By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yooka-Layle Switch Version Progress Update, a short video showing the Switch Version

vivster said:
Nuvendil said:

I mean, it can be any number of things.  I've been working with UE4 for a while and updates can contain new features, major changes to how the engine handles certain things to make it more efficient, stability improvements.  So who knows.  

Yeah, but they're using the same engine as on the platforms where they already released the game on. So why is it working there and on the Switch they suddenly need an update? Special features for mobile processors missing from the engine?

The Switch is not as technically capable, could just be some performance hiccups when a lot of enemies are on screen or alpha effects are on screen.  Or when the whole full sized level is unlocked, that could cause a drain, depending on how well they manage their LOD.  Like I said, could be any number of things.  Assuming they are shooting straight with us and it really is very close to done, just held up by this last thing, then it could very well be that there's something coming in this next update that will help resolve it.  I don't know the contents of the update.  If someone does, you could probably work out what the issue likely is.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Nuvendil said:

I mean, it can be any number of things.  I've been working with UE4 for a while and updates can contain new features, major changes to how the engine handles certain things to make it more efficient, stability improvements.  So who knows.  

Yeah, but they're using the same engine as on the platforms where they already released the game on. So why is it working there and on the Switch they suddenly need an update? Special features for mobile processors missing from the engine?

Isn't the game using the Unity Engine? Most unity engine games for switch haven't released or have been delayed. 

Since I'm a WiiU backer I'll get it on my Switch regardless and I'll probably have a better time than most on my first playthrough since they are bringing all of the camera and gameplay improvements for Switch launch.

Unity seems to have trouble running on Switch due to poor optimization for the System. Quite a few games running in Unity has problems on Switch and needed patches.

Ive been waiting for this since March. Ive skipped the ps4 version even though ive seen it numerous times on sale. Might aswell push it back to 2018 now cos this year is ram packed and SMO would destroy it anyway!

Reading this thread it seems like unity does not make efficient use of the hardware on offer and so many games simply won't perform well with it on Switch. PS4 and Xbone are sufficiently powerful enough to not have to worry about lack of optimisation of the underlying game engine. Hopefully lessons will be learned and other more ambitious games won't use unity if that is the case. I'd have to agree the optimal release window for the game seems to have passed but hopefully the game will be tweaked and still be worthwhile.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
Reading this thread it seems like unity does not make efficient use of the hardware on offer and so many games simply won't perform well with it on Switch. PS4 and Xbone are sufficiently powerful enough to not have to worry about lack of optimisation of the underlying game engine. Hopefully lessons will be learned and other more ambitious games won't use unity if that is the case. I'd have to agree the optimal release window for the game seems to have passed but hopefully the game will be tweaked and still be worthwhile.

Even on PS4/Xbone I can think of quite a few Unity games with performance problems. Assassin's Creed for example. :P

Definitely took a long time, and still not release date yet D:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

curl-6 said:
Cloudman said:
Take your time, the end of the year is getting quite packed already, game wise. I probably wouldn't play this until next year anyways.

Yeah, at this point I'd even say it would be better for them to hang back and release it during the Jan-Feb drought instead of these holidays where it'll get trampled by the likes of Odyssey.

Yeah, I don't know a lot about Yooka-Layle, but if it is a fun game I'd hate to see it get drowned out during the holidays.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread