By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can 2017 be crowned as the best year in gaming already?

Yeah I think so.  We had major releases all year long.

This is especially true for Sony, as the PS4 mopped the floor with everyone in regards to exclusives.  Also, as other's have mentioned...  BOTW

Great stuff.

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
contestgamer said:

What game will stick with you the most? The 2 x 96 games or the 20x85 games? The 2 96 games releases are all time great games. The 20 x 85 ones are not.

That is like super flawed......because what if those 2x96 games don't interest me? Then those 20x85s have more chances and are all games that are very good even if they are not my personal tastes. So those 20 will stick with me most.....even if I don't like all 20 I have a higher chance of liking even just 5 that is still better than 2 at 96.....Heck Legend of Dragoon is one of my all time favorite games and it was in the 70s.

Like you can't be serious thinking llike that....it is a very broken way to look at things to be honest with you.

I'm talking about objectively, theres no point in debating opinion. Objectively the better year is the one with the objectively GOAT games.

contestgamer said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

That is like super flawed......because what if those 2x96 games don't interest me? Then those 20x85s have more chances and are all games that are very good even if they are not my personal tastes. So those 20 will stick with me most.....even if I don't like all 20 I have a higher chance of liking even just 5 that is still better than 2 at 96.....Heck Legend of Dragoon is one of my all time favorite games and it was in the 70s.

Like you can't be serious thinking llike that....it is a very broken way to look at things to be honest with you.

I'm talking about objectively, theres no point in debating opinion. Objectively the better year is the one with the objectively GOAT games.

Even objectively speaking if you got a year with 2 96 games and another year with 20 85 games thhat doesn't make the year with 2 96 games objectively better.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

mZuzek said:
contestgamer said:

What game will stick with you the most? The 2 x 96 games or the 20x85 games? The 2 96 games releases are all time great games. The 20 x 85 ones are not.

This.

Obviously you will never be able to enjoy a game as much if some other people don't think of it as highly.

I see what you did there lol

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

contestgamer said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Wait, you're actually not joking? 

I'm just amazed you'd call an 89 in Horizon and an 88 in Nioh etc etc etc 'pretty mediocre'. 

For arguements sake, lets take whatever game you consider your greatest game of all time and lets say it came out in 2017. That was the ONLY game that came out in 2017. Lets say that 2018 brought 3 good games - Nioh, Horizon and dark souls. Which year will you look back on more fondly? 

My favourite game of all time came out in 2013. 

And if that was the only good game in 2013 then this year is still a better year for games. 2013 imo is the second best of recent years and then 2009/10 closely matched. 

Horizon, nioh, sonic, nioh, odessy most likely etc etc releases all year round, great releases all year round and a likely strong summer of releases, it's been a fantastic hear from top to bottom. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Game reviews and scores aren't objective.  A game with a 96 metacritic isn't objectively better than a game with a 86 metacritic.

This is definitely the best year of gaming for me. I'll wait to say it's the best year ever though since I've only extensively played Breath of the Wild, Horizon and Sonic Mania.

I will say this though. Those that are automatically going to 1998 are probably adhering to the pedestal those classic games have been put on. Shit like Mario Party, Yoshi's Story, Starcraft 1, Rainbow 6, Pokemon Yellow, Tomb Raider 3, all feel like just adding games for the sake of a list. It's easy to make a list of games for just about any year and pass it off as the best. Most of those games are not considered the best in their series, in fact the first Mario Party and Yoshi's Story are outclassed by a lot of games in their franchise and Tomb Raider 3 was never as beloved as 2 from what I can tell. Especially Rainbow 6 ... that's a series where the fanbase now only seems to care about 3 because the series of games from the early 2000's are just so much better.

Compare that to 2017 where most of the games are at the very least titles that will stand up for years, and at best are considered the best or among the best in their franchise. Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 etc. Of course, stuff like this happened in 1998 too with things like Ocarina of Time. But I think the median games of 2017 are probably better as a whole than 1998, just looking at gameplay and reception. Of course, best games of all time is a paradox, since time isn't ending yet and as such we'll never have a definitive best year list.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
This is definitely the best year of gaming for me. I'll wait to say it's the best year ever though since I've only extensively played Breath of the Wild, Horizon and Sonic Mania.

I will say this though. Those that are automatically going to 1998 are probably adhering to the pedestal those classic games have been put on. Shit like Mario Party, Yoshi's Story, Starcraft 1, Rainbow 6, Pokemon Yellow, Tomb Raider 3, all feel like just adding games for the sake of a list. It's easy to make a list of games for just about any year and pass it off as the best. Most of those games are not considered the best in their series, in fact the first Mario Party and Yoshi's Story are outclassed by a lot of games in their franchise and Tomb Raider 3 was never as beloved as 2 from what I can tell. Especially Rainbow 6 ... that's a series where the fanbase now only seems to care about 3 because the series of games from the early 2000's are just so much better.

Compare that to 2017 where most of the games are at the very least titles that will stand up for years, and at best are considered the best or among the best in their franchise. Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 etc. Of course, stuff like this happened in 1998 too with things like Ocarina of Time. But I think the median games of 2017 are probably better as a whole than 1998, just looking at gameplay and reception. Of course, best games of all time is a paradox, since time isn't ending yet and as such we'll never have a definitive best year list.

You're lumping in StarCraft with Mario Party and Yoshi's Story? Come on.

Frankly, 1998 doesn't need filler. Just take the cream of the crop: Ocarina of Time, StarCraft, Metal Gear Solid, Banjo-Kazooie, Half-Life. That alone makes it a remarkable year. Then you can add in the rest. Plus, the 1998 list doesn't rely on games that haven't released yet  

I can't speak for others but I'm not honoring any pedestal or blinded by nostalgia when I choose 1998 as the best year ever. For example, I played StarCraft for the first time in 2009, and it shot to the top of my list. Another example: I last played Banjo-Kazooie and MGS in 2012. Some people just prefer games that came out a while ago.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

You're lumping in StarCraft with Mario Party and Yoshi's Story? Come on.

Frankly, 1998 doesn't need filler. Just take the cream of the crop: Ocarina of Time, StarCraft, Metal Gear Solid, Banjo-Kazooie, Half-Life. That alone makes it a remarkable year. Then you can add in the rest. Plus, the 1998 list doesn't rely on games that haven't released yet  

I can't speak for others but I'm not honoring any pedestal or blinded by nostalgia when I choose 1998 as the best year ever. For example, I played StarCraft for the first time in 2009, and it shot to the top of my list. Another example: I last played Banjo-Kazooie and MGS in 2012. Some people just prefer games that came out a while ago.

My point is that with a game like SC, i think a majority of people would prefer to play 2 to SC1. That doesnt make it inelligble but it does feel like that post on pg1 is just a list and not a fvorite or best year. I also wasnt saying its out of nostalgia or blindness, merely suggesting some people might feel that way. 

Also Banjo Kazooie is one of my favorite games(#3), and Half Life would be too had I played more of it. Im sad I cat play MGS. Ultimately though, that list has a lot of filler whereas i think the 2017 list will stand the test of time more efficiently. The median just seems better. Although that is from an outsiders perspective. Its just opinion at the end of the day though. 

Also, the only game i mentioned that hadnt released is Odyssey. And we all know hoe good that will be. 

Did you just say Starcraft was added just for the sake of the list? Starcraft? You could argue that is the biggest game of that year and alongside Doom, probably the decade. Starcraft? Seriously? That is a terrible take.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000