By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The state of digital sales on Playstation

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:
So, it's 40% of all games. I wonder how much it is of all games that get a physical release though. In any case, unless something drastic changes in my psyche, I'm going to stay physical.

Well on that you can look at HZD... something between 1/4 and 1/3 of retail games are sold digitally. And of course 100% of digital only is sold digital. If that put digital sales at 40% of total sales (that probably includes DLC and the likes)... I would say that retail still represents more than 2/3 of games sold, maybe even 4/5.

Also, I'd say that 26.9% is closer to 1/4 than 1/3.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
konnichiwa said:
I think it is also better for the devs who don't have to lose money on shipping/retailers cuts.

But... if they're selling it on PSN then Sony is the retailer and they definitely still take their retailer cut.

We just don't know how much Sony take on it. I mean, how much above the common royalty cut. But all in all considering less cost to print copies, ship, receive only for the sold ones, cuts from everyone and etc, the dev probably take a little more on digital.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

VGPolyglot said:
DonFerrari said:

Well on that you can look at HZD... something between 1/4 and 1/3 of retail games are sold digitally. And of course 100% of digital only is sold digital. If that put digital sales at 40% of total sales (that probably includes DLC and the likes)... I would say that retail still represents more than 2/3 of games sold, maybe even 4/5.

Also, I'd say that 26.9% is closer to 1/4 than 1/3.

You are right. But when I wrote the 1/3 I was rounding 915 to 1M and 3.4M to 3M, and that would be 1/3, Just after I made the division and didn't bother to change it to 1/4.

But yes, 1/4 would be closer to it (although maybe considering they probably count shipped SW and digital sales, if we were just counting sales it would be closer to 1/3, but that is almost irrelevant)...

Sure thing that when we discuss those games that people inflate the total sales (that weren't ever formally disclosed, but we get physical sales on NPD) that would make more difference, even more when some crazy put 50%+ digital ratio.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

We just don't know how much Sony take on it. I mean, how much above the common royalty cut. But all in all considering less cost to print copies, ship, receive only for the sold ones, cuts from everyone and etc, the dev probably take a little more on digital.

Don't forget the higher selling price of digital games too, so yeah devs definitely take more on digital!

There is this as well... I really preffer hardcopies of the stuffs I own and like... and only buy digital games when they are dirty cheap... like going on EB games or the like and see a somewhat old game at 40 and there is a PSN+ promotion puting that same game bellow 10... that is the point I consider buying it, otherwise I want my disc and be able to share with someone... although my leecher brother loves when I buy digital and he can share from accross the continent.

Lots of great news from Sony. Going to be very interesting to see what they do to attempt to fend off XOX and Switch this holiday. Looking forward to some huge Bundles for Slim an Pro, possibly a price cut, and definitly some absurd PSN flash sales.

It is no surprise digital is doing so well. The massive increase in value, flexability, ease of use, and security are amoung a few reasons why I went all digital almost a decade ago. I really hope we see PS4 digital only editions eventually, at a discounted price. It would be really nice to have both a PS5 with 4K Blu-ray and Digitaly Only from Day One.I fully expect digital sales to pass 50% before the launch of PS5.

I am also very interested to see the more social focused and "casual" games they are going to bring out. I am not really into the whole Playlink thing, as I absolutley detest smartphones, but I would love to see Motion games come back, and a return to weekly Singstar updates. As much as I love God of War, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Horizon and the rest of Sony's unmatched core offerings, these late life titles that I enjoy with Friends and Family are always my favorite.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I was so pissed off when my Vita memory card problems, which have been going on for years, culminated in a 32gb card straight up dying, that I haven't bought a digital game on any platform since January. Yeah, I know, back it up so you don't have to re-download, but I have 8 Vita memory cards, 5 of which are 32gb, so it's easy to fall behind on maintenance. The card that died already had stuff re-downloaded several times as well, and with the limit Sony places on how many times a purchase can be re-done, I could be screwed when I try to do it again, and have to call Sony to plead my case. Yay digital. At least all my save data was backed up on the PS+ servers. Incidentally, I would have placed my purchases at around 40% digital before I went 100% physical. I'll eventually crack, and buy digital again, because there are digital-only games I want.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Glad digital is taking of. I expect games with multiplayer to be around 30% from digital.

The profit margins on the psn store must be through the roof. Sounds extremely Lcurative for Sony

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

There is this as well... I really preffer hardcopies of the stuffs I own and like... and only buy digital games when they are dirty cheap... like going on EB games or the like and see a somewhat old game at 40 and there is a PSN+ promotion puting that same game bellow 10... that is the point I consider buying it, otherwise I want my disc and be able to share with someone... although my leecher brother loves when I buy digital and he can share from accross the continent.

heh, same here. Digital games are almost exclusively for when there is a sale on or something. Well, except PC of course

I don't do PC, but yes, with so much sales there being digital is a no brainer.

KBG29 said:
Lots of great news from Sony. Going to be very interesting to see what they do to attempt to fend off XOX and Switch this holiday. Looking forward to some huge Bundles for Slim an Pro, possibly a price cut, and definitly some absurd PSN flash sales.

It is no surprise digital is doing so well. The massive increase in value, flexability, ease of use, and security are amoung a few reasons why I went all digital almost a decade ago. I really hope we see PS4 digital only editions eventually, at a discounted price. It would be really nice to have both a PS5 with 4K Blu-ray and Digitaly Only from Day One.I fully expect digital sales to pass 50% before the launch of PS5.

I am also very interested to see the more social focused and "casual" games they are going to bring out. I am not really into the whole Playlink thing, as I absolutley detest smartphones, but I would love to see Motion games come back, and a return to weekly Singstar updates. As much as I love God of War, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Horizon and the rest of Sony's unmatched core offerings, these late life titles that I enjoy with Friends and Family are always my favorite.

My wife loves singing games and since my boy is almost 3y some casual and simple games will come in hand.

I have no desire to be really digital only. But having a cheaper version of the console for digital only (maybe even a streaming version only as well)... something like PS5, PS5DO, PSStreamBox going like 400, 350, 200. I would totally support.

COKTOE said:

I was so pissed off when my Vita memory card problems, which have been going on for years, culminated in a 32gb card straight up dying, that I haven't bought a digital game on any platform since January. Yeah, I know, back it up so you don't have to re-download, but I have 8 Vita memory cards, 5 of which are 32gb, so it's easy to fall behind on maintenance. The card that died already had stuff re-downloaded several times as well, and with the limit Sony places on how many times a purchase can be re-done, I could be screwed when I try to do it again, and have to call Sony to plead my case. Yay digital. At least all my save data was backed up on the PS+ servers. Incidentally, I would have placed my purchases at around 40% digital before I went 100% physical. I'll eventually crack, and buy digital again, because there are digital-only games I want.

The 3 times I really needed PSN+ to work (the main reason I have it is cloud saves) I was bit in the but. On PS3 GT6 the game saved a corrupted file on the cloud at the same time it did in the console and Sony couldn't retrieve previous save. The automatic saving only working on main console is another issue. So I keep the PSN+ for just the sake of keeping the backup and some offers.

Kerotan said:
The profit margins on the psn store must be through the roof. Sounds extremely Lcurative for Sony

Yep, Shu is probably very happy toad now.

With PS4 games I think it's safe to assume that games are at least 25% digital on top of physical sales. Which is 20% of total sales.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.