By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What are your thoughts and feelings on smart devices in home (echo, home, etc)?

Are you concerned about privacy issues with these devices?

Yes 33 71.74%

No 10 21.74%

Results 3 6.52%

Total:46
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

You don't get what the point of them is?

There is a reason why in every scifi movie everything is automated or voice activated. Because it's convenient. People will get used to it and in 20 years people will wonder why there ever was such a thing as power on buttons. Prices aren't an issue here as soon it will become standard anyway.

So for people that aren`t lazy as fuck... there`s not much point in them.

Like seriously, it requires practically no effort to turn on a tap or a light or open a fridge. Light switches are by doors for a reason, when you walk in it`s a matter of moving your hand up a few inches and done. Same for taps, the on part is literally right next to the bit where water comes out.

You sound like someone in 1900 defending candles against lightbulbs.

You live yourself in a highly automated world and wouldn't want to have it any other way. You really need some self reflection if you truly cannot get that concept. I'll make it easier for you. Just imagine that everything that is wireless today would suddenly become wired again. You'd see that as a hassle too.

It's kinda silly to complain about technological advances and how lazy has everyone become when you yourself live in a world that people just a hundred years ago would call easy life magic. Why do you get delivered food when you could go to the store and buy and prepare it yourself? Why would you go to the store and buy food when you could grow it yourself? You must be an extremely lazy fuck.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

You sound like someone in 1900 defending candles against lightbulbs.

You live yourself in a highly automated world and wouldn't want to have it any other way. You really need some self reflection if you truly cannot get that concept. I'll make it easier for you. Just imagine that everything that is wireless today would suddenly become wired again. You'd see that as a hassle too.

It's kinda silly to complain about technological advances and how lazy has everyone become when you yourself live in a world that people just a hundred years ago would call easy life magic. Why do you get delivered food when you could go to the store and buy and prepare it yourself? Why would you go to the store and buy food when you could grow it yourself? You must be an extremely lazy fuck.

If I had enough cables and they were long enough I`d already have everything wired. I`ve already got most of my things wired. So no, that wouldn`t be a hassle at all

And I do go to the store and buy/prepare food myself. I don`t grow it myself because I don`t want to kill a pig every time I want some bacon

Why don't you have everything wired then? Too lazy to get longer cables? That technology lazyness is really showing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Why don't you have everything wired then? Too lazy to get longer cables? That technology lazyness is really showing.

Not too lazy, more too poor. I literally can`t afford any cables at the moment

So you're saying having certain things wireless is more convenient for your lifestyle because you prefer food over cables? Well isn't that the darndest thing. So you do have a sense of convenience. Good. Now apply that to other people than yourself and you have all your answers as to why smart devices exist and why people use them and why it's still a growing market.

vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not too lazy, more too poor. I literally can`t afford any cables at the moment

So you're saying having certain things wireless is more convenient for your lifestyle because you prefer food over cables? Well isn't that the darndest thing. So you do have a sense of convenience. Good. Now apply that to other people than yourself and you have all your answers as to why smart devices exist and why people use them and why it's still a growing market.

I have a counter arguement against your more convenience theory.  My example would be cars/vehicles.  Somewhere around late 90s/early 2000s cars have become more and more complex.  Most people used to be able to work on their own cars and by fixing/repairing their cars themselves.  Well in the past decade or two car manufacturers have made it more complex to be able to perform basic actions including even trying to access important things such as your radiator fluid intake (I've seen it hidden underneath plastic that one would have to unscrew/bolt just to get access to it to fill it with fluid).  So while things might seem like they are being more convenient on the outside (such as car now has GPS, etc) it really has become almost impossible for the average person to perform basic car maintainence themselves.  Why?  Because the dealer wants people to come to them for basically any little thing that could go wrong (for people that actually take their cars to overpriced dealerships for work).

Anything that is more digital has an increased chance of messing up.  A regular door handle/lock will almost always outlast a lock that is digital.  More computer boards and wires you put into something the more increased chance something goes wrong.  Heck my electronic locks went to shit after just a few years on my car.  I never bothered replacing it or even trying to fix it.  The person can wait outside my car while I reach over and unlock the door for them.

So my question to you is.  Do you understand this point of view?

sethnintendo said:
vivster said:

I have a counter arguement against your more convenience theory.  My example would be cars/vehicles.  Somewhere around late 90s/early 2000s cars have become more and more complex.  Most people used to be able to work on their own cars and by fixing/repairing their cars themselves.  Well in the past decade or two car manufacturers have made it more complex to be able to perform basic actions including even trying to access important things such as your radiator fluid intake (I've seen it hidden underneath plastic that one would have to unscrew/bolt just to get access to it to fill it with fluid).  So while things might seem like they are being more convenient on the outside (such as car now has GPS, etc) it really has become almost impossible for the average person to perform basic car maintainence themselves.  Why?  Because the dealer wants people to come to them for basically any little thing that could go wrong (for people that actually take their cars to overpriced dealerships for work).

Anything that is more digital has an increased chance of messing up.  A regular door handle/lock will almost always outlast a lock that is digital.  More computer boards and wires you put into something the more increased chance something goes wrong.  Heck my electronic locks went to shit after just a few years on my car.  I never bothered replacing it or even trying to fix it.  The person can wait outside my car while I reach over and unlock the door for them.

So my question to you is.  Do you understand this point of view?

This point of view does not hold up in reality. Of course technology makes things more complex, because they ARE more complex. Simple things can break and complex things can break. The drawback of not being able to repair something yourself is tiny compared to the added convenience. With increased technology our overall wealth has increased as well, meaning repairs are affordable and most people don't even want to repair things themselves.

Suspecting that advanced technology is just a ploy by greedy companies to make more money is a very simplistic view and can't even be applied to most things.  More advanced technology brings more advanced problems, yes, but it also eradicates old problems. That's why advanced technology sticks and people get used to it. Because it improves the quality of life overall.

Such points of view are easily solved when taking a greater step back and look at the advancements we made and which advancements we wouldn't want to live without anymore. Every generation tried to defy change but they all failed and adapted instead, because innovation always finds a way when it's solid. And the earlier you adapt, the easier it gets for you.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I don`t get what the point of them is. Why would I want to pay a shit load of extra cash just to claim that my appliances are apparently "smart"?

You don't get what the point of them is?

There is a reason why in every scifi movie everything is automated or voice activated. Because it's convenient. People will get used to it and in 20 years people will wonder why there ever was such a thing as power on buttons. Prices aren't an issue here as soon it will become standard anyway.

You're assuming that the voice reconition software will have a 100% flawless understanding of what the person is saying. Under all cases. Like far way from a mic. Or if music/TV/shower is playing over them. How about during a fire/flood. One bad starting location. The system is disabled. You now have no access to functions. So while someone is trying to call 911. It's not working. Instead of grabing their cell phone. How does it handle multiple users. You have a family of 4. 3 People are talking at the same time. You attempt to order a command. Can the system do that without fail? "Hey, Siri" fucks up a fair bit. So i had to disable it. Burglars would have an easier time breaking into a house. My Internet wires are exposed on a telephone pole behind my apartment. Someone could just cut it. Your house is top of the line. But not the area past those walls.

Second: why isn't this software located in the home. Then just updated by the user. Why does it need to be connected to the internet. There's no space/hardware limit like a Smart Phone. If you had a generator, you could still power the system, if it was selfcontained. I'm not againts smart houses. But it needs to be apart of the home. And not rely on the internet. The internet makes a lot of things better and possible. But not everything needs internet access.

When done well those devices become invaluable.

It kinda worries me how lazy we'll get with all these things. Sure, we already got a lot of technology that makes us do less (cars, telephones...), but we can't just keep getting lazier all the time. In a few decades, we may be tied to our seats, without having any control over what happens, and a few companies will have all power (this is already happening now, everything gets bundeled into one device).

Smart homes are still too dumb for me. Can't wait for when they can clean up my room and all while I'm gone, without it ever interfering with me when I'm there. And if I want to check out some stats for something, I'll just say so, and it'll find exactly the info I want and throw up a chart on the wall, providing a source for it and everything. Heck, it might help me by knowing my schedule and advice me to start working with something whenever it can sense that I'm wasting time on useless shit, like right now.

Better start working on some math guys, bye!

Don't do it.