By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can 2017 be crowned as the best year in gaming already?

Among the best certainly, but probably not the best of all time.

Around the Network

Depends on your taste, I don't really like any of the games in the OP.

monocle_layton said:
Nintendo:
Switch, a highly successful and enjoyable console with the best mobile experience
BotW
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
MarioXrabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
ARMS
Mario Kart Deluxe
Metroid: Samus Returns
M&L Superstar saga remake

Sony:
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Nier Automata
HZD
Persona 5
Resident Evil
Gravity Rush 2
Crash Bandicoot
-----------------
Sonic Mania
Middle Earth

Damn impressive, but like others said '98 really challenges it. Let's not forget that 2018 so far has:

Legit spiderman game
god of war
dragonball fighterz
First home console HD pokemon RPG
Metroid Prime
Kirby
Yoshi
Shin Megami Tensei Switch
No More Heroes 2
Ni no Kuni 2
Monster Hunter world
Red Dead Redemption 2
Darksiders 3
Ori and the will of the wisps
Last of us Part 2
Kingdom Hearts 3

Jesus anyone who thinks 2017 is the best isn't gonna be ready for 2018

I dunno. I think 2018 will be inferior to 2017. Nintendo is sending out a lot of big guns in 2017, including Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Mario, Metroid, and Xenoblade. I don't see its 2018 lineup topping that, even with Metroid Prime 4.

I also don't think Sony's lineup with be superior. 2018 looks to rely too much on Sony in-house games, which are hit or miss.

Microsoft's lineup will surely be better, because how could it not be?

Multi-platform games will probably be a wash.

I'm impartial to 2001 myself. That year had some of my favourite games of all-time, including my top 2 favourites (FFX and SSBM).

No. 98 crushes it.

Horizon was ok. Probably won't even buy anything else in your list except Zelda. Unless Mario is good. Opinions and all.

Around the Network

It's up there that's for sure.

its a very memorable one.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

BraLoD said:
There was also Nier and Berseria than seems pretty good.
Ys VIII and MH Stories too.
Gotta get to Nier soon myself.

Ugh MH Stories didn't come to my house yet wait is unbearable. 

I was born in 98 so I didn't get to play any of those games listed but I'm liking 2017 so far. There's still alot I need like Nioh, Persona 5, Switch games (when I buy a Switch). 

Hiku said:

Feels like we have these topics every year. But while 2017 was one of the better years for me, I agree with the following quote:

bigtakilla said:
Sorry man, 1998. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Party, Banjo-Kazooie, F-Zero X, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft, Half Life, Parasite Eve, Rainbow 6, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Fallout 2, Resident Evil 2, Xenogears, Tomb Raider 3, Sonic Adventure, Suikoden 2, Pokémon Yellow, it doesn't even end there.

1998 was probably my favorite gaming year as well.

5. gen is easily best gen for me, so many great and one of best games ever in one gen.

Miyamotoo said:
Hiku said:

Feels like we have these topics every year. But while 2017 was one of the better years for me, I agree with the following quote:

1998 was probably my favorite gaming year as well.

5. gen is easily best gen for me, so many great and one of best games ever in one gen.

5th gen wins easily, if we talk all around greatest gen, even if my two favorite games came after.