By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cartridges or optical discs?

I prefer...

Cartridges 381 78.56%

Optical discs 104 21.44%

Total:485

i prefer cartridges especially for collection. Optical discs are prone to scratches, especially if you have kids. :)

Around the Network

I don't really see an advantage towards disks these days exept for the collecting factor (and the technicality that you don't own a game if its digital) casue of the fact that you have to install stuff. carts bring back the full advantage of a phisical realese, just pop it in and it'll work, no evtra memory required.

TheBraveGallade said:
I don't really see an advantage towards disks these days exept for the collecting factor (and the technicality that you don't own a game if its digital) casue of the fact that you have to install stuff. carts bring back the full advantage of a phisical realese, just pop it in and it'll work, no evtra memory required.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/08/31/nba-2k18-switch-will-require-microsd-card-internet-download/

Not always the case at all though.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643145-final-fantasy-x-hd-remaster/68848801

NBA on the Switch only has part of the game on the card you buy and FFX remaster on the Vita has both FFX and X2 in what you buy... but if you buy it at retail the card you get for the Vita just has FFX on it, FFX2 has to be downloaded from the Store onto the memory card of the console via single use code.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
fatslob-:O said:
Personally speaking, I don't see the issue with either ...

Both are just tools used to store content ...

I was about to say that disc's can be dissappointing in the area's of being able to bring you awful taste experiences that the Switch has done... but then I think back to Gran Turismo 2 and how its disc smelt of burning rubber when you were playing that game... So they both are capable of bringing extra taste / smell to the gamer as well....

It was just simulating the smell of a car's tires burning as you make the sharp turns!

VGPolyglot said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I was about to say that disc's can be dissappointing in the area's of being able to bring you awful taste experiences that the Switch has done... but then I think back to Gran Turismo 2 and how its disc smelt of burning rubber when you were playing that game... So they both are capable of bringing extra taste / smell to the gamer as well....

It was just simulating the smell of a car's tires burning as you make the sharp turns!

I know, love my original GT2 disc's still. When the PSone had been on for an endurance race those disc's would start to emit the smell... a lot hah.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
VGPolyglot said:

I know, love my original GT2 disc's still. When the PSone had been on for an endurance race those disc's would start to emit the smell... a lot hah.

I've never had that problem myself, not sure if it's because I didn't experience it, or if it was due to my poor sense of smell.

SvennoJ said:

Carts have superior load time to running directly from an optical disc, however the current switch carts already fall behind 5400 rpm hdd and internal storage.

Correct.
But that was a given anyway.

Also depends on the type of 5400rpm HDD's. Older 2.5" 5400RPM drives struggled to hit and maintain 50MB/s.
But where the Switch's cart does come out ahead (And is generally a massive advantage for all solid state storage) is random reads/writes.

Which is why when SSD's first came out (I was an early adopter) their Read/Write speeds weren't significantly better than mechanical disks... But were still worth the upgrade as it made a system feel extremely snappy.

SvennoJ said:

Carts can have superior storage yet are maxed at 32GB atm.

That's generally a Nintendo limitation.
NAND/ROM can scale by adding more chips. Sometimes you might need a better controller though.

SvennoJ said:

Carts can have equivalent audio/video quality, yet it's better for devs to stay under 8GB for cheaper carts, inviting more compression.

That is a limitation/choice from the developer, not a limitation of the technology itself. They aren't required to choose a smaller cart capacity size.
With that, there are already games that are exceeding the capacity for Dual-Layer Blu-Ray Disks that the Xbox One and Playstation 4 utilize, thus requiring compression as well. Or even additional downloads. (Halo: Master Chief Collection being an example.)

SvennoJ said:

Carts are generally more durable and portable, also more easily lost or misplaced.

Well. You aren't wrong. But also not an issue for someone like me who looks after their shiznit.
With that... The only carts I own are a few Nintendo 64 carts and a single DS cart.
But I have hundreds of games on Disk, I'll buy whatever the platform offers rather than buy a platform just for the media it uses.

SvennoJ said:

The cost factor is indeed the single caveat, yet it spoils all the advantages you listed. Sure you can have 128GB 275 MB/s cards, yet those cost $200 atm. Cost is a rather huge factor. In the here and now, optical discs offer more storage, less need for compression, and after installation no difference or faster loading times compared to running from a card.

The memory markets are extremely volatile, but the general trend is towards larger capacities for a lower price.

Stacked memory has made massive inroads in that aspect... Whilst individual chip costs are higher, their price-per-gigabyte is lower.

Mr_No said:

I'm frankly tired of going in circles with this conversation. I expressed my opinion, you didn't care for it at first, then respected it later on... If you still want to make your right to express yourself worth something, be my guest. I'm not gonna reply anymore to this or any of your comments. Adhere to that.

Just because I respect your opinion doesn't mean I am not allowed to think it is incorrect and thus challenge it.
Again, if you do not wish for people to challenge your assertions and reply to your posts. -Then a forum is probably not the best avenue for you.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

gabzjmm23 said:
i prefer cartridges especially for collection. Optical discs are prone to scratches, especially if you have kids. :)

Cartridges are prone to falling behind the tv cabinet, especially if you have kids. :)

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

The cost factor is indeed the single caveat, yet it spoils all the advantages you listed. Sure you can have 128GB 275 MB/s cards, yet those cost $200 atm. Cost is a rather huge factor. In the here and now, optical discs offer more storage, less need for compression, and after installation no difference or faster loading times compared to running from a card.

The memory markets are extremely volatile, but the general trend is towards larger capacities for a lower price.

Stacked memory has made massive inroads in that aspect... Whilst individual chip costs are higher, their price-per-gigabyte is lower.

Yes, prices are going down while card sizes keep growing. 8 years ago I paid $80 for an 8GB class 10 card, 16GB class 10 cards are $15 nowadays. Perhaps next gen cards will be able to match 4K UHD discs in price/capacity. Although I still think pressing a disk is a lot less complicated than creating a memory card. This gen blu-ray still outperforms cards in cost per GB.

Nintendo kept it cheap by limiting max capacity and read speed, cheaper reader I assume and cheaper cards. It would have been nice if the Switch could actually make full use of a 275 MB/s sd card but I guess that requires a more expensive reader? Nintendo said it will support upto 2TB SD cards, storage space for downloads won't be a problem.

Another notch against cartridges
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-rayman-legends-definitive-edition-isnt-definitive

Longest loading times of all versions

For some stages we're looking at upwards of 16 seconds, and although others can load faster, the reality is that the Wii U - a system notorious for extending loading times - manages to load up the same levels 50 per cent faster than the Switch - and that's from the disc version of the game. Meanwhile, PS4 and Xbox One have no loading screens whatsoever. The PS Vita version was the previous record holder for the longest loads, but the Switch version manages to surpass it.

It seems the devs have compressed the game as much as possible to fit on a cheaper card

We can't say for certain why this is happening, but one theory suggests that it is tied to file sizes and compression. On Wii U, the game weighs in at 6.7GB, but on Switch it's been reduced to just 2.9GB. It's even larger on PS4 and Xbox One, clocking in at around 9GB, as those versions make use of uncompressed art assets. Switch's reduced storage footprint is great for saving space but that extra compression might be connected to the extra loading - it may be the case that the CPU is kept busy unpacking the data.

The extra compression also results in a very subtle degradation in asset quality too, which would make sense considering the reduction in file size. The experience isn't impacted much at all, but when the camera zooms in during certain scenes, you can spot the difference. Is it really an issue? Possibly not, but should the problem manifest at all in a game dubbed the Definitive Edition?

I'll stick to the WiiU version, 5 player goodness.

None, both are obsolete. Steam + a huge hard drive is what matter nowadays.