By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Officer in Georgia says to woman during traffic stop: "We only kill black people"

numberwang said:

There was a study that police in the US is a bit less likely to shoot blacks than whites. Overall lethal force by police is rare considering the amount of homicides in comparison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Biggest problem is inner-city crime (gangs) which is mostly inner-racial violence. About 90% of blacks are getting murdered by other blacks according to the FBI data:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

That's ignoring the cirumstances surrounding. Blacks are poorer on average than whites, and a higher proportion are in poverty, and poverty breeds desperation which causes an increase in crime.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
numberwang said:

There was a study that police in the US is a bit less likely to shoot blacks than whites. Overall lethal force by police is rare considering the amount of homicides in comparison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Biggest problem is inner-city crime (gangs) which is mostly inner-racial violence. About 90% of blacks are getting murdered by other blacks according to the FBI data:
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

That's ignoring the cirumstances surrounding. Blacks are poorer on average than whites, and a higher proportion are in poverty, and poverty breeds desperation which causes an increase in crime.

The person wasn't saying that violence is connected to race, just that the statistics paint a clear picture. 

Non issue, move along/

ArchangelMadzz said:
Something tells me he was making an inappropriate joke and wasn't being 100% serious.

Peeople are forgetting that it was inappropriate. It's as idiotic as a teacher telling his future student 'I'm not gonna rape you'.

Dude clearly isn't serious, but it's a dumbass thing to do. Instead of people crying about political correctness ruining the world, they should remember that police officers are the LAST people who should be making such jokes. They're supposed to be reassuring, not making dark jokes that can freak someone out

Very crude joke but its still just a joke. Too bad this will just be more ammo for riots by ignorant mislead people.

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
Arminillo said:

We have 30 years of popular music talking about killing cops, it's not like this is a one way street. I dont see how people think its ok to treat police as something other than human.

and we have more than 30 years of history discriminating of colored people in the USA...

musician and cops have different job description and they get payed differently, i do not know what is your taste in music, but i do not think it is ok. I guess this action should be ok with you since musicisian talk about killing cops?

what im trying to say here is that what society is currently doing right now, isnt helping anything. Both sides setting themselves up as righteous while flinging shit at the other. I do think there should be consequences for this officer saying what he said, but I also realize this was dark humor and do not think his entire livelyhood should be destroyed as a result. Bottom line is that cops are individual people, they dont have a hive mind, and they are not equally responsible for the action of some cop in another state or another time period. I'm sure I would get tired if every time I walked up to someone (especially someone who is definitely breaking the law, like this woman) and they said they were afraid for their lives to impede my job.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Brii said:
Superman4 said:
I think everyone is overreacting. He was attempting to make light of her comment and comfort her by joking about what the media has portrayed as fact and is clearly what was driving her fear of the police. This country is becoming a bunch of pussies that try and twist anything and everything into something that its not just so they can be outraged over something.

I don't think people are denying that the comment was made at least mostly in jest, but it is reflective of a pretty horrific and dissmissive attitude the police have to a group of people they are supposed to protect and serve. Those people already feel targeted and are wary of the police and this only validates a genuine fear that being stopped by a police officer might result in them being killed.

These kind of statements never cease to impress me. I'm not sure if it gets worse everyday or people are just more comfortable (kind of ironic) with projecting their factually vulnerable "feels".

There are those that base evidence on their "feels" and there are those that base evidence on reality. We have two things; reality and interpretation of reality. When someone says they feel (interpretation) targeted, it does not mean they are targeted. Being stopped by a police officer might result in them being killed? How many traffic stops take place versus how many innocent people have been shot by police officers during a traffic stop? Again, I find myself impressed since the collective evidence suggests that the chances of an innocent person getting killed by a police officer at a traffic stop couldn't be anymore closer to zero. The number of people who have won the lottery greatly outnumbers the amount of innocent people being shot by a police officer during a traffic stop.

The question is, do the "feels" outweigh reality?

A_C_E said:
Brii said:

I don't think people are denying that the comment was made at least mostly in jest, but it is reflective of a pretty horrific and dissmissive attitude the police have to a group of people they are supposed to protect and serve. Those people already feel targeted and are wary of the police and this only validates a genuine fear that being stopped by a police officer might result in them being killed.

These kind of statements never cease to impress me. I'm not sure if it gets worse everyday or people are just more comfortable (kind of ironic) with projecting their factually vulnerable "feels".

There are those that base evidence on their "feels" and there are those that base evidence on reality. We have two things; reality and interpretation of reality. When someone says they feel (interpretation) targeted, it does not mean they are targeted. Being stopped by a police officer might result in them being killed? How many traffic stops take place versus how many innocent people have been shot by police officers during a traffic stop? Again, I find myself impressed since the collective evidence suggests that the chances of an innocent person getting killed by a police officer at a traffic stop couldn't be anymore closer to zero. The number of people who have won the lottery greatly outnumbers the amount of innocent people being shot by a police officer during a traffic stop.

Probably easy to feel this way when you've never been put in a position where a routine situation could lead to you getting shot. 

That dude who was choked to death by several officers for selling CDs on a street corner or the kid that was shot to death for wearing a hoodie while walking home or that other dude who was shot to death like 8 times in front of his daughter while simply reaching for his papers ... yeah if that happened to people who speicifically looked exactly like you, I imagine you might have a different POV in that scenario. 

Soundwave said:
A_C_E said:

Probably easy to feel this way when you've never been put in a position where a routine situation could lead to you getting shot. 

That dude who was choked to death by several officers for selling CDs on a street corner or the kid that was shot to death for wearing a hoodie while walking home or that other dude who was shot to death like 8 times in front of his daughter while simply reaching for his papers ... yeah if that happened to people who speicifically looked exactly like you, I imagine you might have a different POV in that scenario. 

How do you know ACE isnt black?

Soundwave said:

Easy to feel this way? I'm confused since I didn't mention how I feel. I've been to parties and gun ranges and the sort and statistically speaking I was more likely to get shot in those situations then at a traffic stop by a police officer. Shaky analogies don't win you brownie points.

That dude that was choked, sad story. Kid shot wearing a hoodie, sad story. Dude shot 8 times in front of daughter, very sad story. I would hope my POV wouldn't be weak enough to allow bias to run rampant to the point that I would no longer be able to distinguish reality from my "feels".