By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Be Honest: Why Do You Think Switch is a Sales Success Right Now?

Miyamotoo said:
sabastian said:
The only reason Switch is even relevant right now is because of the "Nintendo" name attached to it. It this were a MS system, it would not even see half of the sales its getting.

You know, Wii U also had "Nintendo" name attached to it.

Exactly, and the Wii U failed big time. So for years people have scoffed at Sony for trying to compete in the Handheld gaming department, going as far as to say that the handheld market was drying up and the Vita has no chance of surviving, yet still here we have Nintendo creating yet another portable handheld gaming machine. 

Almost Everything tthe NS does, the Vita has done before it. 

Around the Network
sabastian said:
Miyamotoo said:

Exactly, and the Wii U failed big time. So for years people have scoffed at Sony for trying to compete in the Handheld gaming department, going as far as to say that the handheld market was drying up and the Vita has no chance of surviving, yet still here we have Nintendo creating yet another portable handheld gaming machine. 

I agree, the same hardware made be Sony or MS wouldn't get same traction, but the reason why the "Nintendo" name attached to it is so relevant is beacuse the console actually has Nintendo games on it.

Also I argee claims of the handheld market drying up have always been mistaken (keep in mind the same argument has been used even more often to predict the end of Nintendo dedicated hardware). The handheld, or to be more appropriate the portable market (market for games on the go) is bigger then ever. The Vita failure and 3DS relative decline compared to its predecessor were due to their on failings, not due to the lack of demand.

sabastian said:
Miyamotoo said:

Lol, my point is that fact that hardware has attache Nintendo on it, doesn't mean it will sell well.

Vita is nothing like Switch, Switch has great concept, has great marketing and has huge system seller games from launch, Wii U failed on all those things, and similar could be said for Vita also.

The reason all systems succeed:

Momentum....

Started by Zelda and snowballed sequentially by a number of other games, and the stock issue. I'm not gonna lie, I think that has contributed to the momentum as well. But that's it IMHO, momentum. Learned that from Iwata at the very end of the Gamecube era. If you Google it you'll still find his quote. Really sums up the whole business of selling game machines.

Because it's awesome....  and....  because you "can't" get them, people swallow up any available stock.

Around the Network

Good game line up spread out well throughout the year. A good mix of new games from existing IPs, new IPs, ports from Wii U and increasing Third party support (slowly but surely)

It doesn't appeal to me but it certainly speaks to others, specially in Japan.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

3 reasons:

1. The Hybrid concept is awesome and never been done before. Very exciting to a lot of people. This new evolution of video game systems also helped marketing it as the hot new thing to get because it is actually something completely new in the video game world, and not a botched new concept like the Wii U.

2. Zelda. Just like Wii Sports sold a ridiculous amount of Wii's at the start, the hype around Zelda BotW has sold a lot of Switches.

3. It's a Nintendo handheld. They always sell well.

It has 2 GOAT in launch year.

A number of things really...

Having a handheld powerhouse that can run current gen games (cut to res and mostly 30fps, but there has to be a trade off) that can also be played on the TV. This concept is more of a selling point for multiplats than often given credit for.

Proper marketing

Zelda at launch

Proper marketing

A steady release of exclusive games

Proper marketing

Mario and Xenoblade for thw holidays

PROPER FK#$% MARKETING

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

sabastian said:
Miyamotoo said:

So you can play current gen console games (with sacrifices) on your TV and on the go seamlessly and without double buying the same game or streaming laggy remote play?

Please tell me how to do this as I have been using my Vita all wrong.  The only thing it can do it run VITA games or laggy streams from my PS4 with limited buttons.  Even the games released for both have HEAVY sacrifices to quality, which is why you have to dual buy the games.

So please enlighten me on this feature the VITA has that makes it like the Switch.  I loved my VITA, but I just cannot get it to work right by what yoy are saying.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261