By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2017: Philadelphia Eagles Win Super Bowl LII

Who will win Super Bowl LII?

New England Patriots 7 31.82%

Pittsburgh Steelers 1 4.55%

Jacksonville Jaguars 3 13.64%

Kansas City Chiefs 0 0%

Philadelphia Eagles 5 22.73%

Minnesota Vikings 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 0 0%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other 1 4.55%

Scoreboard 2 9.09%

Total:22

TEN-PIT 2
DET-CHI 1 JAX-CLE 1 BAL-GB 1
ARI-HOU 1 TB-MIA 2 LAR-MIN 2 WAS-NO 2
KC-NYG 1 BUF-LAC 1 CIN-DEN 2 NE-OAK 1
PHI-DAL 1 BYE   BYE   ATL-SEA SEA by 6

Around the Network

I'll take the Steelers tonight

TEN-PIT 2 DET-CHI 1 JAX-CLE 1 BAL-GB 1
KC-NYG 1 BUF-LAC 2 CIN-DEN 2 NE-OAK 1
PHI-DAL 1 BYE   BYE   ATL-SEA ATL by 10

Welp, if there's a lesson to be learned here, it's don't complain about people not taking your team seriously directly before a big game.

changing my BUF-LAC to LAC.

no taylor no win

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
MTZehvor said:
Welp, if there's a lesson to be learned here, it's don't complain about people not taking your team seriously directly before a big game.

I guess this is directed towards Titans fans. No idea why any reasonable Titans fans would complain when they should be aware of this season's games. A bunch of mostly close wins against below average teams doesn't mean much.

On a related note, looking at the AFC as a whole, there's not much quality this year. Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs all look good and playoff-bound. Then there's the AFC South with two six-wins teams, so it looks like two playoff spots will go to that division for the first time in a while; but neither the Titans or Jaguars instill much confidence. Then there's the question of the sixth seed and it's a sea of mediocrity. Dolphins, Bills and Jets don't look like it. Texans and Colts are done for. Bengals and Browns, nobody believes in them. The Broncos are falling apart defensively. That leaves the Raiders, Chargers and Ravens, all of them with negative records. One of those three teams is going to suck themselves into the playoffs.

Post being referenced.

I think there's a similar issue with the NFC, although perhaps not quite as noticeable. The Eagles and Saints are the class of the conference, and then after them are the Rams, who have looked quite good the past few weeks, but have largely subsisted on a cakewalk schedule and nearly lost to the 49ers, and the Vikings, who...Case Keenum has suddenly started to play pretty well for, and have also benefitted largely from beating up on the hapless North divisions. My money is on at least one of those teams falling off before the end of the season; they both have a slate of really tough games coming up, so we'll get the chance to see if they're for real or not.

And then there's the rest of the NFC playoff contenders. The Seahawks are perhaps the most obvious pick, but are basically relying on Russell Wilson to bail them out of every situation imaginable (Fun Fact: Wilson has accounted for 82.1% of his team's yards, the most by any player in the SB era). Seattle still has no offensive line, no running game, and now have lost arguably their best player in Richard Sherman. The Panthers are still wildly inconsistent; putting up 3 points against Chicago one week and then 45 three weeks later. Then there's the Falcons, who I'm still not convinced have gotten over the Super Bowl, the currently Elliott-less Cowboys who just got curb stomped by those Falcons and blown out by the Broncos with Elliott, the Brett Hundley led Packers, and the "the Bills have won a playoff game more recently than us" Lions.

That's your NFC playoff field at the moment. Probably more competitive than the AFC, yeah, but outside of the top two...do you really trust any of them? Do you have a lot of faith in Case Keenum down the stretch, or Jared Goff? Or even someone like Cam Newton, who has certainly shown he can be good, but just inexplicably just doesn't show up for certain games and then mouths off to reporters afterwards. Maybe Russell Wilson inspires more confidence, but the rest of his team certainly doesn't.

We'll see how things unfurl for the rest of the year; but I'm still reserving judgement on a lot of the new NFC playoff contenders. If the Rams or Vikings get win at least half of their next four games, then I'll start to take notice.

MTZehvor said:
RolStoppable said:

I guess this is directed towards Titans fans. No idea why any reasonable Titans fans would complain when they should be aware of this season's games. A bunch of mostly close wins against below average teams doesn't mean much.

On a related note, looking at the AFC as a whole, there's not much quality this year. Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs all look good and playoff-bound. Then there's the AFC South with two six-wins teams, so it looks like two playoff spots will go to that division for the first time in a while; but neither the Titans or Jaguars instill much confidence. Then there's the question of the sixth seed and it's a sea of mediocrity. Dolphins, Bills and Jets don't look like it. Texans and Colts are done for. Bengals and Browns, nobody believes in them. The Broncos are falling apart defensively. That leaves the Raiders, Chargers and Ravens, all of them with negative records. One of those three teams is going to suck themselves into the playoffs.

Post being referenced.

I think there's a similar issue with the NFC, although perhaps not quite as noticeable. The Eagles and Saints are the class of the conference, and then after them are the Rams, who have looked quite good the past few weeks, but have largely subsisted on a cakewalk schedule and nearly lost to the 49ers, and the Vikings, who...Case Keenum has suddenly started to play pretty well for, and have also benefitted largely from beating up on the hapless North divisions. My money is on at least one of those teams falling off before the end of the season; they both have a slate of really tough games coming up, so we'll get the chance to see if they're for real or not.

And then there's the rest of the NFC playoff contenders. The Seahawks are perhaps the most obvious pick, but are basically relying on Russell Wilson to bail them out of every situation imaginable (Fun Fact: Wilson has accounted for 82.1% of his team's yards, the most by any player in the SB era). Seattle still has no offensive line, no running game, and now have lost arguably their best player in Richard Sherman. The Panthers are still wildly inconsistent; putting up 3 points against Chicago one week and then 45 three weeks later. Then there's the Falcons, who I'm still not convinced have gotten over the Super Bowl, the currently Elliott-less Cowboys who just got curb stomped by those Falcons and blown out by the Broncos with Elliott, the Brett Hundley led Packers, and the "the Bills have won a playoff game more recently than us" Lions.

That's your NFC playoff field at the moment. Probably more competitive than the AFC, yeah, but outside of the top two...do you really trust any of them? Do you have a lot of faith in Case Keenum down the stretch, or Jared Goff? Or even someone like Cam Newton, who has certainly shown he can be good, but just inexplicably just doesn't show up for certain games and then mouths off to reporters afterwards. Maybe Russell Wilson inspires more confidence, but the rest of his team certainly doesn't.

We'll see how things unfurl for the rest of the year; but I'm still reserving judgement on a lot of the new NFC playoff contenders. If the Rams or Vikings get win at least half of their next four games, then I'll start to take notice.

Sometimes ease of schedule just gets you into playoffs for free anyways a la Houston Texans most years. Rams still have a big chance due to 49ers/Cardinals being terrible and the Seahawks floundering. Then most of the teams that do this get taken out by a Wildcard.

So at this point in the season, what's the Super Bowl matchup you guys all wanna see?

I've pretty much written off my Seahawks with these injuries, and that O-line. We might win one playoff game if Russ works his magic, but that's about it.

I'm hoping we get a Saints vs Steelers finale, or Saints Patriots would be fine too. Hopefully the Saints win it. Drew Brees really deserves more than one ring imo.

Angelus said:

So at this point in the season, what's the Super Bowl matchup you guys all wanna see?

I've pretty much written off my Seahawks with these injuries, and that O-line. We might win one playoff game if Russ works his magic, but that's about it.

I'm hoping we get a Saints vs Steelers finale, or Saints Patriots would be fine too. Hopefully the Saints win it. Drew Brees really deserves more than one ring imo.

Pats would be my AFC team, obviously, and out of the NFC teams that look like they've got a realistic shot at the Super Bowl at this point, I'd go with Minnesota. The Vikings have a couple of fantastic CBs in Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes, but they're kind of thin after that and their LBs aren't great in pass coverage, which on paper seems like it would work well for New England's ever moving carousel of good but not great WRs and RBs that get shuffled around to create mismatches. I can see Rhodes shutting down Cooks and Waynes probably being put on Amendola or Hogan (if he can ever get back healthy), but then there's still White, Burkhead, Lewis, Gronk, and Bennett to deal with. Harrison Smith could probably do a decent job of providing help over the top against Gronk if the Vikings wanted, but that leaves man coverage everywhere else, and I don't think the Vikings have the coverage talent necessary to consistently shut down the Patriots' speedsters.

And despite how well he's played this year, I'll take Bill Belichick with a couple weeks to prepare vs. Case Keenum any day. Latavius Murray could be an issue; he hasn't been as good this year as he was last, but the Pats have really struggled containing the run and will probably continue to do so with Hightower out for the season. Regardless, I'd like New England's chances against the Vikings better than just about any 3 loss or better team from the NFC.

If I'm not allowed to pick a Super Bowl based on what I think is a favorable matchup for New England, I'd go Saints vs. Chiefs. Kansas City finally makes it past the divisional round after like 25 years, and as weird as this feels to say, Alex Smith vs. the suddenly vastly improved New Orleans defense is something I'd like to watch.

RolStoppable said:
TEN-PIT 2 DET-CHI 1 JAX-CLE 1 BAL-GB 1
KC-NYG 1 BUF-LAC 2 CIN-DEN 1 NE-OAK 1
PHI-DAL 1 BYE   BYE   ATL-SEA SEA by 10