By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation: An excellent platform

Welcome all

I've decided to do an opinion piece on the Playstation platform. Why? Well, as a Nintendo fan for the most part since the N64 days, I never fully understood the appeal for Playstation. I didn't grow up exposed to it beyond the occasional session at a friends house, nor did I pay any attention to gaming media until 2007. Even then, after becoming fully aware of the PS3, I didn't give it much of a chance. 

Jump forward to today and I have owned a PS4 for roughly three years. It's safe to say, my opinion of the platform has changed significantly. Not so much due to the games I've been playing but moreso because of what I haven't. To state the obvious, games are quite subjective and tastes vary greatly. What I enjoy, somebody else might hate with a burning passion and vise versa. However, that's the entire point.

Sony has created an ecosystem that fits the needs of both developer and consumer. It's a strategy that benefits Sony for sure, we can't forget it's a business with the sole aim of making money. With that said, that doesn't mean we can't respect it. As I get older and notice things about life and how it operates, I begin to look at everything with a fresh perspective. My current thinking has me gravitating towards anything that assists others in doing what they are passionate about. This, in my opinion, is the type of environment Sony has created with Playstation. For that alone, Playstation deserves the success it has gotten. 

[] [] [] {} [] 

Around the Network

One thing I like about PlayStation is that even though I could care less for most of the popular Western stuff like Horizon or God of War, there are still games I am interested in and enjoy, mainly Japanese games.

Notable examples include Gravity Rush, Persona 5, and the .hack series which I plan to pick up when those games come out.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

I've been on board since the beginning. Was blown away by Destruction Derby, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Warhark, Battle Area Toshinden ( yeah, that one aged quickly ), ect after I rented it at launch. Had to buy one immediately after. I've always stuck with them, but oddly the PS2 was my least "Playstation-y" era. Used to be a multi-plat owner, but as the years wore on, I became a PS-only gamer, which truly began in 2008 or 2009, after I sold my DS Lite. Sure they fuck up, and do things I don't like, but overall they conduct their business in a way that I've appreciated for the most part.

It's a Playstation!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

An excellent platform for Sony indeed

I liked Playstation 1 and 2 because they had games that no one else had. Playstation 1 had a lock on most adult games that were new to the industry. PS2 had a lock on just about every important third party game during that era. You simply couldn't enjoy most of the great games without owning it.

PS3, on the other hand... most of the best and biggest third party games went to 360 or played better on 360. Even more so when you get into online multiplayer games. The UI was chuggy and slow, PSN was pretty bad... overall, PS3 was basically Sony's Gamecube. It had some really great first party games but nothing else.

PS4 is just... idk. It has again, some great first party titles but it all feels so generic. PS3 felt like a Japanese console. PS4 feels like an American console. It's biggest selling game is now COD. It's what most dude-bros own. It's (the brand) no longer unique imo. They wanted to copy what MS had done in the west and outdo them... they achieved that goal. But by doing so, lost their identity in the process. At least for me anyway.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

I liked Playstation 1 and 2 because they had games that no one else had. Playstation 1 had a lock on most adult games that were new to the industry. PS2 had a lock on just about every important third party game during that era. You simply couldn't enjoy most of the great games without owning it.

PS3, on the other hand... most of the best and biggest third party games went to 360 or played better on 360. Even more so when you get into online multiplayer games. The UI was chuggy and slow, PSN was pretty bad... overall, PS3 was basically Sony's Gamecube. It had some really great first party games but nothing else.

PS4 is just... idk. It has again, some great first party titles but it all feels so generic. PS3 felt like a Japanese console. PS4 feels like an American console. It's biggest selling game is now COD. It's what most dude-bros own. It's (the brand) no longer unique imo. They wanted to copy what MS had done in the west and outdo them... they achieved that goal. But by doing so, lost their identity in the process. At least for me anyway.

I mean it is the lead console in the US now so it's selling more COD but they still have wacky first party titles and artsy stuff other platforms don't fund.  So I feel they've kept their unique first party.

I am Iron Man

That is what PlayStation is all about from games, to apps, and services it has massive variety, and it has continued to grow each generation. I have always bern a fan of the extras, CD on PS1, DVD/Eyetoy/Linux on PS2, Blu-ray/PS Move/Web Browser/Audio/Video/Photo/Content Editors/Linux and so much more on PS3. That continues this gen with PSVR, the addition of gameplay recording + Share Factory, PS Vue, the Platform just keeps expanding, offering new expereinces, and reaching a wider audience.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I wouldn't say excellent but it's certainly serviceable. It ticks all the boxes for the lowest common denominator, so the success is deserved.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The only excellent platform by Sony was and is The PS2

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

I'm a bit frustrated. Technically speaking, nothing you said is wrong. But I was expecting a discussion about what makes the PS4 great, now a How To Basic : Understanding Playstation since 1994 101 course.