By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My dog killed a neighbors cat! Not sure what to do

A lot of people here seem to give animals more rights than the law actually does here. I mean going by the law I can run down any dog or cat I see come my way and face no legal charges. (Not that I would I love animals and would never do such a thing but still you get the idea). Although technically in a few situations you shouldn't stop if you see a cat or dog on the road as it could cause a traffic accident.

Of course it really, really, really sucks when your pets die I've experienced it first hand, but if your such an animal rights activist why should your only solution be to kill it because it killed this? People are trying they say how valuable this animals life is yet they want another animals life gone. The dog can't help it, just like a cat can't help it, animals kill. If someone killed a human I wouldn't even be calling the death penalty unless it was such an extreme situation.

The dog didn't attack any human here, and it looks like it could of had quite the haul if it did want to from all the people seeing what's what. Dogs are known to be hostile towards cats, and just because it killed cat does not mean it's gonna hunt down any kid it sees on the street.

While charges of sort will faced here (nothing major), as long as it doesn't happen again, I don't think they're going to kill the dog over it.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Some of the responses in this thread, on both sides of the spectrum, make me feel like mankind is hopeless. We have people suggesting that the cat's life is as valuable as a person's (it's not) and suggesting that dog that will kill a cat will also kill a toddler or infant (that is extremely unlikely given that the dog has never shown any proclivity towards violence against people). We have people suggesting that the OP deserves jail time or to be punched in the face (all he did wrong was forget to check his gate after a friend left who didn't know to lock the gate, something that could have happened to anyone). We have people suggesting that the dog did nothing wrong and even praising the dog for killing the cat. We have people insulting the intelligence of both cat and dog owners. 

Mankind is so screwed.

Too be fair, people in the united states elected Donald Trump as president....I thought it was kinda obvious that Mankind is screwed.

Something...Something...Games...Something

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

No no you said you can't value one species over the other. 

He said it would be more serious if it attacked another dog unprovoked because that would mean it is a violent dog and should be put down.

A cat that kills a bird is completely different to a cat that kills another cat. How is that difficult to understand?

https://youtu.be/SFILcsWhEm8

Don't try to change the subject, your original reply was a misunderstanding of what I meant and now you're trying to move the goal posts.

A cat that kills a bird is completely different to a cat that kills another cat. How is that difficult to understand? "

My original reply :

"In all seriousness Dogs do Dog things and I don't think the Dog should necessarily be put down for this, but your attitude is ridiculous"

"I'm sure your dog doesn't deserves it" 

The one part of my original post you actually decided to read was the part where I was telling the owner that he should be more respectful for the loss of a cat. I never said the dog should be put down because it's not like a dog to kill a cat, I literally said the opposite of that. I was saying the owner can't use the logic of a dog to completely excuse the feelings of the owner, and needs to respect the cat more, which he pretty much acted like was no big deal that it died.

I'm not changing the subject. I bolded that part of your message as that's what I'm applying to. The species does matter. 

I don't think he was being disrespectful when he said that he obviously knows it's sad and said he feels bad for the owner and wouldn't mind paying for any damages, or new cat etc. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

If we are talking about a species hierarchy, I'd rank the species that tortures other species, puts other species in zoos, causes hundreds if not thousands of other species to go extinct as well as tortures/enslaves their own species much lower than those that don't.

Now things change if we are talking about a specific human, or dog, or whatever, but in general that is how I see it.

My cat was killed by a car a few years ago, but the driver wasn't put down. He just said sorry, and that was it. I don't think he needed to be punished for it.

I just don't get why people would want the dog to be killed. Don't you guys have any empathy? If you want him dead, you're more bloodthirsty and dangerous than he was.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Since you live in the states they could sue you for pain and suffering in small claims court and probably get awarded for your negligence. Plus the judge would be yelling at you since the dog could easily have caused a car crash while chasing a cat. The dog is probably safe though, although he might have to wear a muzzle or be chained while outside.

I keep my dog on leash all the time, even though it's just a small breed. It's more likely he'll get grabbed by coyotes on the trails than him causing any harm, yet why risk it. Dogs don't know any better than to give chase, ignoring everything else. Squirl! I don't understand people that let their dog loose than spend 10 minutes calling them, begging them to come back... Anyway you have a fenced yard, put a lock on the gate and a sign to always close it and lock it again.

Or a spring to keep the door shut even if someone forget to lock it.

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes. People are sensitive and inteligent, but curiosly have more leniency towards their crimes. Isn't it strange?

Sure there must be consequences for the owner. It can be money reparation, that he install a better system on his yard to prevent reoccurence, or that the dog is moved to a different location.

Talking to his neighbours and asking them to give suggestions may be a good idea, as it shows sincerity in wanting to make amends.
They may suggest things like putting a muzzle on the dog whenever it's outside, or always on a leash when not observed, etc.

Yes, that would be fair and considerated. If you like your pet you can assume the other guy liked his as well and think what would you appreciate being done if it was your pet being killed.

FloatingWaffles said:
smroadkill15 said:

I'm not sure what to really do. I want to try and make amends with the neighbor at some point. Pay any vet  bills or get him a new cat or something. Personally, I don't really think a dog killing a cat is worth putting the dog down. Or course I'm being bias. I know my dog doesn't like cats and this is why we don't have one in the house. It would be different if the dog attacked another dog or person. He would be put down immediately. All I'm saying is, every animal has their natural instincts. Cats kill small animals all the time. Imagine if his cat killed a neighbors bird. Would you think he would put the cat down? Probably not. 

Just based on this paragraph alone it seems pretty obvious you couldn't care less about what happened to your neighbor's cat and only care about whether your dog will be put down because of it,  and if that's the case than that is a disgusting attitude to have and you shouldn't have had a pet in the first place then. 

1. You write "or get him a new cat or something" as if it's something that can easily be replaceable like a new shirt. For all you know he could have had that cat for so many years and lived most of his life with it and grown a huge bond with it during that time. Well that bond and love he had with it are gone now because of your dog, him getting a new cat isn't going to just fill that empty spot since it's not the same. 

2. You wrote in another post in this thread that you "know your dog would never attack any person or child" but the fact of the matter is that you don't know this. If your dog is gonna kill a cat then it could easily try again with anyone else it sees. It reminds me of how I think I remember there being something about how if a bear in a circus attacks or kills a human then they put it down because it will see how easy it was to do and will try it again. 

3. @ bolded: Fucking hell, I already mentioned before in this post but talk about you not giving a shit about a cat being dead because of your dog. You basically say that just because you see cats as worth less than dogs and that is why you don't think your dog should be put down because of it. Just because you think less of cats doesn't mean your neighbor feels the same way. It reads like you're trying to make it seem like the neighbor is being unreasonable for perhaps being upset that you killed his pet, which he has every right to be or to say that your dog should be put down. 

It's your dog and you are 100% responsible for its actions since you chose to adopt it and be its owner, and since a cat is now dead because of it that means you cannot ensure that you can keep control of your dog or how it behaves. 

Personally I think once an animal kills something like another pet or attacks something or someone to the point where it almost killed them then it should be put down since it presents a risk that it will attack another thing again in the future, perhaps a person or small child after already attacking one thing and seeing how easy it was.  So yes I think your dog should be put down then. 

1- Yes he could. And one day the cat would die and he would probably get a new one either way. The new cat can't be used as reparation, but also can't be said as if nothing would ammend.

2- Any animal (human included) can potentially kill others, so they may kill bear because a bear that drinked human blood is said to be more propense to kill again, but just basing that something can attack X because attacked Y is flawed. You are assuming he doesn't even know his dog and saw how it get along with humans, kids, dogs, etc... he even said his dog doesn't like cats.

3 - he does give a fuck if you read his replies.

and 4 - it was his father's dog and he seems to terminate the dog, so he isn't totally sincere in the thread.

5 - So if someone kill a person pet should he be killed as well? Or if he kills another human being?

Namiirei said:
Dude, it's 120% your fault, and your responsability.

Add to that, for some people, their pet is the same as another member of the family (it is for me), you'r lucky the cat owner seems like a somewhat cool guy, another one would 100% sue you, punch you in the face or something else.

I personally think your dog need to die, or at least be severely restricted in his movements.
If it happen once again and he attack another cat, or worse, a kid, you will have a hard time explaining why you let a dangerous dog like this one alive.

If your father kill someone do you suggest he is killed since he killed someone that another one loved?

JustThatGamer said:
It's a tough situation, sorry but personally if somebody's dog killed one of my cats I wouldn't rest until that dog was dead, it's not 'just' a cat it's someone pet, companion or even part of the family.

If someone of your family kills a pet or another human and is killed in vengeance would you also accept it?

FloatingWaffles said:
NintendoPie said:
This thread blew up considerably.

OP, you won't get any useful information out of anyone here. You'll either hear cat-haters say there's nothing wrong with the situation or you'll hear cat-neutrals and -lovers say the dog should be put down. Tell us what Animal Control tells you.

@ bolded: The OP already said he sees cats as lesser beings than dogs and admitted that he's biased which is why he doesn't think his dog should be put down for it, so this makes no sense. 

Nope... he said it's natural that dogs hunt cats (which are smaller) as much as is natural that cats hunt birds and mices. He said he is biased because it's his dog, not because dogs are better than cats... improve your interpretation skills.

shikamaru317 said:

Some of the responses in this thread, on both sides of the spectrum, make me feel like mankind is hopeless. We have people suggesting that the cat's life is as valuable as a person's (it's not) and suggesting that dog that will kill a cat will also kill a toddler or infant (that is extremely unlikely given that the dog has never shown any proclivity towards violence against people). We have people suggesting that the OP deserves jail time or to be punched in the face (all he did wrong was forget to check his gate after a friend left who didn't know to lock the gate, something that could have happened to anyone). We have people suggesting that the dog did nothing wrong and even praising the dog for killing the cat. We have people insulting the intelligence of both cat and dog owners. 

Mankind is so screwed.

Yes you are right... I want to know what would these people do in the same situation... and if they will accept any punishment if their child did something wrong since they would be responsible for the child.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Frankly, pay the guy and tell him you will make sure your dog doesn't go out again by himself (Maybe some infrastructure changes in your house idk), make sure your guests follow the rules of the house to avoid something like this again.

I find it an exageration to kill a dog because he killed a cat, maybe in the US it's common to put down dogs but I don't know. Anyway, it's clear that it's your responsability for being the dog owner, but as I said, killing the animal seems way too exagerated.

Anything you have to pay charge it later to your friend

JakDaSnack said:
If we are talking about a species hierarchy, I'd rank the species that tortures other species, puts other species in zoos, causes hundreds if not thousands of other species to go extinct as well as tortures/enslaves their own species much lower than those that don't.

Now things change if we are talking about a specific human, or dog, or whatever, but in general that is how I see it.

Have you put your name on a extermination list so you don't do these horrible things human does?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
JakDaSnack said:

Have you put your name on a extermination list so you don't do these horrible things human does?

So you think killing innocent lives is a solution?  Disgusting...

ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm not changing the subject. I bolded that part of your message as that's what I'm applying to. The species does matter. 

I don't think he was being disrespectful when he said that he obviously knows it's said and said he feels bad for the owner and wouldn't mind paying for any damages, or new cat etc. 

You are though. Your original reply was about criticizing a position I didn't take on hierarchies, and your 2nd reply was "WHATS SO HARD ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THAT A DOG KILLING A CAT IS LIKE A CAT KILLING A BIRD". Both of them had to do with hierarchies, but they're individual points, and completely different from one another.

"Really so a dog mauling a cat and a dog mauling a 5 year old girl is the same thing?"

"A cat that kills a bird is completely different to a cat that kills another cat. How is that difficult to understand?"

They're too seperate points and while they both lead back to hierarchy, it's a definite shift in goal posts. Either way it doesn't matter, because of course you completely misunderstood anything I said and failed to read my original comment. Clearly. You know I don't know about you, but I take topics of death and animal rights pretty seriously. Maybe you should read someones comment before you misrepresent their point? Because I never said what your original post said, and your 2nd post I literally agreed with in my original comment.

I don't think he was being disrespectful when he said that he obviously knows it's said and said he feels bad for the owner and wouldn't mind paying for any damages, or new cat etc. "

His entire attitude in this thread has been to justify something because of the perspective of an animal. There's nothing wrong with taking the power chain of the animal kingdom into consideration, but he has practically acted like he didn't even care about the death of the cat. The troubling thing isn't that he's saying the dog shouldn't be put down, the troubling thing is that he is so quick to defend it without showing any remorse for the cat. You can take one or two sentences he wrote but look at the context and how he carries himself - it's clear that no real sympathy is felt for the owner. Anyone can say "I'll fix that with money - i'm super duper sorry!" But when your dog kills a cat, you shouldn't treat the situation like you accidently drove your car into another person's car. You should treat it with respect and care. I'm sure he's going to reply to criticizers of his post with "oh no I was super sad!" or "I apologized super hard!" but ultimately all we have to go on is his demeanor which isn't a good sign and it's easy to defend yourself past-tense. I'm sure you'll say something like "We can't judge OP just based on what he's typed" in which case i'd say : Why did he even bring this to VGChartz in the first place? No one has a definitive answer and this entire discussion is pretty pointless.

In the end, the heirarchy of the animal kingdom is a valid reason to give some leaway to the dog, but to human beings cats and dogs have practically the same relevance. The reason why nobody cares if a cat kills a bird is because a wide majority of people don't care about birds. If more people cared about birds maybe cats would get put down after killing birds. A dog killing a cat is ok for the dog but not okay for the people in society who own the cats. From the perspective of nature it's fine but for society a dog and a cat are about the same from a priority perspective, and the owner should have put more care in thinking about how the owner feels instead of being instantly defensive because "nature says it's okay". His original post is just so unbalanced as a whole.

I don't want to make this into a big argument because this isn't the thread for it, but I feel like I have to justify my feelings on this for no reason because someone(you) wants to be argumentative for no reason. Seems like if you just read my post we would have agreed a lot.