By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can 2017 be crowned as the best year in gaming already?

Look at 2015 too

Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Wooly World
Fatal Frame 5
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3d
Fire Emblem Fates
Bravely Second
Majora's Mask 3D
Metal Gear Solid 5
Forza 6
Halo 5
Bloodborne
the Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Star Wars battlefront
Rise Of Tomb Raider
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Mortal Kombat X
Rocket League
Dead Or Alive 5 Final Round
Undertale
Fallout 4
Ori and the Blind Forest
Just Cause 3

Resident evil remake

Resident Evil Revelations 2

Around the Network

Some of the games you cited aren't even that good. But yes, Breath of The Wild, Zero Dawn, Persona 5 and Nier Automata are amazing. The only game from the past 5 years on the same level is The Witcher 3.

mZuzek said:
bigtakilla said:

Look at 2015 too

Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Wooly World
Fatal Frame 5
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3d
Fire Emblem Fates
Bravely Second
Majora's Mask 3D
Metal Gear Solid 5
Forza 6
Halo 5
Bloodborne
the Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Star Wars battlefront
Rise Of Tomb Raider
Mortal Kombat X
Rocket League
Undertale
Fallout 4
Ori and the Blind Forest
Just Cause 3

Resident evil remake

A year without Zelda or Metroid is ineligible, sorry.

Which makes 2017 doubly eligible, hence why it's undeniably the greatest year ever.

Read the list again, it has a Zelda.

*edit* Not to mention

Tri Force Heroes

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

bigtakilla said:
Sorry man, 1998. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party, Banjo-Kazooie, F-Zero X, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft, Half Life, Parasite Eve, Rainbow 6, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Fallout 2, Resident Evil 2, Xenogears, Tomb Raider 3, Sonic Adventure, Suikoden 2, Pokémon Yellow, it doesn't even end there.

I highlighted the big hitters from that year. IMO the real Half Life is HL2. The release of Poke'mon is one of the biggest games ever spawning a T.V. show, Toys, a card game, movies, etc., but it launched in 1997 in Japan, not in 1998. Yellow was just another sequel. Not more or less important than X/Y, or Sun/Moon. That leaves us with Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft, and Suikoden 2. All fantastic games and all masterpieces for sure. First 3D Zelda, First 3D Stealth Game, one of the greatest RTS games of all time, and Suikoden 2 as the hard to find epic. 

This year has heavy hitters to match though. Zelda matches Zelda. Persona 5 fights Suikoden. Horizon could easily spawn a franchise same as Metal Gear Solid (not the first Metal Gear, but the first that matters). Nier, and Odyssey will both go down as Masterpieces IMO. If we get a miracle release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for this year, that would be another big game. 

bigtakilla said:

Look at 2015 too

Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Wooly World
Fatal Frame 5
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles 3d
Fire Emblem Fates
Bravely Second
Majora's Mask 3D
Metal Gear Solid 5
Forza 6
Halo 5
Bloodborne
the Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
Star Wars battlefront
Rise Of Tomb Raider
Mortal Kombat X
Rocket League
Undertale
Fallout 4
Ori and the Blind Forest
Just Cause 3

Resident evil remake

2015 was pretty good. Splatoon is easily one of the best shooters in decades. MGS5, and The Witcher 3 were good open world games. 

I can't believe you put Battlefront in that list though. That was one of the most forgettable games of the year. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It's easily the best since 2010, but whether it can top that year (Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Monster Hunter Tri, Bioshock 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Halo Reach...) remains to be seen.

Galaxy 2, and Mass Effect 2 were great. Monster Hunter Tri was my first MH game. 2010 was one of the best for sure. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
bigtakilla said:
Sorry man, 1998. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party, Banjo-Kazooie, F-Zero X, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft, Half Life, Parasite Eve, Rainbow 6, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Fallout 2, Resident Evil 2, Xenogears, Tomb Raider 3, Sonic Adventure, Suikoden 2, Pokémon Yellow, it doesn't even end there.

I highlighted the big hitters from that year. IMO the real Half Life is HL2. The release of Poke'mon is one of the biggest games ever spawning a T.V. show, Toys, a card game, movies, etc., but it launched in 1997 in Japan, not in 1998. Yellow was just another sequel. Not more or less important than X/Y, or Sun/Moon. That leaves us with Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Starcraft, and Suikoden 2. All fantastic games and all masterpieces for sure. First 3D Zelda, First 3D Stealth Game, one of the greatest RTS games of all time, and Suikoden 2 as the hard to find epic. 

This year has heavy hitters to match though. Zelda matches Zelda. Persona 5 fights Suikoden. Horizon could easily spawn a franchise same as Metal Gear Solid (not the first Metal Gear, but the first that matters). Nier, and Odyssey will both go down as Masterpieces IMO. If we get a miracle release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for this year, that would be another big game. 

I think it all hinges on October-December.

If Xenoblade 2 is as good as Xenoblade 1, and Odyssey is as good as 64/Galaxy, then I think 2017 could rival 1998.

Hasn't beaten 1995 or 1998 yet sorry. It's a great one sure.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I think it all hinges on October-December.

If Xenoblade 2 is as good as Xenoblade 1, and Odyssey is as good as 64/Galaxy, then I think 2017 could rival 1998.

Normally I don't count my Chickens before they hatch, but every 3D Mario for the last 20 years has been amazing. The only exception was 3D World, but that was more like 2.5D. I really don't think Xenoblade 2 will come out this year. If it does that would be huge. 

Since 1998 is listed.

I will do 1995

First ever E3

Panzer Dragoon

Earthbound

Terranigma

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VI

Rayman

Command & Conqer

Jumping Flash

Mortal Kombat 3

Descent

Mega Man 7

Super Bomberman 3

Full Throttle

Mechwarrior 2

KOF 95

Street Fighter Zero

Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island

Tekken 2

Wing Commander IV

Comix Zone

Tactics Ogre

Front Mission

Time Crisis

Twisted Metal

Donkey Kong Country 2

Worms

Warcraft 2

Tales of Phantasia

Dragon Quest VI

Suikoden

Final Fight 3

Ys V

Kings Feild II

Mega Man X3

Earthworm Jim 2

Bioforge

Ristar

Kirby Dreamland 2

Clock Tower

Hexen

Busta Move

I have no mouth and I must scream

PlayStation 1 launched in the west

SEGA Saturn launched in the west.

1995 Is easily one of the greatest years in games. Only 1998 rivals it.