By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony cancelled PS4 exclusive Gnomageddon

twintail said:

To play devils advocate, he never really specifies how far up the decision came from. For all we know it was the director on the game but he this user didnt want to said director out. And its hard to tell who to really believe... Sony is known for just letting them teams do what they want and we have gotten different ppl within Sony talking about this freedom over the years, and then we have this unknown employee making it sound like they didnt. So really it could have been both, freedom to do as they please but having a creative team that pushed more for CoD style rather than normal Socom.

And yeah, Yoshida words on the matter are pretty dumb but its PR. Zipper doesnt exist anymore and their other teams are busy making the games they want to make. And Sony is marketting competetive shooters a lot which in turn is freeing them up from having to pursue a similer (albeit not the same) market and push for other genres.

Hopefully something does come of a potential SOCOM 2 remaster. That would at least be something. 

I think Yoshida didn't want to just say that Zipper made a bad game.  That's the simple fact, though, really.  Pretty much everything about the game was mediocre or worse.  There were complaints about the mechanics, the writing, level design, AI ... pretty much everything.  The campaign, especially, received a ton of criticism.

Anyone trying to pin the failure of SOCOM 4 on Sony meddling with the multi-player is simply trying to shift the blame.  It was a poorly made game almost all the way around.

That's probably not the only reason Zipper was closed, though.  They were working on two other games at the time but production was shut down on both.  My guess is that neither game was looking very impressive.

Around the Network

Never even heard of it.

Chazore said:
arcaneguyver said:
Kill Strain had an immemorable title, ugly visuals, and gameplay that seemed to require lots of active players, not at all surprised it died. Wonder how Tomortow Children and Drawn to Death are doing. I do recall Sony putting quite a few videos for Kill Strain on their YT channel...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/6/15928474/the-tomorrow-children-shut-down-date

Apparently a short lived life.

I wasn't even aware it had released yet. Assumed it had ended up in development hell. Lol.

It's very impressive what Blizzard have achieved with Overwatch, not to mention Bluehole's success with PUBG. Getting the playerbase to support an online focused or online only game can be pretty difficult but these games have managed to build huge communities pretty quickly.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Zippers vision for SOCOM 4 was an own world, tactical, jump in campaign just like we saw recently with Ghost Recon, and MP that went back to the SOCOM I/II roots. Instead according to at least 3 devs on GAF, Sony kept forcing them to make it more and more accessible, more and more CoD. The result was a rough dev process and a shitty game...

I have no doubts Sony lets lots of their devs do whatever they want. But they're also a publisher and also a business, it makes no sense to think they never influence what a developer is making for them. They fiddled around too much with Zipper and to quote one of the developers, it "killed the franchise and the studio".

Nothing else for me to really say on the matter :)

Zipper were simply one in a long line of studios that didn't transition well to the 7th generation. Having a 'vision' is one thing. Releasing two terrible games is another. They were one of the least productive, and probably one of the most expensive teams for Sony to bankroll for the 7th generation. Other studios were put under simliar pressure, managed to release quality titles, and shifted units. They were dead weight. 

Also, if you're referring to the letter that made it into the media the anonymous source blamed the studio as much as the publisher for everything turning in to a shit show.

Dallinor said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Zippers vision for SOCOM 4 was an own world, tactical, jump in campaign just like we saw recently with Ghost Recon, and MP that went back to the SOCOM I/II roots. Instead according to at least 3 devs on GAF, Sony kept forcing them to make it more and more accessible, more and more CoD. The result was a rough dev process and a shitty game...

I have no doubts Sony lets lots of their devs do whatever they want. But they're also a publisher and also a business, it makes no sense to think they never influence what a developer is making for them. They fiddled around too much with Zipper and to quote one of the developers, it "killed the franchise and the studio".

Nothing else for me to really say on the matter :)

Zipper were simply one in a long line of studios that didn't transition well to the 7th generation. Having a 'vision' is one thing. Releasing two terrible games is another. They were one of the least productive, and probably one of the most expensive teams for Sony to bankroll for the 7th generation. Other studios were put under simliar pressure, managed to release quality titles, and shifted units. They were dead weight. 

Also, if you're referring to the letter that made it into the media the anonymous source blamed the studio as much as the publisher for everything turning in to a shit show.

Any time a SOCOM thread pops up on GAF there are usually 2-3 ex-Zipper employees posting in it. I don't know anything about any anonymous letter. And I'm not saying Zipper is without blame. Their games were a noticeably lower quality when David Sears left. But Sony really fucked them over on SOCOM 4 :)

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I think Yoshida didn't want to just say that Zipper made a bad game.  That's the simple fact, though, really.  Pretty much everything about the game was mediocre or worse.  There were complaints about the mechanics, the writing, level design, AI ... pretty much everything.  The campaign, especially, received a ton of criticism.

Anyone trying to pin the failure of SOCOM 4 on Sony meddling with the multi-player is simply trying to shift the blame.  It was a poorly made game almost all the way around.

That's probably not the only reason Zipper was closed, though.  They were working on two other games at the time but production was shut down on both.  My guess is that neither game was looking very impressive.

Exactly. If you are to believe what the ex-employee wrote, there were demands from higher up to align the game more in line with successful titles like Uncharted, Killzone, COD and Infamous. If the source is even true, you can even infer at that stage that the very reason the publisher was meddling was because the game simply wasn't shaping up well.

Teeqoz said:

I wasn't even aware it had released yet. Assumed it had ended up in development hell. Lol.

It's very impressive what Blizzard have achieved with Overwatch, not to mention Bluehole's success with PUBG. Getting the playerbase to support an online focused or online only game can be pretty difficult but these games have managed to build huge communities pretty quickly.

I think word of mouth, followed by a need for a gnre or style of game can hekp maintain a user base. Twitch can help with the starting point, but eventually people end up watching other channels for different content. I watched Day 9 play/cast Starcraft matches for eyars, but then I got bored and moved onto other tubers and streamers. I'm back to watching him again, but not nearly as much as I used to 5 years ago.

I eventually found myself grabbing PuB last weekend when I had a LAN party with some mates. They were playing PuB and I was playing my own games, they were stuck with a random 4th player and he ended up team killing them a few times (some people can be assholes, even with team play), so I decided to buy the game and be their 4th player. Not my type of game, certainly wouldn't play it alone unless my mates are playing it. I do the same with games like Heroes of the Storm (though I'm more than happy to play with random human players vs AI, but agains other humans I play with my mates).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

LudicrousSpeed said:
Dallinor said:

Any time a SOCOM thread pops up on GAF there are usually 2-3 ex-Zipper employees posting in it. I don't know anything about any anonymous letter. And I'm not saying Zipper is without blame. Their games were a noticeably lower quality when David Sears left. But Sony really fucked them over on SOCOM 4 :)

The evidence was there though.

This is a studio that had just released a new IP 4 years in development the previous year, that bombed. It was uninspired, generic and lacked polish. Then along comes Socom 4, which hardly surprisingly, suffers the same faults.

Seems like misplaced anger riding on the words of a few dis-gruntled ex devs to me.

Yeah they're not really coming across as angry, but whatever you need to tell yourself. I'm sure you know better than people who actually worked on the game.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Yeah they're not really coming across as angry, but whatever you need to tell yourself. I'm sure you know better than people who actually worked on the game.

I don't need to tell myself anything. That's ridiculous, Ludicrous even.

I prefer searching for the truth in situations and dispelling bullshit in others.

Know better?

Look at the OP:

"former developers accused Sony of failing to adequately promote Kill Strain, which led to a severe drop-off in players after launch"

Don't make me laugh.