By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Overlooked, Underrated Game You've Ever Played?

The Thing - PS2 , I've never really heard anyone talked about this game ever ( maybe except the movies ). It was one of the best games i've played in the ps2 era

Around the Network

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) - This is a turn based strategy game. It got very good reviews, but I never hear anyone talk about it anymore. It has gotten overshadowed by the older Playstation FF Tactics game and the rest of the Final Fantasy franchise. Which I think is a shame, because it is great.

Def Jam: Fight for NY (GC) - This one is sort of a wresting/brawling game. Has a surprisingly good story mode where you create your own fighter and level up your abilities. You get to fight against a bunch of real rappers and hip hot artists, so that is pretty cool. Gaming needs more middleware like this. Publishers are chasing the AAA model, but we need stuff like this back.

Freedom Fighters (GC) - Squad based shooter. The squad controls are fantastic, and the single player missions are a blast. The local multiplayer was awesome as well. Who can command their squad better?  Agian, we need middleware like this back.

Pac-Man Vs. (GC) - Multiplayer Pac-Man. One person is Pac-Man, the rest are the ghosts. The ghosts can't see the whole map to make it fair to Pac-Man. So. Much. Fun.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (GC) - Rogue Squadron II seems to get all the love, but I actually had more fun with The Clone Wars.  Plus it has a great base building multiplayer mode.

XIII (GC) - I saw someone mention this earlier.  I will second that.  It is a FPS with cool stylized comic book graphics.  I will say the single player misions are pretty dang hard.  The multiplayer has a bunch of different bots you can setup sort of like Perfect Dark.   Which is a huge plus in my book.

Art Style: ORBIENT (Wii) - You play as a star and only have two bottons.  One pulls you toward things, the other repels you from things.  You use those to manipulate your orbit around larger stars to complete each level.  You can either absorb smaller stars to grow larger, or catch them in your own orbit.  Great sound design on this one.  This is a WiiWare title, so it got limited exposure.

Fluidity (Wii) - Fantastic puzzle platformer.  You play a puddle of water.  You tilt the level to move around.  Eventually, you get the ability to turn to a block of ice or a cloud.  It is great.  This is another WiiWare title.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) - A Silent Hill game on the Wii.  So of course it was overlooked.  Cool game though.  It attemps to profile you based on how you answer questions and play the game.  So things will change each playthrough.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (Wii) - First golf game to use the Wii Motion Plus.  And that makes it the best golf game ever.  Of course, it is golf so a lot of people don't care.

SteamWorld Dig (Wii U) - Sort of a Metroidvania.  You play a robot that needs to dig through a mine collecting minerals to sell so you can buy power-ups.  You also find upgrades down in the mine as well.  This one is an eShop title.  I hear it is getting a sequel!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Hiku said:

Probably Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts 2 (Covenant)

(Poster three versions of the SH2 cover)

Shadow Hearts was very overlooked because it released around the same time as Final Fantasy X.
I hadn't even heard of it until a few years later when it was recommended to me by a friend, and it quickly became one of my favorite rpgs.
It's a sequel to the PS1 game Koudelka.

Loved the first game - maybe the darkest JRPG I've seen outside the SMT series. I remember reviewers were falling over themselves to mock the antagonists name, Roger Bacon. The sequel looked a bit odd to me so I passed on it, didn't even know Yuri & Alice were in it.

Edit: So upon a bit of online lookery I've realized what I thought was SH2 was a whole other game set in the US with a new cast. Learn something new every day...

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter on the PS2

Valkyrie Profile on the PS1

Wonderful 101 on the Wii U

Hi

arcaneguyver said:
Hiku said:

Probably Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts 2 (Covenant)

(Poster three versions of the SH2 cover)

Shadow Hearts was very overlooked because it released around the same time as Final Fantasy X.
I hadn't even heard of it until a few years later when it was recommended to me by a friend, and it quickly became one of my favorite rpgs.
It's a sequel to the PS1 game Koudelka.

Loved the first game - maybe the darkest JRPG I've seen outside the SMT series. I remember reviewers were falling over themselves to mock the antagonists name, Roger Bacon. The sequel looked a bit odd to me so I passed on it, didn't even know Yuri & Alice were in it.

Edit: So upon a bit of online lookery I've realized what I thought was SH2 was a whole other game set in the US with a new cast. Learn something new every day...

BobSamurai was let's playing the second game recently. Never heard of these games

Around the Network
Hiku said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

BobSamurai was let's playing the second game recently. Never heard of these games

One thing that stood out to me as unique and interesting about these games is that they take place in our world, around 1919 iirc.
So you get to visit places like Shanghai, London, Rome, Paris, etc.

I've never really gotten into JRPGs, so if this would be ported to ps4 i'd definitely pick it up! Sounds really cool : D 

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (GC) - Forgot about this one in my first post.  This is the most fun I have ever had with a sandbox style game.  Of course, you play the Hulk, so you can destroy just about anything in your path.  There are even some entire skyscapers you can take down.  Your moveset gradually grows over the course of the game, so it is not too overwhelming at any time.  The story mode missions are pretty good too.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

an old F2P game called Windslayer
it was way ahead of its time in PvP I bet if it came out today it could be an esport.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

This thread makes me feel bad for playing very few gamed, finishing almost none, and having played no obscure ones :(

The closest I can think of is Dorito's:Crash Course

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. Excellent game, yet it's barely talked about.