). I wanna say I'll still get it, but there's just so much great content on the Switch and I only have so much time and money.

-Lonely_Dolphin

This whole affair has become something of a slow motion trainwreck tbh.

Nuvendil said:

Unity is flexible to a degree but not a particularly great engine frankly.  Honestly, with the level of graphics they were looking to push, UE4 would have been a better choice. 

Yeah it seems like 95% of the time I see the Unity logo in association with a console game it either has poor performance or looks like something you'd get for 99c on the app store. Not sure why they chose it for YK.

curl-6 said:

This whole affair has become something of a slow motion trainwreck tbh.

Nuvendil said:

Unity is flexible to a degree but not a particularly great engine frankly.  Honestly, with the level of graphics they were looking to push, UE4 would have been a better choice. 

Yeah it seems like 95% of the time I see the Unity logo in association with a console game it either has poor performance or looks like something you'd get for 99c on the app store. Not sure why they chose it for YK.

They chose it because it's a one time down payment, no royalties.

Unity can do great stuff, don't get me wrong.  Unity powers Ori and the Blind Forest.  But here's another thing:  paid versions of the engine don't have to show off the Unity logo.  Free versions are required to do so.  So a lot of games where you see that logo are by devs who wouldn't even pony up the money for the full version :P

Thing is though, there's a soft ceiling to what Unity can do.  It's not built with high-end graphics basically already integrated to some degree.  You can push it to do it, but it's a lot of extra work.  So long as you don't want to go that high end, it's not a huge hurdle.  But from the very beginning, that's what Playtonic wanted.  And so they should have looked for an engine predisposed to that.  

Take your time, the end of the year is getting quite packed already, game wise. I probably wouldn't play this until next year anyways.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Cloudman said:
Take your time, the end of the year is getting quite packed already, game wise. I probably wouldn't play this until next year anyways.

Unless it goes out in February, I'll probably be too busy with Octopath Traveler, Kirby Star Allies, SMT Strange Journey Redux and whatever might come out during Spring or early summer xD

Damn, I wasn't even thinking of those games. I was just thinking of Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and possibly Doom.  With those games too, I'd have my hands full for awhile longer.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

Yeah, at this point I'd even say it would be better for them to hang back and release it during the Jan-Feb drought instead of these holidays where it'll get trampled by the likes of Odyssey.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of technical hurdle and why it can only be solved by an engine update.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I'd be interested to hear what kind of technical hurdle and why it can only be solved by an engine update.

I mean, it can be any number of things.  I've been working with UE4 for a while and updates can contain new features, major changes to how the engine handles certain things to make it more efficient, stability improvements.  So who knows.  

Nuvendil said:
vivster said:

I mean, it can be any number of things.  I've been working with UE4 for a while and updates can contain new features, major changes to how the engine handles certain things to make it more efficient, stability improvements.  So who knows.  

Yeah, but they're using the same engine as on the platforms where they already released the game on. So why is it working there and on the Switch they suddenly need an update? Special features for mobile processors missing from the engine?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.