By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Bodhesatva said:

If Wii Play didn't exist, and Wii Sports didn't come with the console, would you have bought other games, or would you have simply let your system sit there idle? Serious question. 

I'd never let it be idle, that's for sure.

I'm price conscious, so bought the console when I realised it was going to be popular enough for me not to be able to wait for a price drop (with something this popular it'd be crazy to drop the price in the first 2 years). I really like Wii Sports and think Wii Play is worth the extra money, so that played into it too.

If I had bought the console, I'd at least have bought one game for it - even without Wii Sports or Play. Twilight Princess would be my choice, but I'm now playing with the thought of playing the Zeldas I think I'll like best "chronologically" (Zelda LLTP, OT, MM, then TP - I've only ever played OT). Super Paper Mario also very much caught my eye, but it's unreleased in Europe. There's also a bunch of stuff to play on the VC (I have a shopping list of a handful of released games, and a lot more I think will be released eventually). Also there's Resident Evil 4 (budget priced, never played), Super Mario Galaxy (my kind of game, lookin' just good enough), MySims (girlfriend loved it), Metroid Prime (maybe dependent on online, I'd like an online "FPS" that's not full of macho brats), Mario Strikers Charged (especially if they organize championships here - unofficial even, on websites and such)... etc. And there's lot of other games I'd sure rent, if only they rented games where I live (that's my biggest gripe with gaming here). I'd rent at least a handful of games that are out now and I'd never buy. Monkey Ball (might actually buy, for a gift), Kororinpa, Mercury Meltdown, that kind of game. I may start buying and trading them back in, but that still sets me back more than renting. Lending would be great, but not many buddies with a Wii (and most will mod them for pirating, which is a shame and I refuse to do - unless I can build the chip myself, not really for pirating, just for fun, and after the 2year warranty - I am a geek after all). 

But again, collecting dust? Never.

I just can't spend all my entertainment money in one place. And there's also the time thing. A pass to see all movies I want for a year is another €175 around here, and we have to make it worth it by seeing at least one movie per week... hehe. That, and having a social life, also expensive and time consuming.

Well, off to sleep that it's 7am here, and I still haven't slept with working for my theasis and posting on forums...

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Around the Network

The simple answer, and the correct answer in this case, is that neither counting all of Sports/Play sales or none of Sports/Play sales gives us an accurate view of Wii's performance.

Include all Sports/Play sales, and Wii software looks very very good, though not incredible. Include none of it, and it looks pretty bad.

But a more accurate view would include SOME of each games sales. Because for one audience, they are the primary games they're buying the system for. Nintendo offered two pack-in titles to make it easy for this customer, who maybe isn't as familiar with videogames. For another audience, the primary games they want are Zelda and Paper Mario, but Wii Sports is free, after all.

The other problem is that you're picking out a single week. Overall software sales per system aren't listed, but for a week like the debut of Paper Mario, the attach ratio was at 6.2 if you don't count Sports at all, but count Play entirely. With a bunch of big games coming out soon, we'll see more bumps like that. Mario Party, Strikers, Pokemon, Brain Academy and Metroid are the big exclusives between now and the end of summer.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Let's see I play maybe 10hrs per week. I feel I own 12 games for my Wii. ------------- wii ------------------------------- Wii Sports - only with friends Wii Play - only with friends Excite Truck - sometimes solo, mostly with friends Zelda - finished. Godfather - havn't started ---------non wii, sort of--------------------- Metroid Prime 2 (bought for Wii no GC) - about 40% done. 6 VC games (4 NES, 2 SNES) - mostly solo, but some with people, like Donkey Kong Country. You see my point. You really can't judge the attach rate that easily anymore. With all of this bc you could have a lot of people who are that expanded gamer section of people who have never played or havn't played in a long time. These individuals probably have wii sports and maybe play. Then the 2nd group probably have a lot of vc games. Let's face it, Sony does not have a huge downloadable library yet (Unless I am reading the playstation website wrong it looks like there are 30). Wii has what 110+ vc games already? I bet that if you took the vc games into account you would be closer the the % you gave sony. Plus, sports and play are games and should be counted. How many consoles are being sold because of those games? I would argue a decent percentage. BTW, Kwaad how many times are you going to have threads that argue the attach rates between ps3 and wii? I know you have done this a few times now.

Kwaad said:

The Wii, has a GREAT GREAT GREAT lineup. Zelda, Wario, Rayman, RedSteel, Mario Party and quite a few others.

All the PS3 has to really reply with in terms of lineup, is resistance, and motorstorm.  

For all I care a freight-train could run through sony headquarters and I would laugh...

BTW... This highly editted version of one of Kwaad's above posts is about to become my new signature.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

No more posting guys, seriously. Too many arguments coming this way against kwaad. I feel Bodhesatva had it just right and was valid enough to make kwaad think, but all this extra stuff coming in is what overwhelms people and makes them go overboard.

Around the Network

Stop trolling Kwaad when he's actually making a good (if old) argument. Clearly there are a lot of people satisfied with just Wii Sports and Wii Play (just look at Japan sales). Between those two, and the Virtual Console, other software sales are going to be lower than "normal". This is also a week where nothing really came out, like 6 weeks since Paper Mario and a week before Mario Party, so new users will either buy a game or two to try it out or stick to just Wii Sports, and current users have nothing new to buy so stick to old games or the VC. The attach ratio is still like 2-3 overall not counting Wii Sports, Wii Play, or the VC at all which isn't great but is hardly terrible. Nowhere near 360 levels but I think still higher than the PS3 overall.

Kwaad said:

The PS3 would be around 4% if MLB didnt come out.

but MLB did come out so your arguement falls apart. 

I have to agree with some of the above posts. If Wii Sports had not been packaged with the Wii, I would have bought another game in it's place. I may have even bought Wii Sports seperate. You also have to remember without Wii Sports packaged in, the system probably would have been even cheaper. I know this is just a single case, but we can look over to Japan and see what happens when Wii Sports is not packaged in with the system.

the above comment totally debunks kwaad's arguments, gj mate =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

wanna see some bad software numbers kwaad?, take a look at ps3 in japan... :( although im from the ninty-camp, I do feel sorry for sony, it's bad for the competition if sony keeps fucking up, and bad competition isn't good for the consumers...in other words, us.