By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Software Totals:
ConsoleWeekly
Total1,860,247
2Wii SportsNintendo121,2773,061,173
4Wii PlayNintendo66,2681,152,655

Ok, this is how I see it. For software sales, I dont feel Wii Sports and Play really count. Now hear me out on this before you think I'm bashing the Wii.

Wii sports, in NA, is packaged with the game machine, I feel it shouldnt be counted as a 'game' sale, because you did not have the choice to buy that game at all. If you want a Wii, you got that game. It will remain the #1 game over the majority of the next 5 years, wether the Wii is a fad or not, it will remain the #1 selling game for the next 5 years. (besides major game releases for a few weeks each)

Wii Play is a Wiimote with a 10$ game. I dont feel this should be counted, because as far as I am aware, budget 20$ games are not counted for any other console, why should a 10$ game be counted for the Wii? I dont really know if I've even ever heard a good thing about Wii play, but hey, it's a game for 10$ more than the controller, why not give it a try... right?

Ok, so now here is how I see the total sales for the Wii.

373,185 - 121,227 - 66,268 = 185,690

So that gives what I feel should be counted, just over 185,000 games sold on the Wii. That is far from impressive considering 121,227 consoles were sold during this week. That means if every person who bought a Wii got 1 game... that would leave roughly 64,463 Wii titles sold over the week to 'previous' Wii owners. Or roughly 2.2% of people who already owned a Wii bought a game.

The 360 has around 5.1%

The PS3 has 9.8%

The DS has 2.4%

A older console usually has lower numbers than a new console. That is abysmial for the Wii. The fact the DS has nothing new this week, yet it is a higher % than the Wii, is really amazing.

I've always trash talked 3rd party software sales on the Wii. This really suprised me when I thought to add the numbers this way. Do the people who bought the Wii, even buy games? Even play games?

EDIT: That last line seems kinda baiting, let me rephrase myself. Does the average non-gamer, Wii buyer, even buy games, or even play them? 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

The fact that Wii comes with a game, and the extra Wiimote comes with a game is certain to depress game sales, add in that people are buying a few other games on top of that and you've got people with 3-5 games on average, which is pretty decent this early in a game system's life

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Fine don't count it. PS3 wins. You happy now?

I need to get back to counting my Nintendo profits anyways.

To answer that part about the non-gamers, no they don't buy that many games, yes they are still playing wii sports.

Edit: Let me clarify how I know this before someone asks.  There not buying more games because there still having fun with wii sports. Non-gamers are easily pleased from the same game for a long time.  My sis still likes Brain Age.  I forget I have it.

I'm sure what the hardcore crowd does is try to beat a game as fast as possible and when there done, it's on to the next big thing. Non-gamers don't play their games in long sittings and beat everything right away.  Since they don't play that often, one game can satisfy them for a long time.

There aren't many core-gamer 3rd party titles worth buying either, so what's new?

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

PS3 sales are so high because 33% are a single game, so drop that by 33%.

It's a new console, that's to be expected. I'm just saying the Wii is low... really low... The fact is, the Wii is the console people want, the Wii has the best games out there right now, and it has the most games. The Wii should have a higher % than the PS3. The PS3 would be around 4% if MLB didnt come out.

With the number of good games, the number of great games, and the pure number of games. Overall game sales, (including nintendo brand) I would have expected to be much higher than that.

FishyJoe - I didnt create this thread to troll, infact, I didnt expect to ever even reply to anyone who posted in it. So how about you stop trolling, and you go to another thread, ok?

diamuerto - that is more or less my point on this.

Avinash-Tyagi - I'm not talking lifetime. I'm talking what % of console owners bought a game this week. That was roughly 2%. for the Wii. The DS is at 2.5%.

Both systems had a high class game released a few weeks back, however when you factor in people like me, have 2 DS, and they gather dust, I know about 3 people who have a DS, and buy like 2-3 games a year, tops, and those are the 10-20$ games, not listed at all on this site. 100% of consoles dont still exist, they break, get lost, destroyed, or are forgotten. That means maybe only 75% are still used, maybe 50%? Maybe less? The DS is at 2.5% 3 years into it's life, that's amazingly high. *amazing* The PS3 is young, with not all that many total sold, and a major game released this week... it's gonna be alot higher. The 360 is about a year old, didnt have any major releases, yet it was at 5%. I think the 360 and the DS are the real winners here. The PS3 comes in behind them, and a royal WTF, if you take out those 2 demo titles... the Wii at such a low number I checked my math 3 times.

This is not anti-wii. This is just intresting numbers I thought of. 

vanguardian1 said:
There aren't many core-gamer 3rd party titles worth buying either, so what's new?

I never once said 3rd party. That would be anti-wii, becuase the Wii is 80% 1st party. It would be like .5% for the Wii and like 3% for the PS3, and probibally about 4% for the 360.

If you bought your Wii 2 weeks ago and you picked up zelda, a 1st party game... that is included in the 2%. 

I'd have to disagree that the Wii has the best games out there right now. The third party titles, for the most part, are mediocre at best. Just like with the PS3, there really isn't much to choose from. There are games coming out late summer/early fall when that will change some though the really big ones will probably all be first party. The 360 has a very healthy attach rate. It's no coincidence that the 360 has the biggest library of *good* games available at the moment. Once PS3 and Wii titles finally start shipping regularly (and they aren't crap), we'll have a better idea of how well they will do with attach rates. I do tend to agree that quite a number of Wii buyers won't spend a whole lot more on software. Maybe Mario Party, Wii Music, and Wii Health will appeal to those "very casual" gamers. Outside of that, I don't see much on the horizon appealing to them.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Well when games like Brawl and Metroid come out I'm sure those numbers will fluctuate (mario strikers maybe, it actually has decent online play I hear). It's been slow recently anyway.

diamuerto said:
Well when games like Brawl and Metroid come out I'm sure those numbers will fluctuate (mario strikers maybe, it actually has decent online play I hear). It's been slow recently anyway.

yes they will fluxuate. Think when Halo3 comes out for the 360... XD 50%

This is more of a comparison of the entire libarys. The 360 has the larger advantage on the libary, but they have smoked GOD only knows how many units, that are bricked, and not running, and who knows how many arent in active use.

The PS3 has a damn good excuse to be that high. It's a new console, with a decent game launched this week.

The Wii, has a GREAT GREAT GREAT lineup. Zelda, Wario, Rayman, RedSteel, Mario Party and quite a few others.

All the PS3 has to really reply with in terms of lineup, is resistance, and motorstorm.  

The only reason the PS3 numbers are as high as they are, I'll say this agian, a new game was released on the period. They would be around 4%.

The 360 numbers are higher than I would have thought.

The DS is where I thought the DS/360 would be.

The Wii is much lower than I thought it would be, I expected 5-10%. I never looked at the numbers in this way.

These numbers dont mean much, unless you do that for every week, average them out over 2 months, and then you can compare the consoles.  

One way you could do it is go with the true attach rate, but you cant count Wii sports/play, because of what I said above, We just halved the Wii's attach rate. It went from 'decent' to horrible. In all honesty, I'm amazed that zelda, and wario have droped as low as they have, AAA games like that usually are bought by around 25-50% of new consoles sold, over the next 6-12 months, ESPECIALLY exclusive ones. Zelda is holding at 1/6 bought zelda.

Resistance is still holding roughly a 25% of new console buyers are buying resistance. Was resistance that great? Was it that amazing? I didnt think so, yet it's sold quite a few copies considering the number of consoles sold.

My point here isnt PS3 rules and Wii sucks. For all I care a freight-train could run through sony headquarters and I would laugh... I would laugh a little more becuase I would say something like. "the train went wii wii wii all the way into the wii factory." But my point here is, that's low, a hell of a lot lower than I thought. Wii game sales are low.