By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just how much is PS4 beating Xbox One in sales this year?

LudicrousSpeed said:
And yet I just listed for you three poorly selling games on both consoles (Evolve and BB anyway) that are still very easy to find games in on both platforms. I own them both on PS4, Xbone, and PC. Are you trying to say a lower selling game is fine but larger selling games have low communities? Just trying to follow this lulz logic.

What MP games do you play on Xbone?

Your anecdotes are neither amusing nor mean anything. MS is begging for crossplay for a reason and it's not because they love gamers.

Around the Network

I wonder why the Rocket League devs even support the Xbone version any more at all. According to you it should be a ghost town. The only game MS has commented on regarding Sony and crossplay is Minecraft and that's because uh duh... it's a Microsoft game :)

You seem confused as to what anecdotes are, by the way. Hope that helps.

COKTOE said:
Azzanation said:

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

There are a few points of contention among your comments to be sure. This one, it makes me have to massage my temples to relieve stress. Do you believe that? That those 2 systems sold well due to the fact they could play pirated games? Because that's what you said, and it's what I just repeated. You know that the Dreamcast had a prolific pirate scene, right? So did the original Xbox. I'll leave it at that and wish you a happy weekend.

One just needs to look at the effect of FFVII on the PS1's sales and Azzanation's piracy argument instantly falls flat. Not to mention, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and the best piece of evidence he provided is an anecdote without proving that his anecdote is representative of the entire video game market.

COKTOE said:
Azzanation said:

PS4 is more powerful than than the X1 and for the first 2 years the PS4 did not have a library advantage. Price and marketing is what sells consoles. You could have the worst line up in games and a console can still sell well depending on the marketing. 

Also PS1 and PS2 sold extremely well due to the fact they could play pirated games which obviously helped alot compared to the more expensive software selling N64. Free games is a very attractive thing for just about everybody.

There are a few points of contention among your comments to be sure. This one, it makes me have to massage my temples to relieve stress. Do you believe that? That those 2 systems sold well due to the fact they could play pirated games? Because that's what you said, and it's what I just repeated. You know that the Dreamcast had a prolific pirate scene, right? So did the original Xbox. I'll leave it at that and wish you a happy weekend.

On emerging markets, he's right. Talking from first hand experience. I didn't know a single person that didn't have a pirated PS1 or PS2 in Venezuela. It's not a huge number by any means (I would say something like 10% of total sales? Probably less), but he isn't completely wrong.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

NawaiNey said:
Azzanation said:

Thats exactly what i said. It plays a big part in system sales. Yes Dreamcast and Xbox were also piratable systems however not in the extreme of the PS1 and PS2. Where i am from, seeing a brought PS1 game is very rare, almost no one i knew brought there games and its a major reason why they brought a PS1 over a N64. I own a PS1 due to it being a chipped console aswell as all my friends and there families. At the time no body knew what a Playstation was instead of the fact you can get it chipped and get burnt games for it for free. 

Dont rubbed those temples too hard.

Enjoy your weekend.

Whereever you're from is likely a very tiny market that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. PS1/PS2 had the highest attach ratios of all time (though PS1 has now been surpassed by PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, and sits at number 5). That doesn't happen when piracy is rampant on a system, look at PSP for that, that's a system that sold a lot because you could pirate games on it which led to low attach rate and therefore publishers abondoning it because their games weren't selling. PS1/PS2 games sold better than anyone had seen games sell on a console, piracy being a problem on them makes as much sense as MS releasing a console a week after a Playstation and expecting to compete.lol

I am not saying piracy makes up for all of PS1 and PS2 sales however it was a boost to them. Many gamers brought them off the fact you can burn your games. Maybe where i am from it doesnt make up the market however guess what everyone got for there Xmas and Bday presents, Chipped PS1s. N64 sold less than half the PS1 yet N64 games had a high attach ratio also and there 1st party games matched and sold more than PS1 games. I have a brought version of FF7 after i got it free and it crashed. Upsetting as it was i went out and got a real copy. Take the Chipped PS1s away from the market and you will see a dent in the hardware sales. PS1 was also cluttered with shovelware and heaps more games so of course its going to sell more software than a console with less than half the install base and with alot less games to choose from. Also PS1 games were alot cheaper to buy. There are alot of aspects to this. I was finding PS1 games for $1 to $5 in Store bins. They were everywhere.

Whats crazy on sales figures is its not an even competition. Its just laughable how serious some people take them as if it means better or a championship trophy. I dont mind a good debate however its not a life and death situation here haha. Different tastes for different gamers.   

Around the Network

tag

Azzanation said:
NawaiNey said:

Whereever you're from is likely a very tiny market that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. PS1/PS2 had the highest attach ratios of all time (though PS1 has now been surpassed by PS3, 360, Wii, PS2, and sits at number 5). That doesn't happen when piracy is rampant on a system, look at PSP for that, that's a system that sold a lot because you could pirate games on it which led to low attach rate and therefore publishers abondoning it because their games weren't selling. PS1/PS2 games sold better than anyone had seen games sell on a console, piracy being a problem on them makes as much sense as MS releasing a console a week after a Playstation and expecting to compete.lol

I am not saying piracy makes up for all of PS1 and PS2 sales however it was a boost to them. Many gamers brought them off the fact you can burn your games. Maybe where i am from it doesnt make up the market however guess what everyone got for there Xmas and Bday presents, Chipped PS1s. N64 sold less than half the PS1 yet N64 games had a high attach ratio also and there 1st party games matched and sold more than PS1 games. I have a brought version of FF7 after i got it free and it crashed. Upsetting as it was i went out and got a real copy. Take the Chipped PS1s away from the market and you will see a dent in the hardware sales. PS1 was also cluttered with shovelware and heaps more games so of course its going to sell more software than a console with less than half the install base and with alot less games to choose from. Also PS1 games were alot cheaper to buy. There are alot of aspects to this. I was finding PS1 games for $1 to $5 in Store bins. They were everywhere.

Whats crazy on sales figures is its not an even competition. Its just laughable how serious some people take them as if it means better or a championship trophy. I dont mind a good debate however its not a life and death situation here haha. Different tastes for different gamers.   

Dude you do realize we're on the internet and we can look this shit up right? N64's attach rate was 6.84. PS1's was the highest any console had ever had back then at an 9.23. You and your peers in the back waters of where ever you're from might've gotten a chipped system, but you all don't really matter in the overall picture. You guys are like XB1, irrelavant. 

NawaiNey said:
Minecraft and Rocket league are exemplary successes. Usually on the average game unless it's one of the top selling shooters it's hard to find a game on XB1, that's why MS is always begging Sony to do cross play with them. There's a new article about it almost weekly where one of MS execs can be seen taking part in the act.

Can you please name some games where you can't find the game on XB1. I can only remember one game where really you can't find an opponent but the same goes for this game on PS4. 

Azzanation said:
Turkish said:

Helll naw. PS4 is a straight up beast. How else would you describe selling +35 million more than your closest competition: "ps4 is just selling more but it's a close race" lmao that's being disingenuous. It's utter domination of biblical proportions, not since the PS2 has a console obliterated the competition this much, not even the Wii. History is unfolding before our eyes mang, why you gotta be so negative.  Destruction, demolition, annihilation, they all mean the same thing. Go ahead with the euphemisms so long as you don't downplay the difference in sales. MS is terrified, petrified, horrified! Thats why they stopped reporting sales numbers, and bringing their games to PC because of the limited install base on their boxes. But Phil Spencer is chilling and happy, he doesn't care about selling more right :)

Those poor Xbox fans, what ever shall they do. Good games dont exist on platforms that dont sell the best. MS should just shut up shop and we should just forget games like Forza Horizon and Halo Franchise exist. 

Infact since Switch wont outsell the PS4 either we might as well throw Zelda in the bin.

That dominance man.. its too much.

What ever shall a multi billion dollar buisness do now.. I hope Phil will be ok.

I know you're trying to be sarcastic but yeah, it's obvious they are in panic mode atm. Microsoft was always in it for the win...until...yeah...until they started to state that sales don't matter.

NawaiNey said:
Minecraft and Rocket league are exemplary successes. Usually on the average game unless it's one of the top selling shooters it's hard to find a game on XB1, that's why MS is always begging Sony to do cross play with them. There's a new article about it almost weekly where one of MS execs can be seen taking part in the act.

It's quite obvious why they want cross-play tbh. As it is now 2/3 or more of all players in these games are on the competing platform...which makes it a possible deciding factor for people deciding for one platform. They'd like to take that factor away but Sony doesn't let them.