By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation: An excellent platform

It's all about that variety for me, it's why i like it as a platform and the main reason i believe it's so succesful.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
One thing I like about PlayStation is that even though I could care less for most of the popular Western stuff like Horizon or God of War, there are still games I am interested in and enjoy, mainly Japanese games.

Notable examples include Gravity Rush, Persona 5, and the .hack series which I plan to pick up when those games come out.

I was never really into God of War, but the new one looks like its worth a try.

I gave Horizon a try, and dont regret that at all.

But yeah the reason to get a PS4 (in my opinion), is its the best place to find rpgs/jrpgs.

COKTOE said:

I've been on board since the beginning. Was blown away by Destruction Derby, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Warhark, Battle Area Toshinden ( yeah, that one aged quickly ), ect after I rented it at launch. Had to buy one immediately after. I've always stuck with them, but oddly the PS2 was my least "Playstation-y" era. Used to be a multi-plat owner, but as the years wore on, I became a PS-only gamer, which truly began in 2008 or 2009, after I sold my DS Lite. Sure they fuck up, and do things I don't like, but overall they conduct their business in a way that I've appreciated for the most part.

It's a Playstation!

Nice. I've been gaming PlayStation since I was a little kid too. Made the jump from nintnedo and almost didn't turn back past the ps2 era. Glad I didn't miss out on other platforms games but Sony is the most consistent company and covers first and third party where their competitors do not.

Last gen was rocky (partly due to most Japanese devs stumbling their way through it....or was that due to the Cell architecture being awful to work with?), but this gen has been a return to form. A good mix of western & eastern 1st & 3rd party titles, plus lots of indies and experimental stuff (like VR and mobile connected titles like That's You) to fill in the gaps; variety is and will always be the name of the game.

Ultrashroomz said:
One thing I like about PlayStation is that even though I could care less for most of the popular Western stuff like Horizon or God of War, there are still games I am interested in and enjoy, mainly Japanese games.

Notable examples include Gravity Rush, Persona 5, and the .hack series which I plan to pick up when those games come out.

I agree, it's the combination of western + Japanese games that brings in mass appeal. For you, the Japanese games are more interesting which I agree with

AlfredoTurkey said:

PS3, on the other hand... most of the best and biggest third party games went to 360 or played better on 360. Even more so when you get into online multiplayer games. The UI was chuggy and slow, PSN was pretty bad... overall, PS3 was basically Sony's Gamecube. It had some really great first party games but nothing else.

PS4 is just... idk. It has again, some great first party titles but it all feels so generic. PS3 felt like a Japanese console. PS4 feels like an American console. It's biggest selling game is now COD. It's what most dude-bros own. It's (the brand) no longer unique imo. They wanted to copy what MS had done in the west and outdo them... they achieved that goal. But by doing so, lost their identity in the process. At least for me anyway.

PS3 was the most rough spot and it still ended up a big success. I think that shows that, despite its flaws, it still had the variety people wanted. I agree, Sony might be western focused compared to before but I think that's because of where gaming has gone over the past two generations. The western 3rd parties have been super successful while the Japanese developers have fallen from grace a bit. They seem to be on the up though after a steep learning curve into HD development. Plus, Japanese developers have always been slow to jump into the next generation, we should start seeing more and more Japanese games coming.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I'm a bit frustrated. Technically speaking, nothing you said is wrong. But I was expecting a discussion about what makes the PS4 great, now a How To Basic : Understanding Playstation since 1994 101 course.

That's fair. I was going to go farther into depth with it but decided not to for a few reasons. 1) I didn't want the OP to be too long due to noticing an even bigger decline in people actually reading the OP on this site. 2) I was going to bed and was admittedly rushing a bit. 3) I figured I got the gist across. I'm sorry.

BraLoD said:
Now go play LoD.

Tell Sony to release PS classics to the PS4 or PS Now and maybe I will

[] [] [] {} [] 

Around the Network

Yep, pretty much. I love my PS4. I've got a gaming PC but I barely use it, and I could buy an XBox One anytime, but I don't see why I would.

If PC didn't miss so many games it would be better, but so far Playstation remains the best option for having the best support.

Basically go Sony + Nintendo and you won't miss a single game.

yea, I'm a gamer with a really broad interest in games, so the variety of games the Playstation consoles deliver/foster is right up my alley

Rain2 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I'm a bit frustrated. Technically speaking, nothing you said is wrong. But I was expecting a discussion about what makes the PS4 great, now a How To Basic : Understanding Playstation since 1994 101 course.

That's fair. I was going to go farther into depth with it but decided not to for a few reasons. 1) I didn't want the OP to be too long due to noticing an even bigger decline in people actually reading the OP on this site. 2) I was going to bed and was admittedly rushing a bit. 3) I figured I got the gist across. I'm sorry.

Lol i wasn't trying to be offensive man, that comment comes off way doucher than i intended, I apologize. I guess from my perspective i'd say PS4 was pretty bad as a platform for about 3 years, wasn't really that good till this year, so when the OP ended up just being a talk about PS as a whole it was kind of hard to rebuttal anything. You're fine!

Yup. It's always been a great compliment to my Nintendo consoles/handhelds. I really hated the PS3, but the PS4 is much, much better, so I am glad. I hope the PS5 is just as good.

Hi