By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE #310 reviews scores, Splatoon 2, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and more.

Happy that Pyre seems to be reviewing well. Absolutely love Supergiantgames. I keep hoping that they will port some of their games to a nintendo system, preferrably the Switch (for portability) but they seem to be Sony console exclusive.

Also, Edge has the most gogeous covers. I love that they don't clutter them with 50 headlines and gameplayshots like a lot of other gaming/pc magazines do.

Around the Network

A 4 for Hellblade...How edgy!

I've always thought EDGE is rating games lower than others hipster style.

I'd give it a 9 personally. One of the most intense and memorable gaming experiences I had in recent years.

God... gamer credibility really went down after Splatoon 2. It's the kind of sequel Infinity Ward would make, and its review scores should reflect that

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
God... gamer credibility really went down after Splatoon 2. It's the kind of sequel Infinity Ward would make, and its review scores should reflect that

Modern Warfare 2, and 3 got good review scores though. So did World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II. Splatoon has a longer single player campaign than the old CoD games. It also has free DLC releasing all the time. CoD charged for mappacks. I just don't get it. If the Modern Warfare franchise can get five sequels before being panned by critics, then it stands to reason that Splatoon can get one sequel without being panned. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Modern Warfare 2, and 3 got good review scores though. So did World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II. Splatoon has a longer single player campaign than the old CoD games. It also has free DLC releasing all the time. CoD charged for mappacks. I just don't get it. If the Modern Warfare franchise can get five sequels before being panned by critics, then it stands to reason that Splatoon can get one sequel without being panned. 

.... which is why, before I even published my comment, I wrote "gamer credibility" and not "reviewer credibility".  It's user score should be much lower. 

Besides, don't you think that's kind of a ... silly argument anyways? Nowadays, gamers as a whole have much bigger standards. People think games like Fallout 4 get critically panned by Fallout fans ... for a lot of the same things no one addressed with 3 or Oblivion or Skyrim. People criticize COD for the stuff that most people didn't care about in MW3. Gamers are starting to get tired of shit, and as a result they have higher standards. I don't see why Splatoon should be given a pass, because it's the first sequel. That just sets a precedence of conformity until later on. Besides, Splatoon's "free DLC", at least so far, is almost 100% likely to be cut content. 

Good job comparing Splatoon to the lowest of lows. Kind of speaks for itself when you have to use COD to defend a game. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

.... which is why, before I even published my comment, I wrote "gamer credibility" and not "reviewer credibility".  It's user score should be much lower. 

Besides, don't you think that's kind of a ... silly argument anyways? Nowadays, gamers as a whole have much bigger standards. People think games like Fallout 4 get critically panned by Fallout fans ... for a lot of the same things no one addressed with 3 or Oblivion or Skyrim. People criticize COD for the stuff that most people didn't care about in MW3. Gamers are starting to get tired of shit, and as a result they have higher standards. I don't see why Splatoon should be given a pass, because it's the first sequel. That just sets a precedence of conformity until later on. Besides, Splatoon's "free DLC", at least so far, is almost 100% likely to be cut content. 

Good job comparing Splatoon to the lowest of lows. Kind of speaks for itself when you have to use COD to defend a game. 

Ok, so you mean user review scores should reflect that? Nobody cares about user review scores, because you either get tens or zeroes from the majority of the gaming community. Only a small percentage, of users that post reviews, are willing to give a game a sane review score. Anybody giving Fallout 4 less than a 7/10 in a user review is a troll or an irrational, immature upset fan. Gamer's don't have higher standards. The ones that are irrationally picky have just gotten louder over the years. New maps aren't cut content. They are new maps. Splatoon is one of those games that is a project in the works. You might as well critisize League of Legends for not releasing every single champion on day one. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Ok, so you mean user review scores should reflect that? Nobody cares about user review scores, because you either get tens or zeroes from the majority of the gaming community. Only a small percentage is willing to give a game a sane review score. Anybody giving Fallout 4 less than a 7/10 in a user review is a troll or an irrational, immature upset fan. Gamer's don't have higher standards. The ones that are irrationally picky have just gotten louder over the years. New maps aren't cut content. They are new maps. Splatoon is one of those games that is a project in the works. You might as well critisize League of Legends for not releasing every single champion on day one. 

I don't care about review scores as much as reactions. When people talk about repetitive video games or games that failed as sequels you hear about it all the time, even if the review scores aren't that harsh. I don't agree that it's a very small minority. It might be a minority but it's definitely increasing. In general it feels like the standard of gamers are getting higher, because even when they buy shit like Watch Dogs or COD or Ghost Recon, you at least hear a healthy percentage of the community complaining and giving criticism. You hear none of that for Splatoon, which ultimately has to do more with it's platform having very little games more so than the games quality. If someone criticized Splatoon 2 heavily and then gave the game an 8, I wouldn't care. I just want to see more fair criticism, because right now most triple A games are being obliterated(note : a game getting a 70 is way different from a film getting a 70, game scores are usually always absurdly high). Besides, how does "review scores are always high!" play into defending Splatoon at all? It doesn't, it is still mediocre as a sequel. It's a fun game, but a mediocre sequel. 

Even if we were to use the user review scores as a genuine point ... Fallout 4 got a 5.5 on PC and a 6.6 on PS4,  Infinite Warfare got a 3.6, etc.

The "free updates" in Splatoon 2 have mostly been weapons, which are so obviously just cut. Like, you'd have to be blind to not think they're cut. The new maps? ... hasn't there just been one that was exclusive to a splatfest? Oh damn such nice fresh content!

" You might as well critisize League of Legends for not releasing every single champion on day one. "

Wow this is ... lol xD 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Ok, so you mean user review scores should reflect that? Nobody cares about user review scores, because you either get tens or zeroes from the majority of the gaming community. Only a small percentage is willing to give a game a sane review score. Anybody giving Fallout 4 less than a 7/10 in a user review is a troll or an irrational, immature upset fan. Gamer's don't have higher standards. The ones that are irrationally picky have just gotten louder over the years. New maps aren't cut content. They are new maps. Splatoon is one of those games that is a project in the works. You might as well critisize League of Legends for not releasing every single champion on day one. 

I don't care about review scores as much as reactions. When people talk about repetitive video games or games that failed as sequels you hear about it all the time, even if the review scores aren't that harsh. I don't agree that it's a very small minority. It might be a minority but it's definitely increasing. In general it feels like the standard of gamers are getting higher, because even when they buy shit like Watch Dogs or COD or Ghost Recon, you at least hear a healthy percentage of the community complaining and giving criticism. You hear none of that for Splatoon, which ultimately has to do more with it's platform having very little games more so than the games quality. If someone criticized Splatoon 2 heavily and then gave the game an 8, I wouldn't care. I just want to see more fair criticism, because right now most triple A games are being obliterated(note : a game getting a 70 is way different from a film getting a 70, game scores are usually always absurdly high). Besides, how does "review scores are always high!" play into defending Splatoon at all? It doesn't, it is still mediocre as a sequel. It's a fun game, but a mediocre sequel. 

Even if we were to use the user review scores as a genuine point ... Fallout 4 got a 5.5 on PC and a 6.6 on PS4,  Infinite Warfare got a 3.6, etc.

The "free updates" in Splatoon 2 have mostly been weapons, which are so obviously just cut. Like, you'd have to be blind to not think they're cut. The new maps? ... hasn't there just been one that was exclusive to a splatfest? Oh damn such nice fresh content!

" You might as well critisize League of Legends for not releasing every single champion on day one. "

Wow this is ... lol xD 

This needs it's own thread. Making it now. 

oh fuck, what have i started. .....

That is far to harsh in Hellblade. We're talking a small studio thinking big and pulling it off. It has created a game with a unique experience and unique story. It's also tackling a sensitive subject matter in Psychosis mental health. I really don't think Edge have looked deep enough into his game.

Also when you look at the review scores for hellblade it shows how unprofessional the game reviewers are. Surly if you're a "professional" game reviewer then all results should be consistent with each other, at the end of the day you're professional so should be able to pick out what's a good game and a bad game. It shows that personal opinion and taste take over too much with game reviewers, making them hard to be trustworthy. it doesn't make sense that one Pro reviewer can say it's a 9.5 out of 10 and then another pro reviewer saying it's a 4 out of 10.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website