By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Dark Tower Reviews - 33 Metacritic - 19% RottenTomatoes

Still better reviewed than The Mummy.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

You can't do Book 4 with the same actors, the Gunslinger is a teenager in that book, and most of the other characters are entirely different people who don't even star in the rest of the series

I think they plan to have Idris Elba telling the kid from the movie the story of book 4 through long flashback segment, with some modern day scenes as well. Here is the relevant information:

http://ew.com/article/2016/09/21/dark-tower-tv-series-stephen-king-wizard-glass/

I suppose they could do that. Based on the trailers of this movie, I'd rather they just stopped and moved on. They clearly don't know what they're doing

Disappointing as a huge fan of the books. I'll still be seeing it, though.

Despite what RT or Metacritic says, it did not stop Fifty Shades Darker from being a success. I'm just saying, Dark Tower could be a hit for the fans.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

Despite what RT or Metacritic says, it did not stop Fifty Shades Darker from being a success. I'm just saying, Dark Tower could be a hit for the fans.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-dark-tower-detroit-kidnap/

Expected to do pretty poorly for a movie with this budget. They reduced the prediction even further since the reviews came out. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I have a feeling that Dark Tower fans are alot more demanding than 50 Shades Fans. But yeah, I do think there is still a chance of Dark Tower turning a profit at least.

50 Shades was also a shitty book.  A shitty book turned shitty movie.  Fans of said shitty book obviously had no issues with seeing said shitty movie.

A new Stephen King movie? I used to rent those on VHS whenever possible. Too bad they didn't make it like The stand. The longer the better with Stephen King stories.

JRPGfan said:
spurgeonryan said:
So reviewers are saying it is as bad as Valerian almost. I do not know what to believe.

Its not that far a stretch to think a French director, that takes on a european styled comic, and wants to stay true to it, doesnt please the americans.

Intill I saw the trailer of Valerian at the last minute, on Youtube. Like 2 weeks before the movie came out. I never heard of the movie or the comic in my life. That was the problem with the movie. Not the fact its french. Seeing the cool visuals was nice. But from my experiance of films all these years. Is that trailers lie when they focus on the: oh look how cool this is. So I wait for actual reviews. Blue alien woman running in the sand is not gonna give me an emotional moment. If I don't know the series. People didn't like the story. It had issues. So I passed on it. It's not 1997 where VFX will get people into seats.

archer9234 said:
JRPGfan said:

Its not that far a stretch to think a French director, that takes on a european styled comic, and wants to stay true to it, doesnt please the americans.

Intill I saw the trailer of Valerian at the last minute, on Youtube. Like 2 weeks before the movie came out. I never heard of the movie or the comic in my life. That was the problem with the movie. Not the fact its french. Seeing the cool visuals was nice. But from my experiance of films all these years. Is that trailers lie when they focus on the: oh look how cool this is. So I wait for actual reviews. Blue alien woman running in the sand is not gonna give me an emotional moment. If I don't know the series. People didn't like the story. It had issues. So I passed on it. It's not 1997 where VFX will get people into seats.

Avatar wasn't that long ago, nor Gravity or Captain America last year. For all I know Valerian still sucks yet that bolded statement is false.

SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:

Avatar wasn't that long ago, nor Gravity or Captain America last year. For all I know Valerian still sucks yet that bolded statement is false.

Gravity and Cap have stories. I didn't watch Avatar because recycled plots from older movies. My point is that they where using the VFX as the main ploy to market it in the US. That is a sign the movie doesn't have a compelling story along with the effects. I have a connection to Cap. Because I love reading comics and I know the character. Valerian I knew nothing. So i'm going to be automatically weary. Blame Hollywood for programing me for decades of VFX movies with no substance. Transformers Knight being a current example. And if the movie followed the comics perfectly. i commend them they stuck to the material. But from reviews, I wouldn't of liked the original comic then. Since the story and characters of the movie is what failed it.