By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last Guardian vs The Last of Us

The last of us, no contest.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

So the game that defined naughty dog as Sony is best studio to date against a game that was pretty much broken on PS4 and only able to maintain a decent framerate on PS4 pro on 1080p, whole lpoking decent for a PS4 gam and best. Yeah I will stick with the last of us. Trico was a great creation nonetheless but the whole last guardian felt a bit that even a timeless game can show it's age right after it is released. The last of us gave us a cinematic horror tale with more plot than most movies and fantastic characters with great interaction between Ellie and Joe. Side characters where also pretty interesting and it had a way better atmosphere than TLG. Sure the constant water puzzles with the raft gets old, but it her wise I think it's still atmosphere masterpiece and it's meta and awards show it. So TLOU and it's not even remotely close for me.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

John2290 said:
LOL. They aren't in the same league. Is this just because of the "last" in the title?

Lol no. I explained at the start of the thread that I am only making the comparison because I just played and finished both of them this past two weeks. I wanted to put them side by side to see which one I liked more and to me they were both enjoyable in their own respects. The "last" part of the name was just a coincidence lol. 

Qwark said:
So the game that defined naughty dog as Sony is best studio to date against a game that was pretty much broken on PS4 and only able to maintain a decent framerate on PS4 pro on 1080p, whole lpoking decent for a PS4 gam and best. Yeah I will stick with the last of us. Trico was a great creation nonetheless but the whole last guardian felt a bit that even a timeless game can show it's age right after it is released. The last of us gave us a cinematic horror tale with more plot than most movies and fantastic characters with great interaction between Ellie and Joe. Side characters where also pretty interesting and it had a way better atmosphere than TLG. Sure the constant water puzzles with the raft gets old, but it her wise I think it's still atmosphere masterpiece and it's meta and awards show it. So TLOU and it's not even remotely close for me.

I respect your choice and I would think The Last of Us would get most people's choice as well. I just wonder what it would be if The Last Guardian wasn't as technically broken as it was because it sure makes up for it in other places. Maybe I had a better experience because I do have a pro and I hear there was some updates that did some fixing. I still encountered some frame drops, but it didn't hurt my experience as much to be honest. 

Comparing apples with oranges. Different games, both offer unique experiences.

Around the Network
vivster said:
I think they're quite similar. Both have nice worlds and interesting characters you want to explore and both interrupt that with shitty gameplay.

Both games would've been better in adventure style rather than action.

How does The Last Of Us have shitty gameplay? It has moments of questionable pcing, but the gameplay is well designed mostly.

Wolverine_the_5th said:
Qwark said:

I respect your choice and I would think The Last of Us would get most people's choice as well. I just wonder what it would be if The Last Guardian wasn't as technically broken as it was because it sure makes up for it in other places. Maybe I had a better experience because I do have a pro and I hear there was some updates that did some fixing. I still encountered some frame drops, but it didn't hurt my experience as much to be honest. 

I also have a pro and don't get me wrong it isn't a bad game. I would still rate it an 8/10, but the last of us is a 9.5/10 game for me. The last guardian and especially Trico and the relationship between Trico and the protagonist is very well executed and TLG is definitely more innovative than TLOU. But I think TLOU is pretty much the best in its genre and by that it wins this battle. Although I can imagine people preferring something new instead of something sublimely executed.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Wolverine_the_5th said:

OK, I know this may be an unfair comparison given one of them was on the ps3 while the other one was ps4, but I won't be talking about graphics, frame rate, etc. I am only focusing on what I believe is the meat and bones of a video game; the game play and story and a few extra things. The reason why I chose these two games is because I just got both a few weeks back.  I never ended up playing them when they came out for whatever reason. 

The Last Guardian:

OK, I'm just going to say it. I had no interest in this game whatsoever to be honest. I have never played Ico and/or Shadow of the Colossus so I had no idea what I was in for and I had no bias going into this game. The main reason why I got it was simply because I have some time to kill before school starts and decided to get it, alongside The Last of Us.

Wow, this game really surprised to be honest. The game play in this game to me is superb. I loved almost every second of it. The only reason I say almost every second is because I did get annoyed. sometimes when Trico just did whatever the hell he wanted to, but I understand the nature behind his actions so I didn't mind it as much. Other than that, I loved all the elements behind it. I loved that every section was basically a puzzle to move on to the next and none of them were identical. I'm not going to lie. Some of the were very frustrating. Hell, some of them took me a long time to figure out what to do next. But when I did I actually felt a sense of accomplishment. The puzzles to me were genius. It wasn't your typical move a box to climb, etc type of puzzles. It was genuinely smart puzzles, but at the same time not so hard that they made you just quit at how dumb you are. Looking at you Professor Layton. One example of this and one of my favorites was when you had to climb a ledge while on the water, but there wasn't a ladder to help so you have to wait for Trico to jump in to raise the water level. All in all, as far as game play is concerned. This game was awesome. 

As far as the story of this game is concerned. I enjoyed it. It was a very simple story of trying to escape the ruins of the Trico Valley. They did a really good job for basically only using two characters. I just wish he would've kept the Trico lol. I felt very close. To that creature and when the kid just tells it to go away and Trico sees it. It was very crushing. 

This game was awesome and very underrated to be honest. It is honestly one of my favorite games on my ps4 now. 

The Last of Us:

As far as this game is concerned. I had already played previous naughty dog games. Those games being Jak and Daxter 2, I believe, and the first three Uncharted games. I liked the original one. I liked the second one better, but to be honest I got really bored with the third one. I couldn't really get past the 6th chapter because I found it boring and I never really played it again. That's the reason I haven't played the 4th one and why it took me so long to try this one. 

The game play was good, but it was exactly what I expected. It wasn't boring by any means. I'm glad it didn't have a ton of annoying climbing like the Uncharted games. It actually sort of reminded me a bit of mgsv which I had just recently played a few months ago. I actually enjoyed it for the most part. There wasn't really any dull moments in the game to be honest as far as gameplay is concerned. I enjoyed the sneaking parts and the shooting parts as well. Don't really know what else much to say here. The crafting system was good and it wasn't overdone like some games. Overall enjoyed the gameplay of this one. I feel like The Last Guardian takes the cake on this aspect for me though. 

Now, on to the story. The story to me was good, but to be honest, not great. Maybe it is the fact that there is so many things about zombies out there that I didn't particularly feel too invested in the story itself. I felt like it actually dragged on for a bit too long. The whole thing with the fireflies always having moved on to the next city before you ever got there did kind of bugging me. It just felt like, how many times are they gonna keep moving? It was good, but jot great Imo. I would've liked to see them doing other angles or aspects of it. I'm sure we will get a better story for the next game because they won't be so restricted to just getting the girl from point A to point B the whole time. 

A few other things about these games. I really enjoyed the interactions between the main characters in both games. I didn't really feel like either one was above the other to be honest. I loved trico because I like animals, and I liked ellie because she didn't really act like your typical annoying teen, such as Coral from the walking dead. Also, I'm actually glad Riley from the dlc died. She's the Coral of this game. As far as the settings go. I liked The Last of Us more because it was more vibrant and colorful where as The Last Guard was just a bit too much grey, but it was pretty majestic none the less. 

This may seem like a cop out, but I can't really give the edge to either to be honest. On the one hand I enjoyed The Last Guardian more as a game, but I enjoyed seeing how things played out more in the The Last of Us story, even with the dragging. All I can really say is that I think more people should play The Last Guardian and The Last of Us is a bit overrated. 

What are your thoughts? On these games themselves, on anything I wrote, or just on the games comparison to each other. 

Two of my favorite games of all time.

But I give it to TLOU

LethalP said:
vivster said:
I think they're quite similar. Both have nice worlds and interesting characters you want to explore and both interrupt that with shitty gameplay.

Both games would've been better in adventure style rather than action.

How does The Last Of Us have shitty gameplay? It has moments of questionable pcing, but the gameplay is well designed mostly.

Vivster...Don't do drugs...

They're both masterpieces and among my favorite games, but The Last Guardian's ending made me cry when i played it and still does whenever i watch the ending on youtube, its a very special game and anyone who finishes it would probably say the same