By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Oceanhorn sold more copies on Switch than on all other consoles combined

Oceanwhat?

How much did it sell on other consoles? What other consoles? 2 copies on PS4, 2 copies on Vita? 5 on NS? Great. Conglatulations.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

The main caveat I see here is that Oceanhorn is a game that on other consoles ended up being lost in the shuffle because there are just a lot more games available on those platforms at the moment. The console versions of the game received largely mixed reviews, so it didn't have the kind of positive reaction that could have driven its sales upon release. Whereas on the Switch it had a much better chance of selling well because there isn't as much competition on the platform yet.

The game was able to stand out much better because it didn't have to fight for that exposure with hundreds of other games.

RolStoppable said:
guiduc said:

I was joking around. I know that Nintendo know their shit. I genuinely believe they have a coherent strategy that paid off real good.

Fix that sarcasm detector of yours  

I guess I've read too many curl-6 posts and that spilled over into this thread.

You have to get used to complex, layered people again.

Ganoncrotch said:
90m X1's and PS4's... not to mention the PC, but games are selling more on a System with 5million users?
I'm confused as to how this can be true.

Ganoncrotch said:
guiduc said:

I think the handheld part is what attracts players to play indie games on NSW. Console boots up fast, so you can play small games that you can turn off at any time and bring with you anywhere. Just like mobile.

I'm not saying you're wrong in the slightest, I've even picked up a few titles like "I am Setsuna, Snakepass,tumbleseed and graceful explosion machine" on the Switch for far more than the PS4 title would have cost me, just so I could play it on a plane trip.

I happily pay that extra amount for what I know to be a slightly lesser visual presentation of the game... in the trade off for being able to put it in my pocket and go out the door with the machine...

Still though if you were to estimate that there's 110m indie capable PC's in the world would mean that the Switch is tasked with selling more games with 5m compared to 200m (110mPCs+Consoles) would mean the purchase rate has to be 40x higher on the Switch than on the other platforms.

Fantastic stuff for all involved of course.

There is no mention of it selling more than the PC version just that it sold more than other console versions combined which would be X1,PS4 and WiiU.

*Googles up what Oceanhorn in*

Looks pretty interesting I may pick this up (for PS4). Definitely has a Zelda vibe so I can see why it'd sell more on Nintendo.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
*Googles up what Oceanhorn in*

Looks pretty interesting I may pick this up (for PS4). Definitely has a Zelda vibe so I can see why it'd sell more on Nintendo.

Why do you have that annoying creature known as Ann for your avatar while there much better options like Futaba, or Yusuke? :/

Bandorr said:
Ganoncrotch said:
90m X1's and PS4's... not to mention the PC, but games are selling more on a System with 5million users?

A cheap indie that is best played on a handheld, that has little competition. It is quite obvious.

I, among many others, are desperate for something to play on the switch. Thus we pick up games like this or wonder boy. When in a couple years they would never have been considered.

Same reason I'm considering DB xenoverse 2. Despite the fact it cost more, the dlc will cost more, it will have a lower framerate most of the time, and its resolution is worse. I'm literally paying more, getting less and I'm still wondering it because it is a handheld device.

The only desperation comes from people lacking of excuses to downplay Switch success.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Zoombael said:
Oceanwhat?

How much did it sell on other consoles? What other consoles? 2 copies on PS4, 2 copies on Vita? 5 on NS? Great. Conglatulations.

Did this news upset you?

Ganoncrotch said:

There are far, far fewer games to choose from on Switch.  That's cerainly part of it.  

I don't know anything about this game in particular, but some games are likely more appealing when they're portable.  Just like some games are a bigger deal on PC than consoles, even though there are a lot more consoles than gaming PCs in the world.  

Excuse incoming