By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling changes his Rating on Hellblade

I wouldn't say he isn't a professional reviewer. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time. Yes, even professionals. He raged, he gave a poor score, he changed it the day after. I certainly have no hard feelings against the guy because of that. But whatever.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
mysteryman said:

It's hard to understand how one could consider themselves professional yet act like this in the first place. It brings into question other reviews he may have acted similarly with.

I still enjoy Jim's commentary on the industry and his persona, but I now have zero respect for his review scores.

Because most of the time he is. Seriously, other large review networks like IGN or Gamespot have given petty scores in the past. It's unfortunate, but doesn't call into question his professionality.

A  review of 1/10 absolutely calls into question his professionalism.

Darashiva said:
So, Jim admits to a mistake he made with his original review, and changes his score to reflect the fact that he did make a mistake, and now people get on his case for that? Honestly, if anything that makes me respect him more, since he's actually willing to owe up to his mistakes. I think people still don't get the fact that reviews are subjective views of the person writing them.

He's willing to admit to a mistake that was so obviously incorrect that there was no plausible way for him to maintain integrity had he left it alone. It's purely damage control.

I was really disappointed in Jim for raging a review score. I appreciate what Jim does typically as he's a gaming consumer advocate. But thrashing an entire product with a 1 for a bug, well, maybe not a bug, but a design oversight, blurred the line between him and the average Metacritic user review.

That being said, I would give the game a 7 myself. I understand the message the game is trying to convey, but it is a really unpleasant experience. Maybe I'm not too comfortable with schizophrenia being turned into a romantic hack and slash, though the puzzles make sense, a person in that mental state usually has their own code for understanding the world.

Points for the game not holding your hand and using the voices for tips though.

mysteryman said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Never understand? He was pissed and gave a score based on his emotions of the moment. After consideration and complains he changed his mind. Honestly, it's pretty easy to understand his change.

It's hard to understand how one could consider themselves professional yet act like this in the first place. It brings into question other reviews he may have acted similarly with.

I still enjoy Jim's commentary on the industry and his persona, but I now have zero respect for his review scores.

Who cares about his review SCORE? His REVIEW made it clear he recommended the game, why would you need a score to justify the quality of the review?

Around the Network

What surprises me is that MC also changed his review to 7/10, which makes the MC score 82!

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

I'm baffled at the idea that he "raged" a 1/10, since if you actually listen to him he is disheartened by this promising game being unplayable after a certain point (i.e. a 1/10 by his own standards).

I do agree giving it that score didn't quite tell the full story, and feel he made the right call by changing it.
This was quite unusual, so, while it could have been handled better, the whole debacle was solved in a matter of hours.

It seems ridicolous to use this review, of all things, to try and get back to him for his Zelda review, which you should really get over already.

WolfpackN64 said:
Peh said:
That's why this guy has no credibility for me. He is not a professional reviewer. He is a bad mouthed crying baby.

I guess no professional reviewers exist for you then since most of them have at least once given a petty score.

And thank God for him.

What? That has nothing to do with giving a petty score. It's because he throws an emotional tantrum by finding a rare bug. That's not what I expect from a professional reviewer. He clearly is none. He is not doing his research. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I'm Jim fucking Sterling son.

Seems the 7/10 Zelda score wound hasn't healed yet.

Destructoid is a much better site without Jim doing the reviews. Jim is one of those reviewers that will review a game solely on his own opinion of it without considering what others might think. Yes, Jim we know you don't like turn based combat. No, Jim that doesn't make this game a 6/10. It's only a 6/10 for you. There's a whole group of gamers that love turn based combat, and would find this to be an 8/10.