By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Dark Tower Reviews - 33 Metacritic - 19% RottenTomatoes

finalrpgfantasy said:
"Studio: Sony Pictures"

They can't take a break...

To be fair, they can make some solid movies. It's just that whenever they try to make something extremely high budget that isn't Spider-Man, something goes wrong. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
So reviewers are saying it is as bad as Valerian almost. I do not know what to believe.

I think that movie is probably just grossly under-appreciated.... American markets like differnt things than european, or asian markets.

Its not that far a stretch to think a French director, that takes on a european styled comic, and wants to stay true to it, doesnt please the americans.

It ll probably do better in europe.

I havnt see it yet, but plan on going, my dad is a big fan of the comics (but hes got a broken leg atm, makeing a trip kinda hard & I wanna go see it with him).

None of the trailers looked good, imo.

Have no plans to watch this until it shows up on tv at some point. So reviews didn't change anything for me.

Sony Columbia needs to get their s*%# together. They are sinking fast. They produce almost nothing but crap. Baby Driver and Spider-Man were great, but their quality--and profitable--movies are so few and far between it's laughable. They're going to sink if they don't do some major restructuring, including firing/hiring.

Well, at least it has a chance of getting 19%...

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

It seems the main problem with this movie is that it tries to cram a huge lore and story into 95 minutes. Anyone who has read just the first book would know that cramming it down to 95 mins was not going to end well. The Dark Tower series need to be done with either a mini series, TV show or something along those lines.

Hmm, that's not very high. I wasn't really aware of this movie in the first place, but I still may end up watching it one day, as I seem to like a lot of movies that get panned.

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:
It seems the main problem with this movie is that it tries to cram a huge lore and story into 95 minutes. Anyone who has read just the first book would know that cramming it down to 95 mins was not going to end well. The Dark Tower series need to be done with either a mini series, TV show or something along those lines.

A TV series is planned with the same actors I've heard, based on Book 4. 

If this tanks I'd be surprised to see that.  My guess is ten years from now HBO or someone will do a series based off the books.

shikamaru317 said:
Augen said:

If this tanks I'd be surprised to see that.  My guess is ten years from now HBO or someone will do a series based off the books.

I doubt it will tank financially. Unlike Valerian which tanked recently due to a ridiculously high budget of $177-210m, Dark Tower has a much more modest budget of $60m. Whereas Valerian needed $350-400m to turn a profit and get a sequel, Dark Tower most likely only needs to do about $150-200m to turn a profit. I think it can do that, depending on it's foreign reception. It's forecasted to do $20-25m in the first weekend in the US based on pre-sales. 

I will be very surprised if Dark Tower grosses in excess of 150 million worldwide.  I'd guess around 100 million seems likely.

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:

A TV series is planned with the same actors I've heard, based on Book 4. 

You can't do Book 4 with the same actors, the Gunslinger is a teenager in that book, and most of the other characters are entirely different people who don't even star in the rest of the series