By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What are your thoughts and feelings on smart devices in home (echo, home, etc)?

Are you concerned about privacy issues with these devices?

Yes 33 71.74%

No 10 21.74%

Results 3 6.52%

Total:46

For now I'm fine with my smartphone and my tablet (both get decent daily use) and don't need any "personal assistent" type thing.
In the not so distant future I might buy into solar panel/power storage/ecar solutions that smartly interact with the electricity grid etc.

Around the Network

Technology has made people lazy.

sethnintendo said:
vivster said:

There is no problem in saying that you don't need something in your life but I'm vehemently defending against notions that it's either generally not useful or that people who embrace new technology are somehow stupid. It's grandpa bullshit. Those "concerns" about privacy at this point are just empty fuel against new technology because people don't even know what they're trying to "protect" themselves from.

I'd like to argue sometimes companies go too far though.  They remove all mechanical parts that could be beneficial if the electric component breaks. 

Lets take Tesla's Model 3 for example.  I read that it doesn't even have door handles and that the engine starts through an app on your phone.  Let's say your phone dies or the electric handles stop working.  Well if you had a car that had electric and mechanical then you could just open the car door with a key and using a handle.

Does it really make sense to remove all mechanical aspects when in reality they could be very damn useful if the electrical components stop functioning?  Wouldn't you agree that it would be stupid to be locked out of your car because you only have electic locks and no door handles?

I'd also like to argue about tracking your driving habits and GPS tracking.  Here are some other links that makes me just want to own a "dumb" car.

https://www.wired.com/2011/09/onstar-tracks-you/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/gms-onstar-go-and-ibms-watson-team-up-to-study-your-habits/

I know I'm just a walking ad to pretty much all companies but there is a point where I say enough is enough.  One reason why I told Facebook to fuck off was after they changed their privacy terms and set everyone to default public sharing even if they had private or friends only.  There was outcry and some people left but in the end most people didn't give a shit.  I gave a shit.  Most of these companies can go fuck themselves.  They are getting too intrusive.

I don't think either of us are in a position to judge whether or not some parts should be mechanical or electronic. Taking them away might have some disadvantages but making them integrate better with the rest of the car might outweigh those disadvantages. In the end all those things are consumer products and consumers will decide what's important to them.

And as you have pointed out with your facebook example, most consumers don't give a shit about privacy or consumer protection or consumer choice. That's why consoles are more popular than PCs. Because convenience counts a lot more than choice. And in most cases convenience also counts a lot more than money, so new technologies that enhance convenience will  pull through, no matter the cost.

So far there is still the choice to not adapt and I don't think that will change anytime soon, so I'm not worried right now about where things are headed.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

darknut said:

That is just completely wrong.

Try: Lazy people invented technology. Laziness is the root for all advances in technology since the stone age.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm not concerned with privacy more than I am the effects on the human brain. There's some new research that shows being "jacked in" all the time has a lot of the same negative effects as drug addiction. Human beings tend to blindly thrust themselves into new technology without even thinking about it.

Around the Network
vivster said:
darknut said:

That is just completely wrong.

Try: Lazy people invented technology. Laziness is the root for all advances in technology since the stone age.

Don't confuse efficiency with laziness, or at least not blur that line.

We're all being watched and spurs in 24/7 through our smartphones, laptops, pcs. Governments would be able to tell you where you were and what you even look like because of our smart phones, we share what we're doing ourselves on social media and website forums. I believe EVERYTHING we do on these devices is all accessible if governments wanted to access your database of personal information. I hate the idea of it but modern life has made these things a requirement, life would just be too hard to get by if you didn't own them, it kinda reminds me of Tyler Durdens quote from Fight Club about our items we own end up owning us.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website