By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why would Doom come to Switch?

Oh look its another Nintendo is for kids thread.

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:
As seen by the marketing campaigns executed by Nintendo... the Switch is definitely targeted towards young adults who have a busy lifestyle. The whole core of the console was executed with this core audience in mind... so I don't think Nintendo is going to want to ignore them. I'm certain the age demographic that Nintendo was previously accused of marketing towards (little kids).. have moved on to other devices (smartphones). This console is also not made for teenagers (who already have PS4s and Xbones... along with smartphones). I'm willing to bet that the largest audience for the Switch is ages 23-37. This console specifically appeals to older Nintendo fans and busy gamers... so having a game like Doom (which has had a history on Nintendo consoles and is a very enticing game to take on the go) is beneficial to the Switch. It won't sell the same amount of copies as the PS4 version but it has a chance to both scrape by the Xbox One version and be considered a profitable enough investment for 3rd party companies to make games on the Switch. Nintendo seems to be trying to fix what they have been criticized for and I believe there will be enough fans who buy the game.

I won't lie, for some reason, I have found the Switch ads to be difficult to watch. Like, I find them so bad that I'm embarrassed on their behalf. Now, obviously the Switch is doing great, and the ads don't seem to bother a majority of people. Just a personal take. Perhaps it's a comfort-zone issue, where I've become accustomed to Nintendo doing things in a certain way for a long period of time, and part of me misses the days of more family oriented ads.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

"My point is that adult oriented games will almost certainly fail to succeed on Switch. Of course I could be wrong. We will see. I want to see how Dragon Ball Xenoverse sells on Switch worldwide"

What kind of stupid logic is that? So Dragon Ball games are "mature" games for "adults" now?  Your entire thread is pure shit and I won't waste my time posting here anymore.  At least now I know to ignore any future thread or post made by you. 

When did cartoon style graphics equate to a game being for kids? I'm still smh to this day about it. If anything, more kids play games like CoD and GTA than adults, or it's really close to it.

I would have agreed with you in the Wii/Wii U era. But the Switch is just so different. I myself have a PS4 and a Switch, but I never played Doom. Now I'm definitely going to grab it for Switch. The fact that I can play a next-gen game on the go is truly amazing! I truly think Skyrim and Doom will be able to sell about or above 1 mil on Nintendo Switch.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
bonzobanana said:
We also don't know the arrangement with Nintendo. It could well be that Nintendo themselves have part financed these ports because they feel they need to get more games on the Switch. The fact Skyrim was announced before launch was clear Nintendo had paid for that content. That arrangement may have continued to these later titles. There may not be any financial gamble at all for Bethesda if they have been paid for their development costs.

My guess would be that Nintendo pretty much paid completely for Skyrim but with the successful launch of the Switch have dialed back the incentive somewhat and only partly assisted with development costs for these later games.

It's the first time I hear someone suggesting Skyrim is a moneyhat. It is kinda unlikely. Skyrim is the ideal port game to test the waters in an unknown market. It has proven to be popular (you don't want to port something niche, that probably doesn't bring back the investment), it is already ported to nearly anything and it might be more in line with the Nintendo-userbase than other Bethesda-titles.

That said, it is not impossible that Nintendo gave Bethesda some incentives. But for Skyrim I see that it might be ported without any incentive.

Doom and Wolfenstein are bigger risks. Maybe Nintendo was here more active. Also it surprises me, that Bethesda announces these ports without waiting for numbers from Skyrim.

You don't think that the fact that Skyrim was announced before the Switch launch, even being a major part of their advertising was a commercial decision by Nintendo to show third party support. It never crossed my mind that it wasn't paid for I'm just unsure if this continued to Doom and Wolfenstein. I could be wrong maybe Bethesda were beating on the door asking to be a big part of the Switch launch and willing to spend their own money doing it but that seems unlikely to me. In time perhaps the full details will be revealed or leaked. It's perfectly normal business practice and surely part of their super bowl advertising campaign. It's not like it in anyway insults Nintendo. They have shown much more intelligence with their Switch marketing than they ever did with the wii u. We should be celebrating this improved approach. 

deskpro2k3 said:
niceguygameplayer said:

I understand that Switch is doing very well and that some indie games have done better on it than all others platforms combined. The 2 indie games that have done so well on Switch are Nintendo-like games. One like 2d Mario and the other like Zelda. However, a game like Doom is likely doomed on Switch. I think Skyrim will underperform too. These are not kiddie type games. I like Sonic, so don't think I don't like any kiddie games or that I'm insulting anyone. 

My point is that adult oriented games will almost certainly fail to succeed on Switch. Of course I could be wrong. We will see. I want to see how Dragon Ball Xenoverse sells on Switch worldwide. I know it has done well in Japan. I will watch these games and more. I predict failing sales. 

If Switch does actually succeed in 3rd party games like these, it could be as big a hit or bigger than PS4 in America. I just dont see it happening long term, though. It already will beat PS4 in Japan as long as Nintendo, and 3rd parties, can keep rolling out a lot of games. Europe is PS4 country, though. Regardless of which one wins worldwide, it will be an exciting sales war!  

The thing is the fans say they want 3rd party support, yet the majority don't buy them.

*flame shield activated*

So just like the Xbox? 

Let's be clear here : Nintendo fans bought a lot of third party before Wii U. I saw someone else(might even have been you) say in another thread "but look at how fps games sell on the pllatform. How can it do well?" When again, ironically, the only platform where shooters werent bought was the Wii U. Wii U, Nintendo's worst selling console. 

I'll never understand why people think that making a comment that baits people makes them automatically right. You dont need a flameshield because of haters, youre just wrong. 

Is coming only for the pure satisfaction of having you confused and so deeply damaged by it, that you would create a useless thread with way worst arguments never seen before, and everyone can just have a big laugh. Oh yeah, only to give a good reason to smile today. And would you just look at that, goal reached. Kudos to Bethseda

Zelda is kiddish while DBZ is for adultish? Come on man...

Intrinsic said:
Even if you were right.... (which you aren't), wouldn't the availability of such non child friendly games on the platform make the platform now appeal to all the older folks?

No, because only 5 year olds own Nintendo consoles and that's how it has been and will be forever.