By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you liked but dragged on for too long.

Many (if not most) Final Fantasy games lol

I feel like quite a number of them were fun and had some excellent villains, but for some reason that villain would frequently be only the underling of some far less fleshed out and less interesting top baddy.

Around the Network

Nier. It's an excellent 20-25 hour game, that just drags on for another 10 to 15 hours bringing the whole game down as a result.

Red Dead Redemption. A good game that for some reason a lot of people see as a masterpiece. It took me ages to finish the game as I just repeatedly got bored playing it as I felt like it just kept going forever.

Bravely Default
Rome Total War
Bravely Default
Dragon Age Inquisition
Bravely Default
Skyward Sword (least guilty of this list in my mind but still notable)
Bravely Default
Metroid Prime 2

And did I mention Bravely Default? Because that's the worst of the lot by a thousand country miles. It's 2/3s of a great game sellotaped to an absolutely dreadful one. The final length of the game is a void, where nothing happens and nothing matters. And then the game just picks up at the final boss! The game has an AMAZING wham moment and then...nothing. Just nothing, a blackhole of a plot where the whole story just ceases to be for several hours and the mandatory bosses STOP GIVING YOU F***ING XP and then the game just resumes and all the characters talk in the final act as if the last several HOURS of the game never happened. It's like the game was finished and fantastic but they felt the need to stuff in several hours of quite literally nothing to pad the lenght. And the worst part? That segment had immense potential to be amusing, moving, mind-screwing, all kinds of potential. And wasted, ignored, with only the most limp of attempts to capitalize. It is, as far as I can recall, the only game I truly enjoyed thoroughly and put scores of hours into only to throw my hands up in frustration and watch the ending on YouTube.

Kingdoms of Amalur for me, I actually really got into the game and was unfortunately ensnared by it's laundry list of gltiches and bugs almost as soon as I started, a lot of them I didn't even realise were issues, for instance the one where when you entered a city/significant location the camera would do this 30 second take of the lcoation, just thought it was an annoying quirk on the devs part. I also got the fast travel glitch, meaning that i had to walk everywhere from then on, I quietly put the game to one side and never returned shortly after, the glitches finally bested me.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012

SvennoJ said:
The witcher 3 for me. I should have focused more on the story, by the end I didn't care at all about the story anymore due to all the padded on busy work. Loot/inventory management, repetitive events, locations and enemies, it all started to drag. Before that GTA5. I enjoyed the story mode better in GTA4. GTA5 lost its welcome in the 3rd act. Also linear games can drag on too long, Rise of the tombraider for example and Uncharted 4 the last couple of levels were just a lot of boring gun fights.

It's not that the length is a problem, I didn't have any issues with Far Cry 4 or Fallout 4 (finished all endings, while building huge settlements) nor Zelda (170 hours) or Horizon Zero Dawn (80 hours) Some games remain interesting longer than others.

I still have MGS5 in my backlog, bought day 1, unopened :/
Bristow9091 said:
The Witcher 3, I'm playing it right this second, currently at 88 hours into the game, still have a lot more to do in terms of story... don't get me wrong, I'm having fun playing it, and it's a really great game, I see why people love it and why it got great scores and sales, but holy shit it's dragging on and on and on... I just want to finish it so I can move on to other games in my backlog!                                     

Didn't mention it before but i'm playing the Witcher 3 now and I see feel the same way. I've decided to stay away from side quests until I beat the main campaign before I burn out. Thank god i'm almost finished. Fun game though.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, that's a great example actually. I remember that 2nd half killing what was otherwise an excellently made classic feeling JRPG. It's a game I have mixed feelings about everytime I'm reminded of it...

Still glad I jumped off the first game to go and play the 2nd game instead, none of that bullshit there :D

Well thats good to hear. I'll get to that one eventually.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Fun, but really wish they didn't add a tedious story mode :/

I love the game, but I have to say Okami. I appreciate the epic story, but it feels like it's going to end twice before it actually does.

Any Disgaea.

I feel like P4G is starting to feel like it should have ended about 12 hours ago...

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azzanation said:
Some of the old Dungeon in the early days of wow.. so many trash mobs and bosses to clear out it took hours.. literally hours.
And those old AV sessions which 1 match could take 6 hours.. old school wow players will know what i am talking about.

Sadly for me, I enjoyed it like that. 20 minute dungeons and battlegrounds bore me. Imo they should offer both like they used to. WSG could end in 5 minutes or 60 and I enjoyed both. BRD was my absolute favorite dungeon, and it stills takes time, but a quick SFK run should still be available too. AV could have 2 queues and different rewards.

For OT: Nioh's postgame is designed to waste your time. I felt like the process could be a little faster, even after looking up tricks to speed it up it just felt bad and slow.