By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The reason they're low is because of the inclusion of Wii sports and Wii play with the hardware, it gives people gaming without the need to buy anything else immediately

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

I can see your point more for Wii Play but I can't agree for Wii Sports. Personally, if Wii Sports did not come with the system I would've bought it. Right along with LoZ:TP. How could you pass up the first game to have motion controls? This is why it still sells well in Japan. Would it sell 1:1 with the console itself, probably not, but I think it would still end up being a very high precentage and still considered a success for Nintendo.

The attach rate statistics are the exact reason you can't just not include these, Kwaad.

Yes, the games come automatically with the system. Do you know why people are buying less games for their Wii? Because they already have Wii Sports and Wii Play. You buy a system and an extra controller, and for a lot of people, bam, you have enough games to keep you occupied until Christmas. If those games weren't included, then other games would be purchased in their place. The people who are currently content with Sports/Play and don't need another game yet obviously would need another game if Sports/Play simply didn't exist.

I understand what you're saying, Kwaad, and several other people have suggested the same thing. But it's not as simple as making those sales vanish, because clearly some people aren't buying other games because they already have Sports/Play. Perhaps Sports and Play shouldn't be counted as regular titles, but they shouldn't just be removed from the list, either.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I just wonder why this has to show up repeatedly.

The number is there, so it's easy to simply ignore (or even subtract from totals, as you did). If it weren't anywhere to be seen it'd be way harder to add up (Wii Play in particular). Agree? They are now bundles, but it's conceivable they may not be in the future. Bundles, even forced ones, have been counted many times throughout history.

So why does this have to come up every other week? Doesn't this just get, you know, old news?

By the way, you make your math and then say something like "every people who bought a Wii bought one game". Actually it goes deeper than that, and you take the time to go deeper - which is great. But the truth is that, in fact, and whether you like it or not, every people who bougth a Wii did get at least one game. And lot of people who bought an extra remote got another cheap fun game. And their enough to keep them entertained for a while.

I myself bought a Wii with Wii Sports, and Wii Play for the extra remote, and those are real games to me. I've been very happy playing both. They can actually be quite deep, for the style of games they are. And besides a couple VC games and a Classic controler, I have bought nothing else since.

All this set me back by around €350, which means something to me: not really that much extra cash to spend for some of months. This does not mean I'll never buy games again. You could say I have a budget of €50/month for gaming and I've just spent 7months worth of that budget to get the console and enough stuff to have fun for a little while. But nearing the holiday season, it means I might start buying a game a month, or every other month, as time permits (gaming is for me a time consuming form of entertainment), which I'd hardly call "casual gaming". Until then, I'll probably buy VC games as I finish them. This way, I get to play older Zelda games before buying Twilight Princess, etc.

I can also tell you that a lot of people I know, those that don't mod consoles and download games off torrents, buy stuff this way. On another console they might buy a couple of games on release, or choose an appealing bundle. On the Wii they already have they're choices made for them, which sucks a little, but they're really not that bad choices, otherwise the Japanese wouldn't be buying into them too.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Kruzes, quick question:

If Wii Play didn't exist, and Wii Sports didn't come with the console, would you have bought other games, or would you have simply let your system sit there idle? Serious question. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

We will see what happens with the next Wii game. Wii Music is coming out soon along with Wii Health. I see both of those games having long legs if the DS is any kind of example.

Bodhesatva said:

Kruzes, quick question:

If Wii Play didn't exist, and Wii Sports didn't come with the console, would you have bought other games, or would you have simply let your system sit there idle? Serious question. 

Well I don't know if he's here or not, but I'm pretty sure I can answer this.  He probably would have bought wii sports and a game in replacement of wii play.  Those 2 games are the main non-gamer important games?? Sounds confusing I know.

What I'm trying to say is that there had to be some simple games for non-gamers to get into, because that is one of the selling points of wii(get non-gamers).  If wii play didn't exsist I'm sure there would be some other kind of game just like it.

diamuerto said:
Bodhesatva said:

Kruzes, quick question:

Well I don't know if he's here or not, but I'm pretty sure I can answer this. He probably would have bought wii sports and a game in replacement of wii play. Those 2 games are the main non-gamer important games?? Sounds confusing I know.

What I'm trying to say is that there had to be some simple games for non-gamers to get into, because that is one of the selling points of wii(get non-gamers). If wii play didn't exsist I'm sure there would be some other kind of game just like it.

I agree, and this is my point.

If you simply make the Wii Play/Sports figures vanish into thin air, that's obviously unfair to the Wii attachment rate. If those games simply did not exist, people would buy other stuff instead, plain and simple.

It's difficult to know precisely what to do with Sports and Play, I agree. They do skew the numbers, and it's odd to think that Wii Sports will probably be on the best seller list for the next 5 years without pause. I agree it's odd, but simply making those games disappear isn't the best solution. 

Kwaad said:

373,185 - 121,227 - 66,268 = 185,690

So that gives what I feel should be counted, just over 185,000 games sold on the Wii. That is far from impressive considering 121,227 consoles were sold during this week. That means if every person who bought a Wii got 1 game... that would leave roughly 64,463 Wii titles sold over the week to 'previous' Wii owners. Or roughly 2.2% of people who already owned a Wii bought a game.

The rest of your post is reasonable.

Whether you like it or not, Wii Sports AND Wii Play - are BOTH games. And very popular games at that. So people don't need to buy a lot of games beyond these titles.

Just pretend that the Wii is selling for $50 less, and everyone is buying a copy of Wii Sports - and it all works out.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:

Ok, this is how I see it. For software sales, I dont feel Wii Sports and Play really count. Now hear me out on this before you think I'm bashing the Wii.

This has been discussed to death on this site.  The reality is that the site isn't going to change so people need to drop it and for those who don't feel they should be added, just use a calculator or whatever and make your own personal opinions about the numbers.