By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can 2017 be crowned as the best year in gaming already?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
bigtakilla said:

Exactly, which is my point. 1998 wipes the floor with 2017 if we consider THAT YEAR IN GAMING. Not how well those games hold up today which has nothing to do with the threads question.

If you guys are going to completely miss my point don't bother misrepresenting it ; ) Get.Over.The.Comment.

Well elaborate.

Around the Network

Compare that to 2017 where most of the games are at the very least titles that will stand up for years, and at best are considered the best or among the best in their franchise. Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 etc. Of course, stuff like this happened in 1998 too with things like Ocarina of Time. But I think the median games of 2017 are probably better as a whole than 1998, just looking at gameplay and reception.

Sorry, but there is just no way to know how well 2017 games are going to stand against the test of time.  We will have to wait to find out.  Just like we had to wait to see how well 1998 stood the test of time.

Sure, with the reception BotW got, it will likely be considered a top 1 or 2 Zelda game (and one of the top games of all time) for at least a few years.  Who knows what the next Zelda is going to bring though.  If Nintendo stick with the same open world format, maybe they improve on it in everyway and suddenly we just look at BotW as a stepping stone.  Could happen, or maybe not.

Super Mario Odyssey isn't even out yet.  No way to know for certain how this game is going to be received compared to the rest of the franchise yet.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

Compare that to 2017 where most of the games are at the very least titles that will stand up for years, and at best are considered the best or among the best in their franchise. Sonic Mania, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Persona 5 etc. Of course, stuff like this happened in 1998 too with things like Ocarina of Time. But I think the median games of 2017 are probably better as a whole than 1998, just looking at gameplay and reception.

Sorry, but there is just no way to know how well 2017 games are going to stand against the test of time.  We will have to wait to find out.  Just like we had to wait to see how well 1998 stood the test of time.

Sure, with the reception BotW got, it will likely be considered a top 1 or 2 Zelda game (and one of the top games of all time) for at least a few years.  Who knows what the next Zelda is going to bring though.  If Nintendo stick with the same open world format, maybe they improve on it in everyway and suddenly we just look at BotW as a stepping stone.  Could happen, or maybe not.

Super Mario Odyssey isn't even out yet.  No way to know for certain how this game is going to be received compared to the rest of the franchise yet.

Which is exactly what I said in one of  the many replies I made. 

theRepublic said:

Which is exactly what I said in one of  the many replies I made. 

I must have missed that then.  Good that you changed your position.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

You can't just say one year was the best in gaming. The question is too subjective and boils down to what your favorite video games are.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

The best year in video games I dunno, but it's one of them for sure
Breath of the wild is the top game for me and it will take long time for any to beat that
Fire emblem echos, Metroid, Splatoon 2, Nier automata, and others you mentioned
Still to come, Mario odyssey, & Xenoblade 2, will make 2 hell of games

I raise my eyebrow to anyone who thinks that 2017 is one of the worst years in gaming.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I highlighted the big hitters from that year. IMO the real Half Life is HL2. The release of Poke'mon is one of the biggest games ever spawning a T.V. show, Toys, a card game, movies, etc., but it launched in 1997 in Japan, not in 1998. Yellow was just another sequel. Not more or less important than X/Y, or Sun/Moon. That leaves us with Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft, and Suikoden 2. All fantastic games and all masterpieces for sure. First 3D Zelda, First 3D Stealth Game, one of the greatest RTS games of all time, and Suikoden 2 as the hard to find epic. 

This year has heavy hitters to match though. Zelda matches Zelda. Persona 5 fights Suikoden. Horizon could easily spawn a franchise same as Metal Gear Solid (not the first Metal Gear, but the first that matters). Nier, and Odyssey will both go down as Masterpieces IMO. If we get a miracle release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for this year, that would be another big game. 

I think it all hinges on October-December.

If Xenoblade 2 is as good as Xenoblade 1, and Odyssey is as good as 64/Galaxy, then I think 2017 could rival 1998.

IMO Xenoblade 2 is better than Xenoblade 1 in almost every way. What do you think now that the year has come to an end? 

Ka-pi96 said:
It's been a pretty meh year for me so far. Not even close to best year ever. The only real highlight so far isn't really even a 2017 game

Same for me. 2017 actually seems worse for me than 2014 was. Enough letdowns and botched games.

1998 was a really good one though. I honestly think it's hard to beat, especially with the amount of games that came out that year on all kinds of platforms.

Hopefully 2018 will be a year for me, if not it'll have to top 2017 for being my worst year. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"