By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Things you ALWAYS do in new games?

There's no way I'm going to start a new game without checking the settings first unless it forces me to, in which case I check the settings as soon as I can pause the game. From there, I typically enable subtitles and might do various tweaks depending on the game.

I also like to try out the controls as extensively as I can and dare, although it's not a strict must.

Around the Network

Spend way too much time on character customization.

Pause the game before I exit the start area (if there is one) and read up on the game to make sure I'm not missing anything that will haunt me later on.

Pause the game so that I can master the inventory and related functions. I always want to understand those features as soon as possible.

One thing I do that I REALLY hate ... is restarting games. It's practically ruined games for me. If I do bad the first few hours playing the game, I restart it. If it's been too long since I've played a game, I restart it. It makes a perpetual cycle where I played the first few hours of a game like 10x. Sometimes I've even played the first 5 hours of a game like 5 times. I simply care too much about how good or bad i'm doing, always judging my self with a compulsion. Negativity and pessimism, it makes it so that I can barely finish games. Sometimes I drop the game after a long time. It's not the games fault, it's mine.

RolStoppable said:
I create a new save file.

I don't believe a snarky remark such as this in a thread created by a moderator is the best way to make friends around here. 

Let the game idle to see if there's a cinematic or demo. It gets me in the mood.

If you guys bought the new Sonic, let it idle for a cartoon cinematic. Don't be in such a rush. Savor the experience, sometimes.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
If it's been too long since I've played a game, I restart it.

Yep, this is a huge problem I have right here. It's also the reason why I can no longer have multiple games on the go anymore, now I strictly stick to one game at a time and don't start another until it's finished, although sometimes it gets to the point where I have to force myself to play the game even when I really don't want to, just so I can finally move onto something else, it's actually starting to feel like that with The Witcher 3, I've been playing it for about seven weeks now and I've still not finished it!

It's really sad how much i've degraded as a gamer. Sometimes I struggle to even have fun in a game and it becomes more stressful. 

I'm having the problem you're having now. I'm enjoying Horizon - but I want a platformer to play on the side, and I can't decide between Crash or Sonic, and beyond that I only play for like 3 hours a day ... so dividing time up would mean i never finish all the games I have D : 

Create a save file then exit the game and maybe play it again.

Ultrashroomz said:
IMO, going to the settings menu (if the game has one, which is 99% of modern games these days) and tweaking with everything is absolutely mandatory.

People who just press New Game without doing anything else is just absolutely maddening to me.

Haha, who are these people?

Bristow9091 said:

Another thing I always do, although this is exclusively to RPGs, is look up stat builds and character/weapon info, since I wouldn't want to get halfway through the game before realising I've messed up my stat distribution and turned my character into a pile of walking shit.

Haha, same here.

Invert Y-axis.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.