By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE #310 reviews scores, Splatoon 2, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and more.

twintail said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

On their site they say that 5 means average. But if you take all of their review scores, add them up, and divide them by the number of reviews you get 6.5. For example let's say I am a game reviewer. I give three different games three different scores. The first game is given a 10, the second game is given a 7, and the third game is given a 4. The average review score handed out by me in this situation would be a 7, since (4 + 7 + 10)/3 = 7. But when people complain about the extremely low score of 4, I say that 5 is the "average". But if 5 is truly the average then getting a 10 should be that much harder. 

I see what you are saying but

5 meaning an average game is a subjective quality they have added to that score. 6.5 being the average among their reviews is an objective indicator of all the scores they have given. They arent the same thing nor do they refer to the same thing.

And just cause 5 might be their average doesnt really negate that they can give a 10 to a game.

That's a definition of the word that came about via ignorance. The mathematical average usually lines up with what is typical of a group. So people began using the word average as a synonym for typical. Most dictionaries have followed suit, and added that as a possible meaning of the word. But that's silly. If people start refering to an apple as an orange for long enough, does that make an apple an orange? 

Is a kleenex any tissue, or is it a specific brand of tissue? Is a crayola the same thing as a crayon, or does it refer to a brand of crayons? 

Around the Network
twintail said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That's a definition of the word that came about via ignorance. The mathematical average usually lines up with what is typical of a group. So people began using the word average as a synonym for typical. Most dictionaries have followed suit, and added that as a possible meaning of the word. But that's silly. If people start refering to an apple as an orange for long enough, does that make an apple an orange? 

Is a kleenex any tissue, or is it a specific brand of tissue? Is a crayola the same thing as a crayon, or does it refer to a brand of crayons? 

im sorry dude, but its like you have zero understanding of how languages actually work, and change over time. 

average can mean typical, or even not that good. These are a couple of the meanings attributed to the word. Saying this isnt true, or even that its silly for the word to mean that ,is just ignorant. 

Thats just a random example, but its possible I suppose. But language evolving is not that cut and dry.

As for the kleenex and crayola thing, yeah this is an actual phenomena. Do you walk around calling jet skis 'small water vehicles`, is ping pong now an incorrect name for the sport, should we stop saying jacuzzi and instead say whirlpool bath?

How is it ignorant? 

There is no word to refer to Jet Ski, other than Jet Ski. Table Tennis, and Hot Tub are perfectly acceptable words.