By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why would Doom come to Switch?

deskpro2k3 said:
niceguygameplayer said:

I understand that Switch is doing very well and that some indie games have done better on it than all others platforms combined. The 2 indie games that have done so well on Switch are Nintendo-like games. One like 2d Mario and the other like Zelda. However, a game like Doom is likely doomed on Switch. I think Skyrim will underperform too. These are not kiddie type games. I like Sonic, so don't think I don't like any kiddie games or that I'm insulting anyone. 

My point is that adult oriented games will almost certainly fail to succeed on Switch. Of course I could be wrong. We will see. I want to see how Dragon Ball Xenoverse sells on Switch worldwide. I know it has done well in Japan. I will watch these games and more. I predict failing sales. 

If Switch does actually succeed in 3rd party games like these, it could be as big a hit or bigger than PS4 in America. I just dont see it happening long term, though. It already will beat PS4 in Japan as long as Nintendo, and 3rd parties, can keep rolling out a lot of games. Europe is PS4 country, though. Regardless of which one wins worldwide, it will be an exciting sales war!  

The thing is the fans say they want 3rd party support, yet the majority don't buy them.

*flame shield activated*

The Switch eShop is dominated by third parties:

You're welcome.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
deskpro2k3 said:

The thing is the fans say they want 3rd party support, yet the majority don't buy them.

*flame shield activated*

The Switch eShop is dominated by third parties:

You're welcome.

Mario+Rabbids and Snipperclips (Plus) are published by Nintendo, though they are  developed by third-parties.

I want to see the top 50, though, too.

EDIT: Never mind, Mario+Rabbids is published by Ubisoft (?!)

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

SegataSanshiro said:
I knew who it was just by the topic title. Stop making such ignorant topics, please.

Can't be helped there are those who live under a rock and then there a those who live under the rock that is under the rock on top of the rock.

Fact: Nintendo was getting Doom before the original PlayStation even launched (in the US). Not exactly a perfect port, tho.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

The bias is strong with this one. Grumpy he is. Nintendo he loves not.

Around the Network

I will say this, I do think these particular games will make some money because of the lack of shooters on the Switch but in general "darker" games tend to sell awful on Nintendo hardware

Your way of thinking hurts my head...

I for one am buying both Wolfenstein 2 and DOOM for the Switch. As a 30 year old male, being able to play on the go is a much bigger draw than buying it for my PS4.

As far as Nintendo games go, it is sad to see people still try to pass them off as "kiddy". Breath of the Wild is anything but kiddy, and the fact that you tried to put it in that category proves how jaded your views really are. Just because something is appropriate for all ages does not mean it is kiddy.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

There is a real problem for third parties on Nintendo platforms but it is not that those that buy Nintendo platforms like "kiddie" games.
The average number of games sold per console (attach rate) is considered good if it is 10 games per console.
On Nintendo consoles people prefer to buy Nintendo games (probably because they get good reviews).
Even a total failure like WiiU managed to sell a lot of Nintendo produced games. According to VGChartz database (physical sales) Nintendo would have 6 games on the top 10 list on XB0. The two best selling Switch games (tLoZ & MK8) would with the same reasoning already be on XB0 top 20.
Comparing with PS4 is also revealing: MK8 on WiiU sell the same amount as Fallout4, CoD:AW or CoD:IW. NSMBU sell the same amount as Destiny, tLoU or Minecraft.

TL:DR.
The attach rate of 10 is mostly filled with Nintendo produced games leaving little room for 3:rd party.
From a sales perspective it would be sufficient for Nintendo to get three 3:rd party games: FIFA, CoD and GTA.

Do "adults" actually play Doom?

animegaming said:

...the Switch's main market is core young adult gamers like look at the marketing you rarely see kids and familes in Switch ads but young college age adults instead. Those people are among the most likely that would buy doom espically a portable verison of the game.

This hits the nail on the head.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7