By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - My dog killed a neighbors cat! Not sure what to do

Of all the people and all the places in the world, you come to VGChartz for advice on this situation?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I'm gonna be honest with you here.

Too many people in my neighborhood don't know what the heck they're doing with their dogs. They don't know how to properly train them to be obedient, walk the sidewalk properly, and approach other people/animals. I have a dumb lady on my street who literally allows a chihuahua to call the shots on which direction she walks the darn thing. I've seen her go past my house walking the dog and then whip around and go the other way because the dog decided to turn that way. Then she goes up into the lawn because that's where the dog wants to go. Another neighbor's larger dog gets out once and a while and they have the toughest time trying to catch him because the animal won't listen when they say "Come boy".

I've also seen a small few who have properly trained their dogs. Who can be in the front yard and not chase after cars, people, or squirrels running by and their isn't a fence to stop them. Who obey voice commands without hesitation.

My point is, you haven't trained your dog properly. Your idea of training is to set up a fence or put a leash on him. But a properly trained dog doesn't need those things to demonstrate obedience.

And so now you have a dead cat as a result. And honestly, if the scene of the killing was gruesome, I'd be worried to keep that dog as a pet. You never know what might cause them to snap.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

It's a tough situation, sorry but personally if somebody's dog killed one of my cats I wouldn't rest until that dog was dead, it's not 'just' a cat it's someone pet, companion or even part of the family.

Frankly, you should face prison time for this, and your dog should be given to an owner who will treat it right.

Something...Something...Games...Something

I don't see how your dog can get put down. Your analogy about cats and small animals is exactly why. I'd say financial fine or payment is more than enough. Btw, you should also get a lock on your gate. That is irresponsible.

Around the Network

This thread blew up considerably.

OP, you won't get any useful information out of anyone here. You'll either hear cat-haters say there's nothing wrong with the situation or you'll hear cat-neutrals and -lovers say the dog should be put down. Tell us what Animal Control tells you.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
In all seriousness Dogs do Dog things and I don't think the Dog should necessarily be put down for this, but your attitude is ridiculous

" It would be different if the dog attacked another dog or person. "

Putting more value on one species than another is ridiculous. I know you were probably trying to prioretize it based on natural instinct(like when a dog kills a cat it is natural but a dog that kills a dog is a savage) but that shouldn't take priority over the fact that a pet is a pet

I'm sure your dog doesn't deserves it, butare you really in the right to make claims of worthness, or to plea for your dog to live? Tbh, i dont know, but probably not.

Really so a dog mauling a cat and a dog mauling a 5 year old girl is the same thing?

Bruh. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
In all seriousness Dogs do Dog things and I don't think the Dog should necessarily be put down for this, but your attitude is ridiculous

Putting more value on one species than another is ridiculous. I know you were probably trying to prioretize it based on natural instinct(like when a dog kills a cat it is natural but a dog that kills a dog is a savage) but that shouldn't take priority over the fact that a pet is a pet

I'm sure your dog doesn't deserves it, butare you really in the right to make claims of worthness, or to plea for your dog to live? Tbh, i dont know, but probably not.

Really so a dog mauling a cat and a dog mauling a 5 year old girl is the same thing?

Bruh. 

Come back when you're a cat and say that.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Bruh. 

No, I mean the attitude that a dog shouldn't be put down for killing a cat, but it should for a dog is ridiculous. I  obviously didn't mean humans, stop nitpicking. Either way, it's arguable that they should be put down whether it's a cat, dog, or a human. I think hurting a human would be the worst, because I'm a human and am biased towards them, but the point is that letting your bias get so out of hand to the point where you practically don't care about the death of an animal at all because it isn't part of the "dog master race" like OP here is too far. 

NintendoPie said:
This thread blew up considerably.

OP, you won't get any useful information out of anyone here. You'll either hear cat-haters say there's nothing wrong with the situation or you'll hear cat-neutrals and -lovers say the dog should be put down. Tell us what Animal Control tells you.

@ bolded: The OP already said he sees cats as lesser beings than dogs and admitted that he's biased which is why he doesn't think his dog should be put down for it, so this makes no sense.