By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cartridges or optical discs?

I prefer...

Cartridges 381 78.56%

Optical discs 104 21.44%

Total:485
VGPolyglot said:
Mandalore76 said:

That's because War Zone wasn't very good period.  WWF No Mercy on N64 was better than any wrestling game on PS1.  

Ranks # 1 on this list, in fact (WCW/NWO Revenge which was also very good placed 6th.) :

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/wrestling/263351/the-20-best-wrestling-games-of-all-time

I really liked War Zone myself actually. And I definitely prefer Smackdown 1 and 2 over the AKI N64 games which were slower paced.

I enjoyed Smackdown 1, despite how ugly looking it was.  The load times on Smackdown 2 had gotten so much worse though, that I found it to be virtually unplayable.  It had more features, but the constant load screens just completely sucked the fun out of playing a game.

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
I think people are forgetting one thing: if you own a game in digital, you don't actually OWN the game, unlike a phisical game...
as for me I prefer carts because I hate the loading to HDD bulshit disks do. if you are going to do that, might as well go digital...

You don't own the game when it's digital? What if I write a manuscript, apply copyright protection to it and keep it saved only on drives, I don't own my own work because there's no physical copy? Yes, I can print it whenever, but the principle is the same. If you purchase a digital product; you own it regardless of whether there's a physical copy, or are you telling me that I don't own my purchased Windows 8 license since there's no disc? My Netflix and HBO accounts aren't mine? The money in my account and not in my wallet is not mine? It's a rather ridiculous suggestion.

Besides; physical media doesn't live forever, both discs and carts have limited lifespan. I remember in the old days with floppy discs, they had terrible durability. Physical copies can also scratch or break in various ways, need manual insertion and storage, changing, and still usually require some form of install.

I mean come on. For Christ sakes you're basically plugging in the data directly into the motherboard. You just can't copy that speed from optical disc. Carts without a doubt.

Mr_No said:
Mandalore76 said:

That's because War Zone wasn't very good period.  WWF No Mercy on N64 was better than any wrestling game on PS1.  

Ranks # 1 on this list, in fact (WCW/NWO Revenge which was also very good placed 6th.) :

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/wrestling/263351/the-20-best-wrestling-games-of-all-time

That I will agree with you on. I did love Smackdown 1 and 2 a lot, but WWF No Mercy and WrestleMania 2000 were and still are my favorite wrestling games. Even WCW/NWO Revenge. War Zone wasn't good on any platform, though.

Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy will forever be the greatest wrestling games of all time. There is no further discussion needed. 

Shit I still remember playing WcW/NWO Revenge and WCW/NWO world tour while Nitro sat in its jewel case unloved.

Pemalite said:
dharh said:

This link from reddit is the best I can do as far is corroborating why PS4 doesn't play CDs being a software issue and not a hardware/laser issue.  It'd be way too time consuming explaining laser tech and providing proof that blu-ray lasers are perfectly capable of reading CD-DA disc data if the software was there.

Well. Reddit isn't evidence which is the sad reality.

BDROM and DVD/CD operate at different wavelengths and the Bluray specification doesn't gaurentee backwards compatability.
I know Sony promised to look at adding the feature when the console launched, but it has pretty much been silent on the issue, if there is a hardware limitation, then that would explain allot.

Certainly Reddit is no actual evidence.

I did have more free time to look stuff up and found this iFixit breakdown that also mentions that this is a software issue.

Blu-Ray drives that can play DVD/CD have two laser assemblies.  One for Blu-Ray and one for DVD/CD.  The PS4 also has both of these laser assemblies.  We know this from actually looking at the laser lenses inside the drive and the fact that it can play DVDs.

It also appears thre are newer single laser assemblies that can do both red and blue lasers.  I think this is what the PS4 slim and PS4 pro are using.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Cubedramirez said:
Mr_No said:

That I will agree with you on. I did love Smackdown 1 and 2 a lot, but WWF No Mercy and WrestleMania 2000 were and still are my favorite wrestling games. Even WCW/NWO Revenge. War Zone wasn't good on any platform, though.

Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy will forever be the greatest wrestling games of all time. There is no further discussion needed. 

Shit I still remember playing WcW/NWO Revenge and WCW/NWO world tour while Nitro sat in its jewel case unloved.

It's not a consensus. My picks would have to be Smackdown vs. Raw and Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain.

VGPolyglot said:
Cubedramirez said:

It's not a consensus. My picks would have to be Smackdown vs. Raw and Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain.

There is a 97% consensus on how No Mercy is the greatest wrestling game of all time. Smackdown was little to no skill and all meaningless showy animations. I guess it was enjoyable for the single player mode but when you have four friends over screaming at each other in a tornado tag; hands down No Mercy.

Cubedramirez said:
VGPolyglot said:

There is a 97% consensus on how No Mercy is the greatest wrestling game of all time. Smackdown was little to no skill and all meaningless showy animations. I guess it was enjoyable for the single player mode but when you have four friends over screaming at each other in a tornado tag; hands down No Mercy.

97% consensus? Where'd you conduct this poll? And you can have 6-man tornado tag in SD.

VGPolyglot said:
Cubedramirez said:

97% consensus? Where'd you conduct this poll? And you can have 6-man tornado tag in SD.

The 97% number is a well known fact regarding the unquestionable love No Mercy holds. 

Also fun fact, no one who had a playstation had 5 friends to play a 6 man tornado tag match with so it didn't matter. however everyone who had No Mercy had always more than enough people willing to come and play the Single Greatest Wrestling Title EVER!

Continue to question these truths and you'll make the list!

Mummelmann said:
TheBraveGallade said:
I think people are forgetting one thing: if you own a game in digital, you don't actually OWN the game, unlike a phisical game...
as for me I prefer carts because I hate the loading to HDD bulshit disks do. if you are going to do that, might as well go digital...

You don't own the game when it's digital? What if I write a manuscript, apply copyright protection to it and keep it saved only on drives, I don't own my own work because there's no physical copy? Yes, I can print it whenever, but the principle is the same. If you purchase a digital product; you own it regardless of whether there's a physical copy, or are you telling me that I don't own my purchased Windows 8 license since there's no disc? My Netflix and HBO accounts aren't mine? The money in my account and not in my wallet is not mine? It's a rather ridiculous suggestion.

Besides; physical media doesn't live forever, both discs and carts have limited lifespan. I remember in the old days with floppy discs, they had terrible durability. Physical copies can also scratch or break in various ways, need manual insertion and storage, changing, and still usually require some form of install.

This is where digital gets interesting.  It's very convenient, but as a retro gamer, I don't want to be stuck with no game if the hardware dies or the servers are shut down, etc. etc.  Physical media doesn't last forever...but I have had 0 of ~100 cartridges die on me except for the second hand ones that were mistreated by their previous owners.  In fact, I've even only had a couple of disc issues, and both of those were second hand too (but I admit my DVDs and CDs are giving me a handful of problems, probably in the 1-2% range.)

If someone would create an iTunes-like experience for digital (that spans multiple generations of consoles - like my TG16 R-Type can be transferred from Wii to Wii U to Switch), I'd totally go for that.

When someone creates a Netflix-like experience for digital (probably where Nintendo's going with Switch), I'll think about it.  I prefer collecting but if the price:games ratio is right, who knows?

For me, it's: 1. Carts 2. Discs 3. Digital - but digital could easily be 2 or maybe even 1 with the right platform behind it.