By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What are your thoughts and feelings on smart devices in home (echo, home, etc)?

Are you concerned about privacy issues with these devices?

Yes 33 71.74%

No 10 21.74%

Results 3 6.52%

Total:46

The idea of it is cool until you realize you are letting big corps pry in your private life. So I don't have any smart devices and don't want any. I used to be the tech guy since I was a kid up until maybe 2 years ago. Now I just keep up just enough to know how to fix stuff and use it but I don't know what the latest trend is nor care.

Around the Network

Most of these "smart devices" will break sooner (how long does a fridge last vs how long does an internet connected device last). They don't really make your life any easier and they're a massive security risk.

No thanks.

WolfpackN64 said:
Most of these "smart devices" will break sooner (how long does a fridge last vs how long does an internet connected device last). They don't really make your life any easier and they're a massive security risk.

No thanks.

But what about internet connected fridges, those things are the best.

ktay95 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

No thanks.

But what about internet connected fridges, those things are the best.

That's my point: They're expensive, they'll breal faster and they don't do anything more that's really all that usefull considering the price and endurance.

I don't care about the privacy issue all that much as I'm of the opinion everybody gets tracked already regardless. I do hope that we are all just numbers though & aren't identified personally just for the fact that it's pretty creepy. Either way, nothing I can do about it so why bother worrying?

With that said, I'm not a fan of smart devices. I find them to be rather useless in their current form. The only smart devices I like are phones & tablets but they've hit a wall too. They keep getting "upgraded" but for what I use them for, I'd rather save the money and keep using what I already have.

[] [] [] {} [] 

Around the Network

It's just sad that, a few decades ago, 2030 might still have been envisioned as people having vacations on the space or even the Moon, but instead, what do we get?

A fridge which spies that your bacon supplies are getting low, and in turn you are bombarded with ads about processed pork on your smartphone, courtesy of your friends at Google and Amazon. So, you go to the grocery store on your driverless car without a steering wheel, but it has been remotely hacked from North Korea over the last night. The windows and doors shut automatically, a computer voice says "now driving to hell", and you are never seen again.

Not the future we need, but maybe the one we deserve, considering how retarded the average joe probably is.

They're awful. Even if I trusted the privacy policies of the companies, there would still be the fact that they're often unpatched and thus unsecure pieces of garbage. Seriously, their security is often ignored and even if it's initially taken care of, the devices won't be patched once someone figures out how to hack them. Then you get massive botnets of freaking toasters that can take down PSN/XBL/whatever service you like.

Also, even if the devices do get updates, way too often they seem to happen at the worst possible moments. Smart lock? I wouldn't have wanted to leave my house for work anyway. Smart lighting? I wouldn't have wanted to turn on/off the lights anyway. Sleep is for the weak!

I'm OK with the technology itself, it's just that I'm really worried about the devices' information security and the pricacy policies of the companies making them. At the very least I must be able to turn off microphones/cameras for good, with no way to turn them on remotely even if I was suspected of trying to set off a nuke. I value my privacy; it's mine and no one else's.

Yes, I'm deathly afraid that ads will show me what I might actually want instead of random shit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
I don`t get what the point of them is. Why would I want to pay a shit load of extra cash just to claim that my appliances are apparently "smart"?

You don't get what the point of them is?

There is a reason why in every scifi movie everything is automated or voice activated. Because it's convenient. People will get used to it and in 20 years people will wonder why there ever was such a thing as power on buttons. Prices aren't an issue here as soon it will become standard anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Sure, I'll take them, but only if I have the capability to troubleshoot and fix them. The last thing I want from a rerigerator is to have to find out to troubleshoot a malfunctioning microcontroller.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3