By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Twenty year old woman gets 15 months in Prison for encouraging boyfriend to kill himself

NobleTeam360 said:
Hm so she's going to jail for involuntary manslaughter, she should have got much more than 15 months of jail time.

This is what i thought aswell.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
JWeinCom said:

She also dealt with depression and anxiety.  And one of those things that can come along with depression is thinking that suicide is a good idea.  Obviously, the girl's fucked in the head.  I'm not sure exactly how prison is going to help with that.  

There is no reasonable interpretation aside from her telling him to kill himself.  Especially considering that he killed himself in the manner they discussed.  She But yes, she was on the phone with him as he was doing it.  He left the car, and she told him to get back in.

I haven't heard of anyone arguing for legal suicide, except in the case of of those with terminal illnesses.  Even if they did, I don't see how that is at all relevant.  People arguing for something has nothing to do with whether or not it should be legal.  See: NAMBLA.

It's relevant to this because the person's spouse in these cases are often encouraging or supporting their spouse to commit suicide in a roundabout way. It's not a whole lot different than what she did. Some of these people have mental issues that just don't want to deal with anymore and this is an avenue that can choose.

The regular blue states is where assisted suicide is legal. The baby blue state is where it reguires a court ruling to do it, The red states is where it's illegal. The yellow states is where there's legislation is being considered or a court case is ongoing about it to decide precedent. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_suicide_in_the_United_States

http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org/site/assisted-suicide-state-laws/

I'm not saying that girl is innocent or a nice person. i'm just trying to be objective about it outside of knee-jerk reactions to it. 

NAMBLA is nothing like this and it's not gonna happen anytime soon. If anything needs to be shut down or a situation where free speech shouldn't be allowed is with that stuff. I've come across some of these kind of people on youtube with vids on it. ugh..

It's not relevant, because people arguing for it has nothing to do with whether or not it should be allowed.  Just like NAMBLA is arguing that it should be legal to have sex with boys, doesn't mean it should be legal.  If you actually have a compelling argument for why it should be legal, that'd be different, but just saying that some people think it should be doesn't really mean anything.  

Her actions would not by any stretch of the imagination meet the requirements for assisted suicide in any of the places where it is legal.  I believe they all require a terminal illness, a physician's involvement, and a determination of mental competency.  Her actions don't even vaguely fall into this realm.  

She was only 17, probably thought he wouldn't have the balls to do it and was a cry for help, also I wonder if this was a regular thing and she got sick of it? Like he threatened to kill himself every argument they had or something. Also it's entirely possible she's just a scumbag, who could of at the very least text the guys mum or something

Unfortunately, a case like this needs to set a precedent in our legal system because cyberbullying is very serious and getting worse and worse every year, and until the perpetrators start paying a very real price for it it will continue to get worse.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

JWeinCom said:
Jumpin said:
People tell me to kill myself all the time on this forum.
People tell each other to kill themselves all the time on youtube.

This sets a precedent for anyone who decides to prosecute against such people. Plus if she has mental illness, then this sentence is not going to do much to reform her; she would require some kind of therapy.

Another US citizen, a man, ran down and killed 4 people, and permanently injured a 5th, putting him in a coma. He got 10 years probation, mental therapy, no prison. That's manslaughter much much worse since these people were not planning to kill themselves, and four times over, plus ruining the life of a fifth.

That's like saying people have sex with a drugged girl shouldn't be a crime, because people have sex all the time.  Those are obviously not analogous situations.  

Just like telling someone to kill themselves on this forum (by the way if it happens all the time, you may want to check your attitude cause I haven't seen that happen to anyone else) is not analogous to telling someone you have a close relationship with, who has confided in you that they want to kill themself, who is in the process of killing themself to kill themself.

Incorrect. That would be rape. Also, the guy was not drugged, so it is an invalid analogy due to the false equivalency.

A more accurate analogy would be a woman convincing a depressed guy to have sex with her. Would any court consider that a crime?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
roadkillers said:

http://start.att.net/news/read/article/the_associated_press-the_latest_family_of_boy_encouraged_to_kill_self_h-ap

Like is this crazy to anyone else? I would never encourage it, but to put someone in jail or prison is crazy. To me she just sounds like a terrible person with no character.

So youre okay with encouraging mentally ill people to kill themselves with no punishment?

Its not our job to prevent suicide per se, but we cant encourage people on the edge. Especially in such gross fashion.

I'm not sure how we should punish these people, but 15 months feels light, she will still be young when she gets out. However, they shouldnt be punished like actual murderers either.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Nogamez said:
She was only 17, probably thought he wouldn't have the balls to do it and was a cry for help, also I wonder if this was a regular thing and she got sick of it? Like he threatened to kill himself every argument they had or something. Also it's entirely possible she's just a scumbag, who could of at the very least text the guys mum or something

Did you even read the text messages?

Aeolus451 said:
thismeintiel said:

So, you think Manson shouldn't have gone to jail?  I mean, all he did was tell people to kill.  He didn't do it himself.

The bitch actually told the guy to get back in the car and that it would be better if he were dead.  And this wasn't on one occassion, where it is common sense that the person doesn't literally mean it.  She actually goaded a mentally ill person into killing himself after months of persuasion.

What are you talking about? I never said anything like that.

What she is did is entirely different that what manson did.

Entirely different?  Hardly.  The only real difference is she got someone to off themselves, while Manson got them to kill others.  If Manson got all of those people to kill themselves, he still would have been in deep shit.  And if she doesn't go away, I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't find more people to kill themselves.  The way she talks, she seems to get off on it.  Or at least the thought that people will pity her knowing that her boyfriend killed himself.  Unfortunately for her, and fortunately for humanity, her texts where found out.

celador said:
pussypass still going strong in the criminal justice system

You know, I honestly believe that in this case.  I mean, imagine if the roles were reversed.  A beautiful, but mentally ill, woman commits suicide after her boyfriend continually encourages her to do it for an extended period of time.  He even talks to her while she's killing herself, she has second thoughts, but he convinces her to do it.  There's no way in Hell he would only get 15 months.  Nor have as much sympathy as this lady is getting.  He would be called a heartless dick, which would be true, but there's too many not willing to call her a heartless bitch.

Jumpin said:
JWeinCom said:

That's like saying people have sex with a drugged girl shouldn't be a crime, because people have sex all the time.  Those are obviously not analogous situations.  

Just like telling someone to kill themselves on this forum (by the way if it happens all the time, you may want to check your attitude cause I haven't seen that happen to anyone else) is not analogous to telling someone you have a close relationship with, who has confided in you that they want to kill themself, who is in the process of killing themself to kill themself.

Incorrect. That would be rape. Also, the guy was not drugged, so it is an invalid analogy due to the false equivalency.

A more accurate analogy would be a woman convincing a depressed guy to have sex with her. Would any court consider that a 

Let me try explaining that again.

The point of the analogy is that something that may be harmless can be harmful depending on the extenuating circumstance.  Just because something "happens all the time" doesn't mean it is ok in a particular circumstance.

Telling someone in an offhanded way to kill themself is generally a neutral event.  Maybe mean, but certainly not criminal.  Similarly, having sex is fundamentally a morally and legally neutral event.

But, the details can make it very different.  Details like a person being drugged vastly changes the situation.  And you can't just throw out that detail.

Comparing her actions to someone telling you to kill yourself on this forum is completely ignoring the circumstances of the situation.  Ignoring the fact that she was knowingly talking to a person who has been openly conetmplating suicide and acting as though it's the same as someone telling you to kill yourself on a message board is like ignoring the fact that someone was drugged in the case of a rape trial.  Those details turn an ordinary event into a criminal one.

But, to answer the question, nobody would consider it rape to have sex with a depressed person, because depression tends to curb ones sex drive, and does not make them more likely to have sex.  Depression does however raise your propensity for suicidal thought.  Being drugged makes you more likely to have sex.  Being depressed makes you more likely to kill yourself.  Not the point of the analogy, but it still works on that level.