By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling changes his Rating on Hellblade

Azzanation said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Never understand? He was pissed and gave a score based on his emotions of the moment. After consideration and complains he changed his mind. Honestly, it's pretty easy to understand his change.

I never understand why he gave a 1 to begin with and never understand how he considers this game to be the same as Zelda. That 7/10 still baffles me.

He actually considers it to be better than Zelda. He said he was going to give it an 8 or even 9/10. But thats subjective taste for you.

7/10 is a good score considering his scoring scale (he uses 5 as the actual average point).

Around the Network
brute said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Who cares about his review SCORE? His REVIEW made it clear he recommended the game, why would you need a score to justify the quality of the review?

So now it is okay for scores of reviews to not properly reflect content of said review?

of course not. The only reason I ever disliked his score was because I thought "well hold on. that's retarded. You clearly like the game. just give it a higher score!"

But it's spiralled into something that - sorry for my choice of words - is just retarded. 

Good on him to go back and change his score accordingly. Does make it seem like the guy will act solely on emotion from time to time rather than logic.

I like hearing his opinion on topics in the industry but sometimes it feels like he only does shit like this for attention.

Both the initial score and the retraction are understandable if you care to listen to the story behind it. The problem here is less what he did and more about what point ratings are and why they are a terrible measure for something as complex as video games.

I mean, what initial score would you give a movie where the director comes into the theater, slaps you and then kicks you out before the movie is finished?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

well he is just a human with a lot of weakness and fault , that's why never trust one person on review, try to mix from every other reviewer . It's 2017 already we have internet everywhere.

Xen said:
Darashiva said:

But that's what a review is, a single person's subjective view of a specific game, or at least should be. A review that does not reflect the opinion of its writer seems like a complete waste of time to me.

You are not wrong, but there needs to be an overpowering element of objectivity to a review: otherwise, give a person that only plays FPS a turn-based JRPG, and it might get an unfairly low score, and vice versa... one needs to evaluate objectively, noting their own experiences. While that is not the way JS does it, that IMO is the only fair way.

So you rather the person not review what they personally don't like. Wouldn't that inflate the overall score. If the people who like the product, do the reviews  only. What about the people who *want* to hear his opinion. He's banned from giving that opinion? I don't care about Captain America or Thor. That doesn't mean I can't review their comics or movies. And know they are decent films/comics in their own right. They are just characters I don't have interest in. It doesn't mean I mark them as shit.

archer9234 said:
Xen said:

You are not wrong, but there needs to be an overpowering element of objectivity to a review: otherwise, give a person that only plays FPS a turn-based JRPG, and it might get an unfairly low score, and vice versa... one needs to evaluate objectively, noting their own experiences. While that is not the way JS does it, that IMO is the only fair way.

So you rather the person not review what they personally don't like. Wouldn't that inflate the overall score. If the people who like the product, do the reviews  only. What about the people who *want* to hear his opinion. He's banned from giving that opinion? I don't care about Captain America or Thor. That doesn't mean I can't review their comics or movies. And know they are decent films/comics in their own right. They are just characters I don't have interest in. It doesn't mean I mark them as shit.

Precisely correct.

I would not give a Gal*Gun review to anyone unfamiliar with anime tropes.

I would not give Lost Odyssey to anyone who dislikes turn based gameplay.

Background IS necessary when doing many reviews in order to get a fair evaluation. It's why I trust sites like RPGamer over Gamestop for RPG reviews. You can sense and see the passion from the people doing the work there. Doesn't stop them from being objective, doesn't make them inflate scores.

After playing the game and passing the part that made him give the game 1/10, I don't think that glitch he found actually existed. He just didn't find the torch.

There's been a couple of times where I thought the game was broken only to find that I just didn't see the solution of the puzzle. That's from watching this video. I need to look at the actual written review.

Who is Jim Sterling ?......