By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE #310 reviews scores, Splatoon 2, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and more.

Hellblade seems to be getting anywhere from 7 to 10 from most reviewers. Edge is way below the curve with it's 4/10 score. That's a score reserved for the likes of Sonic 06, or No Man's Sky.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Hellblade seems to be getting anywhere from 7 to 10 from most reviewers. Edge is way below the curve with it's 4/10 score. That's a score reserved for the likes of Sonic 06, or No Man's Sky.

Edge is scaled differently compared to other reviewers, 5/10 from them is average which most other outlets have as 7, Sonic 06 I think got a 2/10 from Edge.

Wyrdness said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Edge is scaled differently compared to other reviewers, 5/10 from them is average which most other outlets have as 7, Sonic 06 I think got a 2/10 from Edge.

That's part of why I don't like them though. They insist that 5/10 is the average when the rest of the industry has long accepted that it is 7/10. Their own reviews don't even agree with that. According to metacritic the average score issued by Edge is 6.5/10. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Wyrdness said:

That's part of why I don't like them though. They insist that 5/10 is the average when the rest of the industry has long accepted that it is 7/10. Their own reviews don't even agree with that. According to metacritic the average score issued by Edge is 6.5/10. 

They're right though as their scaling makes sense and the industry's doesn't, 5 is bang in the middle of the scale and easy to navigate and explain while 7 doesn't make sense at all for being average as below 6/10 you have five numbers on the scale for bad. Edge is at least coherent.

1- Avoid
2- Poor
3- Mediocre
4- Below Average
5- Average
6- Above Average
7- Decent
8- Good
9- Exceptional
10- Ground Breaking

Wyrdness said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

They're right though as their scaling makes sense and the industry's doesn't, 5 is bang in the middle of the scale and easy to navigate and explain while 7 doesn't make sense at all for being average as below 6/10 you have five numbers on the scale for bad. Edge is at least coherent.

1- Avoid
2- Poor
3- Mediocre
4- Below Average
5- Average
6- Above Average
7- Decent
8- Good
9- Exceptional
10- Ground Breaking

Average doesn't mean the exact middle of a set of numbers. Average is the result of adding all the number's up and then dividing the sum by the total numbers given. The average grade in a classroom isn't 50/100. The average grade in a classroom is whatever the average grade of all the students put together is.

Also Average and Decent means the same thing. Listing 5 as Average, and then 7 as Decent in a scoring scale is like listing 9 as spectacular, and 7 as awesome. Mediocre also means average. Their descriptions just don't make sense. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

No Man's Sky is easily an 8, probably more a 9 at the recent price after the latest update. A must buy in my book. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Wyrdness said:

1- Avoid
2- Poor
3- Mediocre
4- Below Average
5- Average
6- Above Average
7- Decent
8- Good
9- Exceptional
10- Ground Breaking

Average doesn't mean the exact middle of a set of numbers. Average is the result of adding all the number's up and then dividing the sum by the total numbers given. The average grade in a classroom isn't 50/100. The average grade in a classroom is whatever the average grade of all the students put together is.

Also Average and Decent means the same thing. Listing 5 as Average, and then 7 as Decent in a scoring scale is like listing 9 as spectacular, and 7 as awesome. Mediocre also means average. Their descriptions just don't make sense. 

Average doesn't really mean decent, average is something that isn't objectively bad but still passable while decent by definition is an okish game that can be enjoyable and respectable. Mediocre is dependent on the definition you use as it also means of not good quality.

Heavenly_King said:
think-man said:
Didn't expect Senua to score so low.

I have seen a lot of videos of the game, and I think it deserves that score.

My feelings exactly. It looks like a (potentially) great story, clad in chore, top to bottom.

spurgeonryan said:
They gave another Nintendo game a high score?

Surprised Nintendo did not push pikmin harder.

It seems like Ever Oasis and Hey Pikmin got buried by the bigger releases. 

twintail said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Sorry what's the connection between their 5 and the 6.5 scores?

On their site they say that 5 means average. But if you take all of their review scores, add them up, and divide them by the number of reviews you get 6.5. For example let's say I am a game reviewer. I give three different games three different scores. The first game is given a 10, the second game is given a 7, and the third game is given a 4. The average review score handed out by me in this situation would be a 7, since (4 + 7 + 10)/3 = 7. But when people complain about the extremely low score of 4, I say that 5 is the "average". But if 5 is truly the average then getting a 10 should be that much harder.